Welcome to the (sexual) future NSFW

I only want to use the holding hands part of the application.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:

Yeah, but, that blue-eyed, blonde Japanese chick really doesn't have any feelings.

And yet, the move toward virtual worlds and interactions has been going on for years. Many people (myself, included) can happily immerse themselves in worlds like Skyrim, interacting with relatively sophisticated companions like Vilja:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26393/?

...and Inigo:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40960/?

...whose cleverly-scripted programs do an adequate enough job of simulating a personality that is is possible to form an emotional attachment with them, simply by allowing our own minds to fill in the blanks.

The upshot of this is that, when you get right down to it, we are all trapped inside our own skulls, and our perceptions of others are limited enough by our senses that the threshold of what makes a "person" outside of our own identities is easily crossed. Sure, eventually those rote responses from a Skyrim follower become familiar and even a little annoying, but context can help them to remain fresh a little longer, and simple sentimentality can allow us to ignore their faults.

So, until real, Ex Machina style AI arises, all our interactions with these virtual beings will be nothing more than a sophisticated illusion, a trick we play on ourselves when we allow ourselves to forget that they aren't people, and any sexual interaction will remain masturbation.

Of course, for a genuine solipsist, that's what it is, anyway, isn't it?

Eventually, real VR, including sensory deprivation or external sensory cut-off, allowing an undistracted immersion in a Matrix-style virtual world, may prove an irresistible draw, either with or without other "players," who, themselves, may prove indistinguishable from the stock of characters provided by the AI. Who, in such a scenario, would have the will to emerge from their perfect fantasy world? The more perfect such worlds become, and the more ubiquitous, the easier no-lifing will become.

And that's a little scary. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
[...]

Eventually, real VR, including sensory deprivation or external sensory cut-off, allowing an undistracted immersion in a Matrix-style virtual world, may prove an irresistible draw, either with or without other "players," who, themselves, may prove indistinguishable from the stock of characters provided by the AI. Who, in such a scenario, would have the will to emerge from their perfect fantasy world? The more perfect such worlds become, and the more ubiquitous, the easier no-lifing will become.

Reminds me of the Shadowrun: Hong Kong dialogue about some low-lifes in an abandoned freight ship being lost in their VR multiplayer games, literally shitting themselves into physical misery until they get punched out of there.

"Their highscores thou!"
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of the Shadowrun: Hong Kong dialogue about some low-lifes in an abandoned freight ship being lost in their VR multiplayer games, literally shitting themselves into physical misery until they get punched out of there.

"Their highscores thou!"

I just started playing it too :)
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
[...]

"Their highscores thou!"

I just started playing it too :)
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Aug 26, 2015, 8:15:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info