Traps?

Has anyone ever made a viable trap build? I was thinking of making a shadow that was based on using Bear Traps to stop enemies in my Fire Traps, in order to maximize damage, but I'm not sure how well it would work. I would probably also use a bow, but I'm not sure what other skills would be efficient with a trap build, or if it is even viable at end game. If anyone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it greatly.
Remember. You have a -lot- more traps than that.

You have a Trap Support Gem. If you really want to make 'Trap Only' character. You need to think about using those.

Firestorm Trap? Sure.
Rain of Arrows Trap? May as well try it.

And if push comes to shove, you've got Remote Mines too. Which are basically traps, but far more versatile. I like Fireball Remote Mines. Set them up, lure mobs into them, and boom!

Now, Fireball Remote Mines with LMP attached? Well. Fireball Xing.
"Unless I'm Wrong"
----------------------------------------
Lahni ~ Sihane ~ Enywe
Last edited by SadistSquirrel on Jan 1, 2013, 4:49:22 PM
In my opinion I don't see a very large difference between traps & totems.

It would not surprise me if you could put together a build that uses a bit of both, could even work out nicely so you don't have to build to BFE if you're not a Templar to get 2x Totems.
Help save the Kiwis!!

http://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/donate/
Last edited by SevenStrikes on Jan 1, 2013, 5:04:28 PM
Does cast speed affect trap laying speed? Because on default speed it's way too slow for me. I can see it being viable if you could lay them super quick and a bunch of them in a trail.
"
warloga wrote:

It would not surprise me if you could put together a build that uses a bit of both, could even work out nicely so you don't have to build to BFE if you're not a Templar to get 2x Totems.

That's essentially how I use my Witch; dual spork totems for most things, and for champions/things resistant to lightning I use fire trap with chance to ignite on it, which does a lot of damage.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
I haven't tested this yet, but I was considering a bear trap build based around elemental proliferation. The idea would be to use a support setup like so:

Bear Trap
-Added Fire Damage
-Chance to Ignite
-Elemental Proliferation

With the Vulnerability curse (and potentially Flammability as well, with a +1 curse unique) and burning damage passives, it may be possible to clear mob groups with a bear trap or two, provided you get the burn off (crit flasks could help with that if need be).

I picked Bear Trap rather than Fire Trap for this idea (remember, it's just a theorycraft idea atm), because Bear Trap has such ludicrously high damage values at later levels, and the support setup allows it to be AoE through burns, albeit as a DoT rather than burst damage. Vulnerability will affect the damage in multiple ways - I'd also guess it increases the stun duration of the bear trap itself both through the physical damage increase and the % reduced stun recovery.

I'd imagine Ethereal Knives could be used in a similar manner, but I'm fairly sure Bear Trap has higher base damage to begin with.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
"
warloga wrote:

I've put a Shadow build together that did that... Fire Traps and Flame Totems... something like this:

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBAcFWw5IEZYSaRccGYUaOBpsHwIkPCSqJpUnqSlPLKctHzN4NsU22DbpRtdJG0lRTLNVS1nzWitabV3GXfJmnm0ZbXtxeX_GgpuHZYuMjDaQVZwtnWOdrqIuoqOj8qSxpwinXKeEr7e0OLUEwBrB89VP2CTcYt534XPjauOE5CLlGeWO7DjsVe0g8Wz60vv1

I got the above build to about level 55 (before the last character wipe... and hence sent to the Legacy league), but the offence side of things is pretty much done. There's plenty of skill points left to spend on more defensive skills or in other areas.

It had 2 Flame Totems and 4 Traps to utilise.

*** You can also use multiple trap gems of the same type to ensure they're available more often.

For example... I would use 2 Fire Trap gems on different action keys... Fire Trap 1 on "Q" key and Fire Trap 2 on "W" key. You're still limited to only be able to use 4 traps at a time, but by using 2 Fire Trap gems you can have them ready to use more often instead of waiting for the cool-down and trap to become available.

Cheers.

Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
Trap support doesn't work that well because you cannot spam it. If you link it with 3+ other abilities its ok.

I made a fire trapper awhile back with 5 fire trap gems. Was very strong, but, sort of a glass cannon. You could 2 shot most non resistant mobs. 1 shot with flasks. It was fun, but, an awful lot of kiting.
Last edited by PSGMud on Jan 2, 2013, 2:48:37 AM
Early on I had a fire trap and a bear trap with a ranger. Had alot of fun burning monkeys
and helped defeat a couple bosses I didn't have the gear/resists for.
member of The Old Timers Guild
Also playing : D3 valhalla#1240 , Grim Dawn , TQ+IT
These are all some pretty good points, so I'll get around to making a Trap Shadow build and see how it works out. Might be relatively easy to pull off, with the right skill setup. Thanks everyone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info