Damage over time mechanic change clarification?

Are we going to get some information on what exactly will and will not work/ change overview?

I don't want to log in on the patch day with some kind of vague description saying dots have been refactored to work with general damage increases and other stuff. I'd like to begin preparing now if possible.

Will dots be able to penetrate resistance?
Will they be able to get damage conversions (Infernal mantle)?
Will IIR/IIQ support gems work on dots?
Will they work on dots caused by elemental effects (ignite) if caused by the linked skill?
Will base ignite get nerfed as a result?
Considering I currently have a 46 Poison Arrow Ranger this is relevant to my interests.
I too am curious as to how the DOT damage will be affected.
I'd like the information to be fully detailed out by the devs as early as possible, and definitely before its release. I've been working on a viper strike duelist in Nemesis currently, and I'm very excited to begin a poison arrow shadow as well.

One question I definitely would like an answer to would be would curse on hit apply to mobs walking into the poison arrow degen aura? If so, how often would the % chance to curse be rolled for the mob: once, every second, every tick?
"
Gravethought wrote:
Will dots be able to penetrate resistance?
No, that's an on-hit effect and can't apply to something that's applied continuously as DoT.
"
Gravethought wrote:
Will they be able to get damage conversions (Infernal mantle)?
No.
"
Gravethought wrote:
Will IIR/IIQ support gems work on dots?
Yes.
"
Gravethought wrote:
Will they work on dots caused by elemental effects (ignite) if caused by the linked skill?
Yes.
"
Gravethought wrote:
Will base ignite get nerfed as a result?
No idea.
"
Owlert wrote:
One question I definitely would like an answer to would be would curse on hit apply to mobs walking into the poison arrow degen aura? If so, how often would the % chance to curse be rolled for the mob: once, every second, every tick?
No. It's curse on hit. It applies when hitting things, not at any other time.
sad info on penetrating resistances - searing bond just got even less interesting. this skill (albeit recently called 'support' skill) simply is not viable at all. lvl20 hardly is ok for late cruel.

im so waiting for this DoT patch

Puncture
Viper
Poison Arrow
Burning Arrow
Searing Bond
Righteous Fire (melee range)

all these are semi-viable now and fail badly in late game.

but discharge might prevent some nice fixes because anything that helps Burning Arrow will make discharge even more silly..

Can we get more info on what's going to happen with Viper Strike? Will it work with Melee Splash now, assuming you nerf the damage like Chris was saying in that news post? I love the skill and just want it to be viable as the main attack. It doesn't have enough AoE in its current state to be viable, including when multi-strike is attached. It's just not efficient. I've tried it, I have a lvl 25 Viper Strike and linked it with max lvl/qual multi-strike, faster attacks, it sucks for farming for 2 reasons; the lack of AoE dmg and the DoT not damaging fast enough. Why wait multiple seconds for the DoT to finish when you can kill monsters in a split second with any other non-DoT melee skill. Maybe you can make a support gem that makes the DoT damage faster but have a shorter duration? Or just make Viper like that.

Please make this awesome skill be viable as a main attack you build around like most other melee skills!

Great news about MF now finally working with DoT btw!
@wawamelons
#1 Hillock farmer NA
Last edited by WAWAMELONS on Nov 19, 2013, 2:44:17 AM
I can already assume it's a 'no' but I'd like to ask:

will Mind over Matter be able to soak 30% of degen effects as mana degen?

will cast when damage taken be able to trigger off degens?
With stronger DoTs will ES/ Life hybrids also see a rework?
What about RF's interaction with inner force(focus?)? Will it still increase the damage you take?
Rampage league

IGN: MadMalkodet
What about minions with DoT like Burning Miscreation?

Do 'increase minion damage' now increase BM burning effect?
"Embrace the darkness"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info