[1.2.x] Oos' Crit Dagger Capped Block Ranger (Reave / Flicker / Double Strike) Acrobatics or IR

"
candoerfer wrote:
I personally don't like Rat's Nest too much. You can go near 100% crit with Assassin's Mark and power charges so the crit chance on it is wasted and you loose life and resistances.
If you can get your hand on a 300pDPS dagger it is certainly a nice DPS boost however good non-mirror daggers are very scarce. Since you mentioned my buid, I have ~65kDPS selfbuffed (~84kDPS with power charges) with an average bino, so the dagger is suffiecient for all endgame content.

I prefer rat over maligaro because of several reasons.

75% crit chance is huge - equal to 3 nodes, with a 10% dagger its 8% more flat crit, imo this is huge and it can't be rolled on rare helms
10% ias - equal to 2 minor nodes (or one notable) - really good for revers coz helps stack the AoE faster - again, this mod can not be rolled on rare helms
10% MS - I put MS very high on my priority list since this is a very fast clearing build - u dot want your MS to hold you down- again, this mod can not be rolled on rare helms
high eva - additional few %chance to evade comes in handy - on par with mid-high tier rare helm
smaler size - for some reason I enjoy my ranger to be smaller - she looks even more fragile like that

Anyway, the only DPS modifier u can roll on helm, is acc - I find it redundant to have 2 x acc rings and have acc on helm when even one T1 acc mod on whole gear is enough to have no problems.

maligaro
50 crit chance - huge, equal to two nodes on tree and cant be rolled on rare gloves but rats takes the win with 50% more crit chance compared to malis
50% crit multipler (perfect legacy) this provides a huge dps boost - but on gloves u can roll ias (up to 16% - which is also a huge dps boost and also provides faster AoE stacking for reave users which is very important, especially for slow <1.5 aps weapons), furthermore u can roll added phys dmg on gloves which is another dps booster. Overall the dps difference between my gloves and a perfect mali is minor (in favor of mali) but there is no helm that comes close to overthrow rats nest (any rare helm u put will bring your dps down quit a bit, only Abyssus beats it but at what cost?). With non legacy mali things become cristal since the 36% multiplier is on par with perf ias/phys rare gloves in terms of dps.
mali has minor evasion that practically does not increase your chance to evade.

So in the end I think its more of a matter of availability of mali/rat and the alternative rare glove/helm u can get.

Using both mali and rats is also ok atm since %life on tree is fewer then before and base life is higher so the lack of gear parts with life is not as noticeable.

Heres a breakdown of gear I would use with links on poe xyz (standard)

dagger:
bino (no link needed here, goes around 15-18 ex, lucky if less) - overall not the best dps dagger, but the life regen mechanic will be really good for survivability. And like alread posted with a 6L chest u are looking at 70k AoE DPS which is really all u need.

soul etcher: 993940 (price range 50-70 ex) - roll ias on it via masters, divine or two to bring the tyrannical to 165%+ and gg - the best part is that when u get more EX u can roll the better ias or hybrid on it and get an almost mirror worthy dagger

atm no other daggers Id go for in the price range between these two

chest:
6L lightning coil - 25-30 ex atm - very good defensive chest especially with acrobatics, only problem it has is the lack of res an the fact u will probably have to use purity of lightning instead of tempest of herald of ash - but if u can manage to get rings/glove or helm/boots/amulet with lightning res and cap this res without purity of lightning this chest become BiS for the build. 30% phys dmg mitigation is just insane.

morbid shell: 1016120 - good rolls, add one res via masters, one via et/ex and u got a solid cheap 6L chest. Not sure how much the seller wants but Id offer 30 ex for it and u have room to improve on it when u get more orbs, only bad thing about it is its low base

onslaught hide: 976123 - not much to say, u wont need a better chest - bo is 75 ex, negotiate it at 60 ex and Id say grab it :) - in fact Id go for this one if I had 150 ex and if I could bring the price 15-20% down.

Soul Sanctuary: 804234 - 40 ex is solid price for this

boots
-obvious solution are atziri boots, that go for 1 ex for perfect roll, if u can get a corrupted pair with 4% dodge on top Id say that this is BiS item for the build. OFC no res on this item means other items are more strained. If u opt for The coil than these boots are out of the question - but from my point of view caster pose a bigger threat end game than phys hits and these boots provide 16% spell dodge - along with your 30% from tree = 46% - this is insane - almost half of the spells thrown at u will miss - most of the time u wont need to switch to a spell block shield - for dominus lightning and crema boss I advise getting a legacy saffel to be on the safe side. If u cant cap res with these boots go for any 2-3 res/30ms/70+ hp boots - should be obtainable for a few ex

shield
-crest is the most obvious and cheapest and most likely best option - u can get a good rare shield with 1500 eva, 80+ life and res also (if it has 35+ block than it will be better than crest).

rings - u are looking for life, acc, res, mana regen, int, str, life leech on rings - if u can manage to find good diamonds its for the best, but beware diamond rings are several times more expensive then equal rings of other bases with similar rolls. So just get the affixes right without worrying about the ring base if u are on a budget.

some exaples
for users who opt using a coil: 769735 solid ring to overcome the coil drawback

kreken knot - 993551 - depends how much u need the stats (res on the ring) but worth 10 ex for sure

Rift Twirl - 980922 - bo 4 ex-a Id try to bring it to 3 (solid pruchase)

amulet - u want life, legacy crit multi (on std), crit chance on it - if not using crest, life leech is good too, after that phys dmg, mana regen, res. after chest and wep this should be the most expensive part of gear imo.

examples:
Onslaught gorget 335663 - just three affixes u need but they are gg! - slap one more via master crafting (crit chance) and u are set

Maelström Pendant Onyx - 761456 - again slap crit chance via masters and gg!

Soul Choker Onyx Amulet - 473545 - with a 10 ex bo this one is solid - u don get crit chance but u get a lot of attributes (str and int is lacking in the tree) so u can easy other gear.

and many more ofc :) I just don't have the time to go tru all of them.

Hop this post helped. Hf

EDIT: BoR variant is solid for mid tier playing in std, in new leagues BoR has been nerfed to hell, that said for temp leagues with first char I would recommend going BoR/maligaro/bino/crest - u will have quite high block early on, and altho the dps will be inferior to 6L chest variant its a lot cheaper.
Imo Bor was fine and should not have been nerfed :(

items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
Last edited by missuse on Sep 1, 2014, 6:31:48 AM
Hi Misuse, thanks for that post, incredibly helpful.

What's the thought on chaos resistance? It seems like there is so much other stuff to try to optimize/get that it's rather hard to work much of it in. Is around 0 (so +60 overall) a pretty good spot to shoot for? Also, with 3% life regen built into the tree, I was wondering if its good to run blood rage? Would certainly give a huge amount of life leech.

IGN: IskyOfTheSea
"
missuse wrote:
I prefer rat over maligaro because of several reasons.
[...]

You forgot that Maligaro's also give 5% IAS. So it's 25% crit + 5% IAS vs. 50% Crit Multi (and some dex). Maligaro's should be the clear winner here. Since you will probably use Whirling Blades for movement anyway, the 10%MS is not that significant imo.

My initial post referred to getting Rat's Nest on top of Maligaro's, the crit% would then be clear overkill and devalue the item accordingly.

If you consider the opportunity cost of each item, I admit that Rat's Nest will come out on top as you can roll several valuable mods on gloves (flat phys, AS, leech) that are not obtainable via a helmet. Such gloves are however extremely rare and most people will not have access to your mirror gloves.

Edit: It seems I was wrong about the IAS of Rat's Nest and it provides 15% (the 10% of missuse already took the 5% of Maligaro's in consideration). I think I would still prefer the Maligaro's but it is a really close call. If you have good gloves( AS, phys, leech), then Rat's Nest is definitely the superior choice.
Pupicitas: lv. 100 Shadow
[2.1] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave Shadow: /994474
EU Officer of Umbra Exiles: /732431
Last edited by candoerfer on Sep 1, 2014, 1:46:37 PM
Seems like a close call, but it's either rat's nest or Maligaro's. With the atziri boots, it seems quite difficult to get the necessary resists without just insane gear so having all 3 just doesn't seem practical at all (and that's with a high res rare shield instead of perandus)

You basically have chest/belt/rings/ammy to try to get most of your resists and then get some combination of the uniques depending on how much more you need in terms of resists. One thought would be to run purity of elements instead of tempest/herald of ash to get all the uniques equipped, but I somewhat doubt its worth it.

Also, not sure its that important, but the rat's nest is 15% IAS so it would be +10%IAS with rat's nest compared to the malgiaro. (though I still think the malgiaro would be the higher dps performer with legacy 50% multi)
IGN: IskyOfTheSea
Last edited by Isky on Sep 1, 2014, 12:47:12 PM
I just ripped a lvl 73 ranger doing this build (the Acrobatics variant) and I have a few observations and tips:
1. A Goldrim is a poor companion to lvl 66 map bosses :D
2. Get a Lazwhar. Don't take it off. Ever. Though admittedly it wasn't enough to save me...
3. Even after dropping to standard, with an equipped Saffell, a Rat's Nest and maxed resists (bought a 10c ring just to give it a test), I could not stop stage 1 Dominus from one-shot'ing me with his Lightning Fist even with a Jade and Granite popped. However the Lightning Stream was survivable with the Saffell. Mind you the fist is dodge-able for anyone without latency/FPS issues but dodging one-shots is not viable in HC regardless.
4. A Rainbowstride might have saved my char from ripping and might have made Dominus stage 1 safer to try. But I doubt it would have without 4.5k hp pool at least which I didn't have and couldn't afford anyhow.
5. It's very easy to run Grace + Herald of Ice \ Ash + Tempest Shield + Reduced Mana now. I went a step further and had two Reduced Mana in the shield and Gloves: (1) RM + Tempest Shield + Power Crit on Hit (2) RM + Grace + Herald + Molten Shell.
6. The Beyonds are no joke. Even now after they were nerfed, you will need an Amethyst Flask on you at all times in Merciless and possibly in mid-late Cruel as well.
7. I don't see how you can survive anything without A Granite and a Jade. That leaves room for two life flasks and no Mana so you'll need a Hybrid instead of one of the life flasks for slow mana\life regen mod maps.

Overall, while the build might be doable in Hardcore\Beyond, it doesn't mean it should be done. You'll need some very good and expensive gear to make the build survive let alone tank and the HP will never be as good as it should in HC.

The way I see it, a WoE\BoR build would be considerably easier, safer and cheaper for HC. However, if you're doing Standard\Rampage I STRONGLY suggest this build over BoR\WoE. Level 70 onward your clear times will be more then enough to make up for the lack of tankyness and the rare 10% xp loss deaths.
Hi again guys!

I was wondering if you could give me some more pointers on how to get more dps out of my
gear? Got 55k reave and 78k doublestrike atm which is a hell of lot more than I`m used to
but now I want to see how far i can take this duelist:)

Have around 13EX budget for upgrades but as all my current gear just barely gives me
capped resistances and enough int and strenght its extremely hard finding upgrades that
doesn`t cost a mirror and more.

As my end goal is Atziri I am strongly considering spending the rest of my currency on a legacy
saffels :)

gear
Spoiler
Last edited by Bearbarion on Sep 3, 2014, 1:46:24 PM
Been running a modified version of this on rampage, and it's working well so far. My current gear is:

Spoiler
Gems in the helm are just being leveled, though I swap in a purity aura for some fights.

with Saffels in the offhand to be swapped in for spell heavy bosses (piety, megara, etc)

Currently, my tree at level 83 is:
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm42v6wgu7YMZjgBe0359dXiu7g7-ukjuVvqjihutPeL8xSP2TGBnoLcXTZKNfQSxh3aA4TB8lWZKfeJeUUc4ludUjb8k_QW1_97C7NQjtMUwcdvnHoFirN2oRwZLjWyMS3jYdv8cOkK5Plb1DkisZttuXfIRlizhl9Bw1ZAbBx59446KidNwVpUucFKaE_DVKgvb1ElR8-q1SKZ_7UGxsxa_JpVh4lVLjDadqtaKfyu309fLpzT2_Ll8jAvssDY9Y0Py4ejWmyYyAQ==

I'm working on the revenge of the hunted cluster currently, for more % life. Later, if I hit level 90'ish, I may respec a bunch of points and go for the duelist nodes, but those are so far away with like 7 levels of pure filler traveling, it's not worth it for me right now.
Last edited by Sinzar on Sep 5, 2014, 9:11:25 PM
"
UltraCoward wrote:
I just ripped a lvl 73 ranger doing this build (the Acrobatics variant) and I have a few observations and tips:
1. A Goldrim is a poor companion to lvl 66 map bosses :D
2. Get a Lazwhar. Don't take it off. Ever. Though admittedly it wasn't enough to save me...
3. Even after dropping to standard, with an equipped Saffell, a Rat's Nest and maxed resists (bought a 10c ring just to give it a test), I could not stop stage 1 Dominus from one-shot'ing me with his Lightning Fist even with a Jade and Granite popped. However the Lightning Stream was survivable with the Saffell. Mind you the fist is dodge-able for anyone without latency/FPS issues but dodging one-shots is not viable in HC regardless.
4. A Rainbowstride might have saved my char from ripping and might have made Dominus stage 1 safer to try. But I doubt it would have without 4.5k hp pool at least which I didn't have and couldn't afford anyhow.
5. It's very easy to run Grace + Herald of Ice \ Ash + Tempest Shield + Reduced Mana now. I went a step further and had two Reduced Mana in the shield and Gloves: (1) RM + Tempest Shield + Power Crit on Hit (2) RM + Grace + Herald + Molten Shell.
6. The Beyonds are no joke. Even now after they were nerfed, you will need an Amethyst Flask on you at all times in Merciless and possibly in mid-late Cruel as well.
7. I don't see how you can survive anything without A Granite and a Jade. That leaves room for two life flasks and no Mana so you'll need a Hybrid instead of one of the life flasks for slow mana\life regen mod maps.

Overall, while the build might be doable in Hardcore\Beyond, it doesn't mean it should be done. You'll need some very good and expensive gear to make the build survive let alone tank and the HP will never be as good as it should in HC.

The way I see it, a WoE\BoR build would be considerably easier, safer and cheaper for HC. However, if you're doing Standard\Rampage I STRONGLY suggest this build over BoR\WoE. Level 70 onward your clear times will be more then enough to make up for the lack of tankyness and the rare 10% xp loss deaths.

Dude - you cannot block attacks when equipped with Saffell Frame. That's why you died to Dominus Lightning Fist because you had no block to stop his Lightning Fist - which is an attack not spell. That's the danger when you have build that cannot do simultaneous high block and high spell block - you rely on Saffell to get spell block, but if you equip Saffell you cannot block regular attacks.
Doing pretty well lvl 90 finnaly!
going to keep lvling (untill at least 95, that's how much i like this build xD) Gonna take that +1 max cold res cluster because why not and it will help relive some res from gear and maybe be able to use atziri's step. saving for a good 6L 3resi+life and legacy 110%+saffel right now. And hopefully a mirror dagger WAY into the future :)

My gear:
Spoiler

for spell block and/or reflect

going to look for legacy saffels so that i dont have to rely on lazwar for high block and simmilar helm but eva version

THX for Oos for making this great build and also to Missuse for the great advise for pvp and help he gave me one day (You might not remember tho xD)
"
Wishuponastar wrote:
Dude - you cannot block attacks when equipped with Saffell Frame. That's why you died to Dominus Lightning Fist because you had no block to stop his Lightning Fist - which is an attack not spell. That's the danger when you have build that cannot do simultaneous high block and high spell block - you rely on Saffell to get spell block, but if you equip Saffell you cannot block regular attacks.

I didn't use the Saffell in Beyond. And I didn't rip to Dominus. I ripped mapping.

In Beyond, I didn't even own a Saffell. I climbed up the sceptre, killed the generals, and TPed out as soon as I found out that the 2 topaz + granite + jade + Perandus aren't good enough to handle phase 1 Dominus. It's not an issue really since most HC builds don't even attempt Dominus until at least level 80 when they have the life pool to absorb a desync lightning fist. I was just so pleasantly surprised by the builds ability to handle Piety that I felt it deserved a cautious attempt :D

Later, in standard, I decided to reattempt the fight with better gear to try and see if I can out power phase 1. I tried different approaches to the fight including the Saffell to harvest power charges with tempest shield + power charge on crit and then flickering for a crit hit and immediately Whirling out. I also tried introducing The Herald of Ice instead of Herald of Ash to see if I can freeze Dominus reliably enough to kill phase 1. Also, I tried better levelled and quality gems, and different curses. Nothing really worked reliably enough though I killed dom without dying about 50% of the time relying on portaling out and pure luck not to desync at the worst possible moment.

As for a real survivability solution fit for HC, at the time, I was contemplating a Lightning Coil + Purity of Lightning but didn't have the currency. So, I started farming piety and lvl 66 maps. Sadly, I got killed by a desynced fireball from The Conqueror Wurm in a white Orchard Map.

In retrospect, while I suspect that approach to the fight would have worked well enough, I also feel it would have been highly situational and would have stressed my other items for even more resists and life. Worse, since this is a melee crit build (rather than a caster, bow or trapper), there's a higher requirement for hp AND accuracy... Sum totalling in more currency and time investment then other HC melee builds.

Once you reach that point, you start thinking about a BoR... And end-up with a WoE and BoR build.

Again, I still feel if you can get even a mediocre dagger then this build is very suitable for SC/Rampage. The odd death to some stray boss projectile or some desync might make it too adventurous for in HC\Beyond, but in SC it's just not that much of an issue. More so, since a BoR is insanely expensive right now so the economically this build just might have the edge.

Also, I still use the toon for certain master missions and specific maps since I can outfit it better here. It's rather a low priority since I don't see how I could ever afford the dagger this build deserves in the long run, but right now, I've already 5s/4l my armour in standard and I'm planning to at least 5s/5l it since I enjoy the build's game-play immensely and feel it would be sufficient to handle most game content especially in a party.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info