Why I do not care for the Lightning arrow nerf (video in description) + New comparison video

neon, my apologies. The first equation was way off.

Fixed my post.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Sure it's easy, but for damage, Split/Elemental Arrow completely destroys it.
Split arrow fires 6 arrows without any supporting gems, with each of those arrows chaining.

LA's aoe effect diminishes the bonus granted by chain because the damage does not double up (not to mention you only fire 3 arrows). LA requires both LMP and Chain, which both in effect diminish the dps and "waste" the effective AOE of the skill, lightning arrow also causes a lot of lag and is not enjoyable to play with in a group, however the impact of the spell is very enjoyable and does lead to a feeling of power not found with split arrow.
IGN: Feels
Last edited by analdischarge on Dec 19, 2012, 3:57:44 PM
"
analdischarge wrote:
does not double up

This is news to me. How certain are you? Will test. I had assumed that 5 overlapping LA hits could cause the same target to take damage more than once.

Also, really. The name. Do you want to be taken seriously? It's tough for me to take you seriously.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Dec 19, 2012, 4:02:50 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
"
analdischarge wrote:
does not double up

This is news to me. How certain are you? Will test. I had assumed that 5 overlapping LA hits could cause the same target to take damage more than once.

Also, really. The name. Do you want to be taken seriously? It's tough for me to take you seriously.

Well... Sir, on the internet, the rule of not looking things at face value, and judging by real content/inside, is the most true one. So don't look at names, really. It's just an identificator, so you can differentiate everyone from this giant amount of people.

Having to choose between a troll with perfect, elegant name, and a really good, analysis-prone poster with "dirty" nick - it's an easy choice. For me, at least.

Sorry for OT, had to.
IGN: Neonesis / Violetlight / Sirencurse /... I have too many alts...
I like to hang out in Global sometimes.
Last edited by neonesis on Dec 19, 2012, 4:07:41 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
"
analdischarge wrote:
does not double up

Well zakaluka, what i was trying to say is the the chain effect of LA diminishes the damage of the original AOE by replacing a portion of the damage with a chaining effect, in some cases this is good and some it would be bad.

When i said it doesnt "double up" i meant the original AOE from different arrows of LMP do not trigger a triple AOE, they as a group can only effect mobs once with their AOE.

Resulting on both LMP and Chain gems lowering the potential AOE dps of the arrow (remember this is really not very meaningful because firing 3 arrows that can chain long distances brings a whole lot of utility)
Last edited by analdischarge on Dec 19, 2012, 4:13:26 PM
How was LA nerfed?
"
baal887 wrote:
How was LA nerfed?

All we know is it will be nerfed in 0.10, and that will be more of a traditional AoE, instead of being autoaim multi-target skill.
IGN: Neonesis / Violetlight / Sirencurse /... I have too many alts...
I like to hang out in Global sometimes.
Last edited by neonesis on Dec 19, 2012, 4:31:46 PM
I decided to make another video honestly comparing Lightning Arrow to Split arrow, without the use of crit flasks.

To summarize: with my build and items both skills function very similarly and both have their pros/cons. Lightning arrows packs a larger punch whereas split arrow provides a cleaner screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB0rXRY7Ilc
Last edited by analdischarge on Dec 20, 2012, 7:51:17 AM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
"
analdischarge wrote:
does not double up

Assuming level 1/2 LA, shot can spread to 2 targets: If I fire 3 arrows (no chain) into a crowd of 3 mobs and all 3 arrows hit all 3 mobs and they are tightly packed, none of them will take more than 1 hit (I have tested this a few times recently, because I thought you COULD hit more than one mob in such instances). It is possible that 1 would evade an arrow but the splash damage from another mob hit could hit it, but it won't take more than one hit from the same arrow origin (lmp makes all 3 arrows have the same "origin").

I believe a chain resets the origin for each individual arrow, though, thus 3 arrows hitting the aforementioned crowd causes 1 hit on the initial hit and no shared splash damage, but the 3 chains could create a 2nd hit on each of the targets as well as a splash from each of the 3 2nd hits to the other 2 mobs, and then repeating this a 2nd time, leaving you with a 3-9-9-9 hit pattern as the best possible to a tight pack of 3 mobs (30 hits in 1 shot and 70% less damage: effectively 9x base damage. EDIT: 30 * .7 * .6 = 12.6x base damage).

It's also possible each phase is considered an origin and thus cannot spread to more than one mob that already got hit in that phase, which, in a pack of 3 mobs, would result in 3-3-3-3 hit pattern ("only" effectively 3.6x base damage. EDIT: 5.04x).

That said, a large pack of 9+ mobs all tight could result in a 9-9-9-9 hit pattern. 36 hits at the cost of 70% less damage = 10.8x (EDIT: 15.12x) base damage, on level 1/2 LA. Level 7 adds 3 additional hits per phase (14.4x. EDIT 20.16x). o.O

For comparison's sake, level 1/2 LA with LMP on a 9 mob pack can hit all 9 targets at a cost of 30% less damage, effectively 6.3x base damage, without doubling the mana cost with chain.

I have a level 60 Resolute Technique Bow user (OldManWithABow got resurrected!) that I'll test this out on. What better way to exploit this mechanic than a "can't miss" keystone!

EDIT: I think I did some bad maths, the "less" damage are individual multipliers (aka base * 0.7 * 0.6 = 42% of base rather than 40% + 30% = 70% less).
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
Last edited by TehHammer on Dec 20, 2012, 12:20:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info