[Release]Ingame Itemlevel and DPS Display using Autohotkey

"
JackDangiels wrote:

Cheers for being a good sport about it.

Ah, who doesn't love a good discussion now and then? :D

I'm in the 'too stronk for macros' camp.

Plus, if I lose the argument then I'm a-learnin'. So swings and roundabouts.

"
"
Lask001 wrote:

You should read two posts above yours. It pretty much invalidates everything you have to say.

While Chris has given a green light, I do not feel it is justified.
I have edited my post that adds more information, regarding what is automation and what is an interface.

It still appears that, for this script, you are misunderstanding its use. A script that does not communicate with the PoE client can in no way be considered a cheat/hack/exploit in any way shape or form. Period, end of story.

Other scripts, that access memory locations in the clients running process, are more akin to the types of scripts you should be putting your time and effort into fighting. This one, you should walk away from, its not a fight you can win or even justify.

In fact, had the OP not used the word 'ingame' in the title, this would be a non issue, since nothing about this script is 'in game'. A 'window' appearing OVER another window is, by definition, over, not in, another window.
Last edited by JackDangiels on Nov 11, 2013, 1:32:51 PM
"
JackDangiels wrote:

Being last to the party is never fun :(

http://www.exaltingpoe.com/
http://www.poemods.com/index

The idea I have is creating something that automates the look-up process for you, instead of having to do the searching yourself.

I was also unaware these useful sites existed, thanks.
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
"
JackDangiels wrote:

It still appears that, for this script, you are misunderstanding its use. A script that does not communicate with the PoE client can in no way be considered a cheat/hack/exploit in any way shape or form. Period, end of story.

Other scripts, that access memory locations in the clients running process, are more akin to the types of scripts you should be putting your time and effort into fighting. This one, you should walk away from, its not a fight you can win or even justify.

In fact, had the OP not used the word 'ingame' in the title, this would be a non issue, since nothing about this script is 'in game'. A 'window' appearing OVER another window is, by definition, over, not in, another window.

I understand its use perfectly. I understand how it works perfectly.

While Chris has stated in another thread, "Basically if it does not interact with the client, we cannot ban you for it"
This is a huge blunder. It basically gives players an excuse to create scripts that increase their survivability, automate a lot of actions, and much more.

What I am discussing is the terminology and the process of automating an action, which can be seen as an unfair advantage.

Let me give you an example.
People use the logout script to get out of dangerous situations.
My view is that if a player would have died otherwise without using the script, and survives by using the script, then that is an unfair advantage.
-----------------------

I will restate this for discussion.
Anything that automates any process, is an unfair advantage.
Which can thus be defined as cheating. That is my fair opinion.

There is a difference between scripts which automate a process/action, and design interfaces that merely provide users more information.

It is this distinction that is where players would be defined as cheating.
"

I understand its use perfectly. I understand how it works perfectly.

While Chris has stated in another thread, "Basically if it does not interact with the client, we cannot ban you for it"
This is a huge blunder. It basically gives players an excuse to create scripts that increase their survivability, automate a lot of actions, and much more.

What I am discussing is the terminology and the process of automating an action, which can be seen as an unfair advantage.

Let me give you an example.
People use the logout script to get out of dangerous situations.
My view is that if a player would have died otherwise without using the script, and survives by using the script, then that is an unfair advantage.
-----------------------

I will restate this for discussion.
Anything that automates any process, is an unfair advantage.
Which can thus be defined as cheating. That is my fair opinion.

There is a difference between scripts which automate a process/action, and design interfaces that merely provide users more information.

It is this distinction that is where players would be defined as cheating.

That's all well and good, but you are posting in a specific thread about a specific script. Your example again uses a script that DOES communicate with the PoE client. This one does not.
PoE allows you to 'Copy' an item to the clipboard of YOUR computer. This is information ggg WANTS you to have. WANTS you to use, and use anyway you see fit. The fact that a script automates viewing YOUR clipboard, has nothing to do with GGG, their game, their code, or any intellectual property of theirs.

If your definition of cheating is so narrowly construed, I'd have to believe you want everyone's computer and internet to be the same as to allow no direct advantage.
Last edited by JackDangiels on Nov 11, 2013, 1:54:44 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm off to buy myself some real cheats, I'll be able to get in game faster, run ahead and ninja loot, kill more mobs, get more exp you won't be able to stop me! Muahahahaha.

I'm buying a new SSD, the best 'cheat' available.

@Krinny your argument is more suited to be aimed at /oos and logout macro's which you seem to have so much of an issue with. You really shouldn't be provoking a storm in a discussion thread of a completely different and unrelated script.
Last edited by fatalizewow on Nov 11, 2013, 2:01:23 PM
I think I was referring to scripts in general, not specifically directed toward the one provided in this thread.

This has caused some confusion which I apologize for.

I still find interfaces like this that provide users information handy.
I don't mean to derail the thread :(.
It's something that deserves it's own topic rather than posting in this one.
Last edited by Hixxie on Nov 11, 2013, 2:05:19 PM
i hate people screaming "OMG 3rd PARTY PROGRAM BAN THIS NOOB WHO MADE TREAD NAOW BAN BAN, USLESS CHEATER OMG!!"

this guy is clearly trying to improve the game and there is stuff that GGG can implement to make this easier for people and take this idéa and making it to something good.

props to the guy who made this thread and the effort of trying to imrpove the game rather then bashing for a 3rd party program or whatever
signature?
Love the little bit of feedback that was gained in the past 12hrs. But lets be clear. This is just to make life easier. How many times have some one bought a item and had the wrong stats with a simple slight of eye or a incorrect item level(reason item lvl is for sockets and stats a item can get when crafting). This helps calc the dps and show the ilevel of a item before you even trade.(Found out this even works in trade window last night.) If you are going to bash the script that is welcomed as well. I as a scripter tend to like the negative feedback. Helps me improve on my stuff so maybe one day I might change your mind. If you do not want to use the script, That is up to you. But with the response that this thread has started over the past 12hrs maybe soon some one from GGG will give us and others the gohead for the script. If they deam it safe.

As stated above this does not send any thing to the client it does not read any thing form the client. But what the client it self sends to the computers clipboard.(Which I love by the way.)

The thought of using a direct draw overlay in earlier posts was brought up. But I don't think I will. Did a little research on it last night. This would make me have to offer a package download with a .dll. In my eye this is a no no as you never know what the .dll might be doing after inject. To much of a risk in my eyes. So for now you are forced to use fullscreen windowed or windowed mode. I might make a small GUI with what is sent to clipboard from the game it self. Might help with those who wanted to save the data on a item. Maybe a save button to save the item data to a .txt file that you pick.

And again thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I can't reply to each one. But went form 2pages to 8 most was just flaming but that's all good. At lest its brought to light.
Tied of trying to figure out iLVL or DPS in game. Check this out http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/594346
Last edited by Nipper4369 on Nov 11, 2013, 2:18:41 PM
"
Nipper4369 wrote:
Love the little bit of feedback that was gained in the past 12hrs. But lets be clear. This is just to make life easier. How many times have some one bought a item and had the wrong stats with a simple slight of eye or a incorrect item level(reason item lvl is for sockets and stats a item can get when crafting). This helps calc the dps and show the ilevel of a item before you even trade.(Found out this even works in trade window last night.) If you are going to bash the script that is welcomed as well. I as a scripter tend to like the negative feedback. Helps me improve on my stuff so maybe one day I might change your mind. If you do not want to use the script, That is up to you. But with the response that this thread has started over the past 12hrs maybe soon some one from GGG will give us and others the gohead for the script. If they deam it safe.

As stated above this does not send any thing to the client it does not read any thing form the client. But what the client it self sends to the computers clipboard.(Which I love by the way.)

The thought of using a direct draw overlay in earlier posts was brought up. But I don't think I will. Did a little research on it last night. This would make me have to offer a package download with a .dll. In my eye this is a no no as you never know what the .dll might be doing after inject. To much of a risk in my eyes. So for now you are forced to use fullscreen windowed or windowed mode. I might make a small GUI with what is sent to clipboard from the game it self. Might help with those who wanted to save the data on a item. Maybe a save button to save the item data to a .txt file that you pick.

And again thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I can't reply to each one. But went form 2pages to 8 most was just flaming but that's all good. At lest its brought to light.

You did a good job. I suspect GGG will implement this functionality in the future, you have at a minimum shown that there is a demand for it and have also shown that it's possible by simple means.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info