Gem sink idea?

As we all know skill gems drop fairly often and eventually fill up your stash tabs. If you don't have the patience to sell in global and have multiples of the same skill gem, all you can do is vendor it for 1 measly scroll fragment.

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I think it would be cool if maps had a single socket (maybe white color that can accept any gem?) and allow the player to socket it with a gem which would cause the skill or support gem to affect some amount of the mobs in the map. This could create some crazy hard maps depending on the gem and the IIQ bonus could be adjusted based on the gem, level and quality.

I'm just sick of vendoring random gems that I already have one of that there is nothing I can do with it outside of spamming global.

"
cyc10nez wrote:
all you can do is vendor it for 1 measly scroll fragment.

Not true. You can use them to get resist rings (single gem plus iron) or onyx amulets (each gem per colour plus any amulet) from the vendors yet. I'm very sure that there will be other and more purposes and recipes to come, and expect that gem trading will more or less quick be limited to 1)quality gems 2)gems of high rarity (non-rewards, rare supports) and 3)basic (offclass) gems for beginner chars.

On the other side, the amount of rewards was already lowered and replaced by some item rewards, this process could also be taken further - but I'd prefer to have more abilities in choosing gems (especially mid/late game). The 'effective' access (as, one choose per quest) to support gems, auras and other active 'support' skills is really hard limiting my char progress for some, several builds.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Why would you ever sell a gem for a resist ring that you can buy or 3 wisdom scroll?? 3 for onyx amulet is just stupid. No better than just a scroll fragment.
"
tinghshi wrote:
Why would you ever sell a gem for a resist ring that you can buy or 3 wisdom scroll?? 3 for onyx amulet is just stupid. No better than just a scroll fragment.

Well hypothetically, if you are trying to chance dream frags or one of the onyx uniques then you could maximize your odds by getting more of these to chance. Granted getting a sapphire ring, or a onyx ammy drop is fairly common, but after buying all the that I could from vendors, I still had 50+ chance orbs. So if you're really trying to get one of those items fast, then buying chance orbs and creating white sapphire rings/onyx ammys can seed that process up.
IGN: BoomFirez
IGN Alt: BoomDischarge
You may get not the rings you want to the right time, or only magic ones with a price you cant pay (both situations often happening to me under race conditions)...
You may need more than offered, or get only very low values on them, too... the recipes just simply offer more options.

Same for the onyx - later you will have lots of gems you dont need, in any colour... why not take 3 and a crappy other amulet to trade for a 18+ all stat amulet? its the easiest solution for access to some offclass stats for gems...
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Actually, using skill gems to make jewelry is extremely powerful. Much better than 3 fragments. Basically, what you do is, at level 60+ take any iron rings you find in the wild, and turn them into always-perfect sapphire/topaz rings then chance/alch them. Some of the best jewelry is found doing this to dozens of iron rings at once and depleting your unnecessary gems. You do the same for Onyx necklaces, turning any high white necklace you find into a perfect roll white. Then you alch or chance it.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
is the item lvl based on the iron ring level?
yes
is there a trick to getting the rings perfect? its random isn't it? do you just have to open and close the window a bunch of times?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info