EB Lightning Templar

Yeah I didn't think they had touched the passive tree last patch, oh well, shall remake the tree right now.

EDIT: Looks like they changed the way the site parses the tree links, not the tree itself. Since the url's are now half the size of what they were.

"
Armleg wrote:
Im doing this builds on my very first HC char as we speak and its working out great so far.

A nice mix of defensive and offensive passives in the first 20 levels makes it a safe starter for HC imo, we shall see how it ends up working out for higher difficulities, also i wont be moving all the way up to EB, but i liked the build in general with the skillgem setup and playstyle.

Instead of heading to EB i'll be getting some more defensive nodes elsewhere.

Yeah it is a good starter build, only reason I decided to go EB was to run a couple more aura's at end game without having to get gear with mana and mana regen. You'll definitely need the defense once you hit Merciless, can get a little crazy if you're solo'ing Chamber of Sins, or the Pyramid, with all the spark mobs and necromancers.

And fair warning.. Vaal is not friendly to this build, our slower movement speed and slower overall attack speed make it difficult to dodge his smash, obviously it can be done, but it takes a little bit of kiting and timing, kinda like a Marauder.

"
hellzer wrote:
How well this build does in end-game PvP? Have you tried it?

Since this build is made for PVE, I haven't tested it in PVP. Only thing I'm sure of is that Tempest Shield works well in PVP in general, although you'd need to get some block chance for spells, via passives or via the rathpith unique shield, which is I think level 69 or something. Otherwise any spell casters will cripple you.

I AM ERROR
Last edited by Bloodlash on Dec 6, 2012, 9:31:19 PM
"
Bloodlash wrote:

Yeah it is a good starter build, only reason I decided to go EB was to run a couple more aura's at end game without having to get gear with mana and mana regen. You'll definitely need the defense once you hit Merciless, can get a little crazy if you're solo'ing Chamber of Sins, or the Pyramid, with all the spark mobs and necromancers.

And fair warning.. Vaal is not friendly to this build, our slower movement speed and slower overall attack speed make it difficult to dodge his smash, obviously it can be done, but it takes a little bit of kiting and timing, kinda like a Marauder.

Thanks for the tips!

Im now level 30 and moving onwards in Cruel, Vaal wont be a problem as im playing with a summoner, just sit back and relax pretty much!

Im going heavily with shield, increased resistances with shield, and increased defences with shield.

Lets hope i survive cruel to start with!

The biggest issue ive had with this build so far is that its apperently so god damn hard to get a good Elemental dmg 1h Mace so im stuck with using magic ones atm :/

Cheers
Last edited by Armleg on Dec 7, 2012, 10:37:17 AM
do you kill all bandits every time?
"
Armleg wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

Im now level 30 and moving onwards in Cruel, Vaal wont be a problem as im playing with a summoner, just sit back and relax pretty much!

Im going heavily with shield, increased resistances with shield, and increased defences with shield.

Lets hope i survive cruel to start with!

The biggest issue ive had with this build so far is that its apperently so god damn hard to get a good Elemental dmg 1h Mace so im stuck with using magic ones atm :/

Cheers

I'd advise looking into buying the unique Sceptre (there's only one) for level 40. But if you can't do that, just keep trying to Alchemy the ones with higher implicit elemental damage (20% ones, or 15% at least at higher levels) you can get quite a few of them dropping at Fellshrine if you farm there for awhile, then you just need Alchs, and whetstones, you should be able to get something half decent after a few tries. This is what I'm using currently:

Unavailable

Physical Damage is important, because Lightning Strike converts PD into Lightning, and if you can get raw lightning damage as well even better. Because LS is a melee skill, magic weapons won't increase it's damage much. Basically if you can't get good raw elemental damage, go for PD.

"
Zebbze wrote:
do you kill all bandits every time?

Yes. I thought about going for the resistances or HP, but since the skill hike to EB takes so long, the extra passives were too good to pass up. But if you decide not to get the passive, HP is the better option.
I AM ERROR
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Bloodlash wrote:

I'd advise looking into buying the unique Sceptre (there's only one) for level 40. But if you can't do that, just keep trying to Alchemy the ones with higher implicit elemental damage (20% ones, or 15% at least at higher levels) you can get quite a few of them dropping at Fellshrine if you farm there for awhile, then you just need Alchs, and whetstones, you should be able to get something half decent after a few tries. This is what I'm using currently:

Unavailable

Physical Damage is important, because Lightning Strike converts PD into Lightning, and if you can get raw lightning damage as well even better. Because LS is a melee skill, magic weapons won't increase it's damage much. Basically if you can't get good raw elemental damage, go for PD.

Sweet weapon indeed, thats pretty much what im looking for, high physical dmg with high elemental mods, preferably lightning.
Im using this piece of crap atm, but its working at lvl 33.
Unavailable

Gonna see if i can ding lvl40 today and farm out Fellshrine some, also we farmed "Thicket" on normal, that was pretty awesome place to farm tbh, might get a bit too dangerous on higher difficulities tho.

Once again, thanks for the tips :)

Cheers!
Never tried farming Thicket, must give that a go.

I'm level 63 atm, but having trouble finding a good ES equipment piece to power up EB. Discipline is crazy with EB, at level 15 costs like 150 mana but gives you around 400 with the ES passives boosting it. Still need an extra Reduced Mana so I can link another 3 aura's to it. Running 5 aura's atm without ES gear, and still have enough mana to spam LS and barely go down.

Once I acquire a decent pair of ES gloves, and 4 link them, I will be able to run another aura or two.

This weapon I found has good PD but no raw lightning damage, but if you don't get a better one by level 41 I'll sell this one to you:

Unavailable

Or this one, which has fire damage but less physical:

Unavailable
I AM ERROR
So, i just got PK'd by my friend in HC by mistake..

We were about to "help" the All resistance Bandit, and i accidently pressed kill, due to used to it on legacy.

This however made my summoner friends zombies/skeletons to instantly kill me. Seriously, less than half a second and i was dead.

So what have we learned from this kids? Make damn sure what option you're taking on bandits, in hc as a party.

That is all, i might be intrested in that mace now btw since the char is on Legacy now :)

/Armleg
can u guys give some tips about the items? just how to build this character on early game? same as late?
Cos i dont understand, if u take EB why dont u use any ES item?
thanks so much :)
Last edited by Avenk on Dec 16, 2012, 5:40:41 PM
You do use an ES item, but generally only one, the helm. At present all my armour comes from my chest and shield (with gauntlets and boots contributing a little) and all my mana comes from my helm.

Since it's no use taking EB until around level 31 anyway, at early game, you can run Armour/ES hybrid stuff until then, then switch to pure Armour for everything except helm. Pure ES for helm. And start trying to link slots on your armours. So at early game resistances + life is important. Even if you take some resistance nodes on the passive, you can use passive respec points later to clear those when you have good resistance gear.

But in all seriousness, I ran with stuff I picked up off the ground up until Ruthless when I got EB and hit the high 30's.

This is my gear (which really isn't that great) at level 67.

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Just try to get Life on your armour gear, and mana + resistances as secondary (if you can get ES as a bonus on anything, like the belt, it helps too) with the addition of that amulet I've managed to top 2k mana, so now I can run 7 aura's (Determination, Discipline, Wrath, Anger, Hatred, Clarity, Tempest SHield) and have just enough mana left over (170) to afford my totem (at 128 mana cost), my regen is around 61 mana per second.

As an addition to the tree, go for the three buff effect increase nodes, the last one is 18%, if like me you are running 7 aura's, it makes a huge difference :D
I AM ERROR
Really nice build. I'm testing it as we speak, and so far it's looking really good.

One question though, which flasks would you use to optimize this kind of setup the best?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info