Server Support?

You guys are obviously doing awesome and i am excited to start playing soon ( any day now hopefully)
Anyway a quick question and warning maybe . How you guys going to deal with the popular demand of server and bandwidth . I mean Diablo 3 did not handle it too well and they were a pretty big company ( with a very shity game lol) .
I really hope you guys are ready cause I want to be successful (probably not as much as you guys ;))
But ye me 2 cents all best of luck.
Moving this to the General thread!

We've got plans and backup plans in place to do everything we can to ensure server stability, we're doing everything that can be done!
Balance & Design
"
Rory wrote:
Moving this to the General thread!

We've got plans and backup plans in place to do everything we can to ensure server stability, we're doing everything that can be done!

gogogo!!!
In my opinion, it is out of GGG's hands.

There are limits to how many players can be supported on launch day. If too many people try to play at once then there will be server issues. The reason this was so bad with D3 was that there were so many hundreds of thousands of players on day 1.

You should not blame the developer for this (be it Blizzard or anyone else). You might say that the test is: If it goes wrong, how long does it take to fix it? But even that is unfair, because the more players there are then the longer it will take to fix.

Server capacity does not scale linearly. A server that supports 20,000 people does not have the same cost as 10 servers that each support 2,000 people. A server that supports 20,000 is going to have hundreds or thousands of times the cost as a server that supports 2,000.

So, it becomes a question of how many smaller servers do you have available on launch day? Obviously GGG have data to predict the size of the initial playerbase, but this will not be completely accurate. It does not make sense to massively overspend on capacity as everyone wants the game to be successful, and a company with no money cannot maintain a successful game.

TLDR: servers being overloaded on day 1 is a Good problem. it means that people actually want to play the game and additional capacity can then be added.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info