Offensive auras?

Are there any plans in the works to have offensive auras that either damage or debuff?

If yes: awesome.

If no: why not?
Righteous Fire can be considered an offensive aura. A number of enemies have damaging auras like Oozeback.

My guess is that these are more difficult to balance in a way that doesn't make them obviously beneficially in all situations.
Forum Sheriff
Last edited by tpapp157 on Nov 5, 2012, 5:05:27 PM
I think a degen arua would be great for tanky builds, and a (pardon the diablo term) "thorns arua" would be very interesting to see.
I doubt they would be too hard to balance. They didn't really seem to take over d2, did they?

For instance an offensive lightning damage aura would obviously run well with a shock on hit build. Many other characters could easily replace it with Added Lightning Damage. Many people run an aura anyways. Not many people would have the mana or life reserves to run another moderately expensive aura without making some sacrifices.

It just seems like a staple of the genre is just absent. I'd just like to know why.

I really, really hope that Righteous Fire is a sign of things to come.
What are Wrath,Anger and Hatred
"
RudBoy1018 wrote:
What are Wrath,Anger and Hatred

I believe he was referring to passive offensive where if an enemy gets close to you or hits you they take damage, Wrath for instance would be considered an active offensive where it requires you to take an action to apply.
Fight censorship
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/
That's exactly it. Something like Holy Shock that nails nearyby creatures with lightning damage. Or perhaps something that automatically fires a projectile every n seconds at enemies within range. Or perhaps a curse-like offensive aura that applies a debuff to nearby monsters.
Check poison arrow and totems
ign: Ron
I'd enjoy offensive auras, but it would be hard to balance them. I don't think that anything like the paladin's auras in D2 would be possible. I'd just gear up on tanky items, find a shield, and AFK/run around the map while things died.

On the other hand, a slower version of Righteous Fire that doesn't require a ton of points into a very specific build would be nice.
"
RegulusX wrote:
I'd enjoy offensive auras, but it would be hard to balance them. I don't think that anything like the paladin's auras in D2 would be possible. I'd just gear up on tanky items, find a shield, and AFK/run around the map while things died.
I don't really understand the comparison. The paladin's offensive auras in D2 aren't particularly effective at killing, so why shouldn't something comparable be possible? If people want to run around killing things at a quarter of the speed other builds can (and I'm certain I would make such a character), I don't really see a problem with that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info