Arc

((100*1.34)*0.5)*5=335
▄█▀█▀█
"
inf666 wrote:
What am I missing ?

What you're missing is that 'Increased' and 'Reduced' are additive, and 'More' and 'Less' are multiplicative. The Increased Damage on Chain is not nearly as powerful as your calculation assumes; it's added to Spell Damage, Lightning Damage and all that. Additionally, the Less Damage penalty is actually more powerful; it is applied after all 'Increased' damage modifiers.

With a fairly light build, at 100% Spell damage, 50% Lightning damage, and Arc's 50% Damage Effectiveness, your Base damage is...
100 * (1 + (100/100) + (50/100)) * 0.5 = 125 Damage (3 hits totaling 375)

Chain at lv18 grants 34% Increased damage and adds 50% Less Damage to the bunch. I bolded Chain's bonuses for clarity.
100 * (1 + (100/100) + (50/100) + (34/100)) * 0.5 * 0.5 = 71 Damage (five hits totaling 355)

Pretty hefty decrease in single-hit damage, minor decrease in overall damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 2, 2013, 1:37:48 PM
There is obviously an outcry among the players who use this skill.

common complaints:
-mana cost is too high
-50% dmg reduction
-hits a maximum of 3 targets

My suggestion is put a range on the number of chains and randomize this number for every hit:

E.g.
level 1 Arc hits enemy: and chains 0 times
level 2 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1 or 2 times
level 3 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-3 times
level 4 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-4 times
level 5 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-5 times
level 6 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-6 times
level 7 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-7 times
level 8 Arc hits enemy: and chains 1-8 times
level 9 arc hits enemy: and chains 1-9 times
level 10 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-10 times
level 11 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-11 times
level 12 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-12 times
level 13 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-13 times
level 14 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-14 times
level 15 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-15 times
level 16 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-16 times
level 17 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-17 times
level 18 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-18 times
level 19 Arc hits enemy: and chains 2-19 times
Level 20 Arc hits enemy: and chains 3-20 times ( you can make it so that the statistical likely hood of chaining 20 times is a lot lower than chaining 10 times etc.)

This game mechanic that I proposed fits nicely with the overall lightning damage philosophy. Lighting damage has the largest damage range out of the 3 elemental damages. This allows variability and unpredictability in damage (sometimes you get high bursts of damage or sometimes you 'tickle' against a single target e.g. champion). This phenomenon is even more pronounced when coupled with increased critical hit damage multiplier.

Against big packs of mobs, with the above mechanic for arc, you also preserve some of that unpredictability and variability. When you cast Arc, there is a chance that your attack will hit every enemy in the pack and there is a chance that it will chain 1 or 2 times. As I have stated, this sort of unpredictability is a signature theme for lightning based spells. Take for instance spark- it is very random!

The quality bonus is fine imo. Please don't change that and make OP or something.

Lastly, I would love to see this implemented in-game. I absolutely love this skill!!
A way to increase build and skill gem diversity:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/307289#p2659471
Last edited by nociception on Mar 3, 2013, 4:41:37 AM
love the skill but hardly make it spamable when linking = \ wish the mana cost is lower
Last edited by Ragecrit on Mar 3, 2013, 10:55:13 PM
lets see what 10.2 will bring, with 5 buffed skills the chance is high Arc is one of them :D
IGN: kReiZy
arc with mana leech and doedre's tenure 4L gloves= never run OOM
"
slyme wrote:

Mana leech is bad argument for mana cost, why should you need mana leech gem for skill what is doing lower dmg, hitting lower amount of monsters and dont have built in partial defense(freeze).
GJ you are not out of mana while others spells get those LMP/GMP, other nice supports, while they dont need wasting green socket with mana leech gem.
▄█▀█▀█
Last edited by Madus on Mar 5, 2013, 3:29:51 AM
"
_Madus wrote:
"
slyme wrote:

Mana leech is bad argument for mana cost, why should you need mana leech gem for skill what is doing lower dmg, hitting lower amount of monsters and dont have built in partial defense(freeze).
GJ you are not out of mana while others spells get those LMP/GMP, other nice supports, while they dont need wasting green socket with mana leech gem.

True. FIX IT
Ok so 10.2 is not gonna buff ARC, back to suck state..., Do you love it too when you find leech life/regen life/resist lightning mob and hitting with your low side of ARC scale damage for 50 ? Dat feeling.
▄█▀█▀█
use fork effect on arc maybe cool
Last edited by DirtyBall on Mar 6, 2013, 12:48:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info