GS tunings

"
Drakx wrote:
Does this mean the skill is going to be balanced around uniques? In that case, if there is a legendary staff that doubles spell damage, wizard skills should be reduced by 50%?

I'm not opposed to the change, but if the reasoning is Erqi, than I think that sets a very bad precedent on how the game is being balanced.

No, that illogical. The mace was designed to be high damage but at the cost of attack speed. The mace was designed around GS maras w/ consideration that they would have to sacrifice speed for damage. With GS not working the way the person who created marohi intended the marohi becomes about 40% faster than intended.

Like I said, 30 DPS (not %, flat 30 dps) more than my mace but gives me 30% more DPS than my current mace while my mace is 40% faster.

Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Moosifer wrote:
"
Drakx wrote:
Does this mean the skill is going to be balanced around uniques? In that case, if there is a legendary staff that doubles spell damage, wizard skills should be reduced by 50%?

I'm not opposed to the change, but if the reasoning is Erqi, than I think that sets a very bad precedent on how the game is being balanced.

No, that illogical. The mace was designed to be high damage but at the cost of attack speed. The mace was designed around GS maras w/ consideration that they would have to sacrifice speed for damage. With GS not working the way the person who created marohi intended the marohi becomes about 40% faster than intended.

Like I said, 30 DPS (not %, flat 30 dps) more than my mace but gives me 30% more DPS than my current mace while my mace is 40% faster.

I'm pretty sure when they were designing the mace around ground slam, they understood how ground slam worked. If there is a problem with the mace, they should alter the values on it. Changing an entire skill around 1 item doesn't make a lot of sense.

More importantly this is all mere speculation as GGG has not even clarified why the change was made.
It's an attack skill that uses a weapon. Therefore it should use the weapons attack speed. This is more of a common sense issue, as well as balancing one.

"
Drakx wrote:
"
Moosifer wrote:
"
Drakx wrote:

I'm pretty sure when they were designing the mace around ground slam, they understood how ground slam worked. If there is a problem with the mace, they should alter the values on it. Changing an entire skill around 1 item doesn't make a lot of sense.

More importantly this is all mere speculation as GGG has not even clarified why the change was made.

Why shouldn't they make groundslam, an attack, conform to every other attack in the game? It is totally illogical that it used a set default attack rate opposed to using the weapon rate. It should be fixed for that reason alone, regardless of the consequences of the fix. It makes no sense to have an attack not use weapon speed.

I wish GGG had fixed groundslams attach rate, before nerfing it last patch, but whatever, as they also gave a damage boost to slow weapons, which was amplified by groundslams set attack rate.
Why the change was made? Because making a weapon skill that ignores weapon speed is kinda dumb. *Edit: beaten.

@QQ earlier on. Kurai actually has a slightly higher DPS than all but one of the 5 higher level maces and there's very little difference between them. It's now just as good as the other maces above it.
Last edited by hubb on Oct 31, 2012, 7:08:48 PM
I'm not opposed to the change. I'm just curious to find out the reasoning. Standardizing similar skills makes all the sense in the world; changing values on skills based on 1 item does not.

Last edited by Drakx on Oct 31, 2012, 7:10:39 PM
"
Drakx wrote:
I'm not opposed to the change. I'm just curious to find out the reasoning. Standardizing similar skills makes all the sense in the world; changing values on skills based on 1 item does not.

It wasn't just the unique, although that was the most egregious example having its drawback removed by groundslam, it was every weapon using groundslam with a sub 1.17 attack/second attack rate, staffs, maces, mauls, 2 hand, getting a boosted attack rate. The damages on weapons are balanced to compensate for being slower, which groundslam circumvented.
"
Drakx wrote:

I keep citing marohi because it's the most extreme of examples. Also there are much more of them out there than there are 450+ karuis. On that same note, it's easier to get a 350+ karui than any other 1.2 mace. I'm in no way saying this is a good "nerf" for only the marohi, but either all skills should have a built in a/s or none should. There's no reason to have different attack speeds on weapons if one of the most popular skills is going to negate it.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
I didn't read much else, but FriarJohn is right I think. Someone else said the duration was .85, the base speed was 1.2. In which case, any maul below 1.2 speed (after IAS) is weaker, and those above are stronger, Though even at 1.2, IAS on weapon counted to GS, so it'd be over 1.2 to be a real benefit. I'm all for nerfing God Slam, but I'm not so much for making every mara get a new weapon.
First post on the new wesbite and it doubleposts :D
Last edited by Xikorut on Oct 31, 2012, 8:25:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info