How will elemental curses work with elemental penetration?

General Questions:

1) Which applies first when taking damage?

An elemental Curse? Or an elemental penetration?

2) I believe curses can take you below 0% and increase damage taken, but can elemental penetration do the same?

Examples:

I have 20% fire resist, the fire resist curse on me (lets say 20%), and about to be hit with fireball attached with fire penetration (lets also say 20%).

I lose 20% from the fire resist curse.
I have 20% penetrated from the fire penetration support gem.

Is that -20% total both applies?

0% with Fire curse applying but no penetration?

-20% with penetration first then the curse?

??
Last edited by Waves_blade on Oct 29, 2012, 1:53:54 PM
What is penetration?
"
hubb wrote:
What is penetration?

Check the announcement thread.
It says they ignore resistance, so if you have no resistance there is nothing to ignore.
S L O W E R
I think the penetration gems are mostly there to be used without needing curses, but giving up a support slot that could be filled with something more valuable.
or to stack against particularly resistant foes.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
The penetration supports mean that any hit from the supported skill will treat the enemy's resistance as X% lower than the actual value. This can be below 0.
If you consider the possibility of encountering players in PvP with over-max resistances, these gems can be more helpful than several other gems.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The penetration supports mean that any hit from the supported skill will treat the enemy's resistance as X% lower than the actual value. This can be below 0.

Oh maaaaan

Elemental Weakness + Specific Weakness Curse + Specific Penetration support is going to be fricking crazy.

:D
"
Waves_blade wrote:

Elemental Weakness + Specific Weakness Curse + Specific Penetration support is going to be fricking crazy.

:D

You will get less benefit each time you lower your opponent's resists. Think about that a sec. It's an additive bonus, and it's coming in large chunks.

Start with a level 28 PvP opponent that has 50% cold resist.
At level 28, elemental weakness can be as much as 33% (with no qual).
Apply 33% elemental weakness, opponent now has 17% cold resist.

Elemental weakness added 60% more damage! That's a lot. [= (1-.5) / (1-.17) - 1]

Add a cold curse, another 33%? Opponent now has -16% resist.

Cold weakness curse added 40% more damage. [= (1+.16)/(1-.17)]

Now come to the support, whether you want to use it or not will probably depend on what other supports are available.

Use your example of 20% resist (I have no idea how high these go!) - Now the opponent has -36% resist, which adds a meager 17% more damage. That's really not terrific for a support gem.

If you do this same analysis for PvE, where at least half your casts are aimed at monsters with 0% resist, stacking penetrations looks less attractive. Of course, you might just not have a whole lot of choice for better support gems.

This still is all very good because it adds more choice. But remember: the farther you lower enemy resists, the more attractive every other bonus becomes. If you can get cast speed, additional projectiles, or even flat damage (!), those might end up performing better in some situations.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 29, 2012, 8:54:30 PM
Still, having at least two of these to ensure low target resists will drastically raise the viability of a build that doesn't have access to multiple damage types.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info