Not Sure If Chris Is Serious or Trolling Here

It would be nice if people stopped cluttering the forum with multiple threads about this same issue.

That is all.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
"
First let me state that I think the name of jeweler orbs should be changed. People have already used the short term jew in a durragatory manner in chat. Now people will view it as being racist. As ridiculous as that seems. I can guarantee you that if nigger, gook,cracker,etc. were short for some type of currency and commonly used in chat there would be an uproar. Do I think this is ridiculous , yes.

I think the main problem that needs to be focused on is what GGG expects from there moderators.

MODERATORS NEED TO BE UNEMOTIONALLY INVOLVED EMPLOYEES.

Im sorry but if GGG doesnt want a big mess they just need to pay a few people to moderate that will show up and do there job and go home.

Using players to moderate will always become a war and things will escalate no matter how well intentioned the current mods are.

"Jap" is an offensive term. Therefore we should ban the word "Japan". C'mon it's nonsense, and no I don't think there would be an uproar if any of those other words was used as shorthand.

Quit running on the euphemism treadmill. The moment you banish one offensive word, another takes its place. Just look at idiot -> moron -> retard -> mentally handicapped.

I just wonder if I'm the only one who sees the irony in people being offended that others have been offended.

I'm behind a change to the orb's name. No fuel, no fire.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"
Koaxx wrote:
I just wonder if I'm the only one who sees the irony in people being offended that others have been offended.

i think people need to stop crying every time someone says something they dont like

if we truely are a MATURE community ( and of the other gaming communities im involved with we are the most mature imho) then freedom of speech should apply.
if i want to call jewelers or a jew orb then i can do that
if you dont like that you can call it sometimes else
if i want to make a racist joke you can chose to ignore it and me if you find it that offensive that is your choice
you are not forced to listen to what i say there is an ignore feature in this game and its there for a reason

i just find i utterly ridiculous that GGG is forced to change a name of an item just to appease some thin skinned children who cant deal with words.
they are words
get over it

what do you do when someone in real life says something you dont like? do you cry to your mother ? do you call the cops?
if someone is blatantly harassing someone that is another issue but the simple use of "jew" as a shortening and the occurance of jokes around that is the dumbest shit i ever heard
i hope these people never turn on a television they will get offended
i hope they dont watch movies because they will also get offended
i hope they dont watch youtube or listen to music or anything else because they might get offended
lets censor everything so we can appease some thin skinned children who like to make a big deal out of something stupid

(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
On a side note:

Without all those shortterm missinterpretations that are different in each country anyway, it still would be wise to rename several orbs again.

Pickit, while currently not programmed for working correctly with Path of Exile, has some problems with color-searching due to the really colorfull game.
Could proceed to advanced methods of searching for pixelcombinations like "Orb".

A good reason to stay away from continual-naming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
"
Xtrem wrote:

so we can appease some thin skinned children who like to make a big deal out of something stupid

Shame you directed your reply to me. I was merely pointing out something I found humorous.

That said, I think the inability to treat others in a respectful manner, especially when failing to do so willingly (and after being warned, at that), shows a complete and utter lack of maturity. If anything, the reactions to this "situation" have been far more childish than anything I've seen in this game or from its community since joining.

Moreover, the irony continues as a select few are stomping their feet out of fear of not getting their way, and over a thing that amounts to little more than certain people refusing to learn a lesson, or respect others. Which sounds childish?

On a side note, having heard most of what happened, I disagreed with how the mod initially handled the situation. Having seen the reactions to said handling, it's fairly clear that its consequences were inevitable. A well-handled conversation would've alleviated the whole problem, but the lack of willingness to cooperate has led to ... what we have here.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
I hope this works for international viewers: http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2009/11/09/2737574.htm

Skip to about 4:50 for when he finally gets on stage. Yes, the whole thing is worth it. Julian Morrow at the 2009 Andrew Olle media lecture in Australia. Crap quality video, but the content more than makes up for it.

Using "jew orbs" as an abbreviation is... well, it's an abbreviation. I am attempting to sell my jeweller's orbs - jew orbs - and I put it into short hand because I don't want to use more letters than I have to. I communicate my intent to sell my jew orbs and you buy my jew orbs and we're happy.

What I am not communicating is my intent and desire to sell orbs that are literally made out of Jewish people. Would you like to buy this orb that I have? It is literally made out of a Jewish person who I killed and turned into an orb. No? No, because that's blatantly offensive and designed in this case to illustrate a point. I don't consider the simple abbreviation of "jew orb" to be offensive, but I'm not Jewish, I have no Jewish ancestors or relatives, and as the above video should show, I don't have the moral right to take offense.

"wts jew orbs" isn't wrong, "hi i'm selling Jews, trade at furnace" warrants a mute or ban. One is a condensed message, one is... yeah.

edit: and now i realise this post is... not helpful at all. change the name or something. craftsman's orb. done.
IRON MAN
Last edited by Dreggon on Oct 28, 2012, 4:13:48 AM
"
Koaxx wrote:
"
Xtrem wrote:

so we can appease some thin skinned children who like to make a big deal out of something stupid

Shame you directed your reply to me. I was merely pointing out something I found humorous.

That said, I think the inability to treat others in a respectful manner, especially when failing to do so willingly (and after being warned, at that), shows a complete and utter lack of maturity. If anything, the reactions to this "situation" have been far more childish than anything I've seen in this game or from its community since joining.

Moreover, the irony continues as a select few are stomping their feet out of fear of not getting their way, and over a thing that amounts to little more than certain people refusing to learn a lesson, or respect others. Which sounds childish?

On a side note, having heard most of what happened, I disagreed with how the mod initially handled the situation. Having seen the reactions to said handling, it's fairly clear that its consequences were inevitable. A well-handled conversation would've alleviated the whole problem, but the lack of willingness to cooperate has led to ... what we have here.

i dont personally spew anti semetic or racist coments but if other people want to who am i to tell them they cant?
freedom of speech

you can say whatever you want
words are only words and can only affect you as much as you let them
if you cant handle words that is no ones problem but your own
i just think its out of control that GGG is taking it so seriously
"
Koaxx wrote:

im not offended by them but others should not have to change just because you are offended
you being offended affects only you so you need to deal with it not me
if i offend you DONT TALK TO ME
that simple
problem solved G'day
"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want. Get used to that, because it applies to many more things than an online video game. That freedom is a freedom from the government, not from a medium for which you've agreed to be held to the owners' discretion.

Also, get used to the fact that you don't have the right to tell others what to believe or what to feel.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info