Act 2 Boss

The Portals offer one kind of gameplay element, a bigger area offers a completely different gameplay element, most importantly, a sense of 'true' victory. Honestly, all these players bleating on about 'hardcore' when the Portal system is so utterly cheesy... Just stick a Waypoint at the door...
Vaal blatantly telegraphs what skill he is going to do. Learn which arm is which and you shouldn't get hit as ranged. Theres plenty of time to kite/shoot between lightning shots as well. If he shoots ice, don't stand in it as it makes shooting/kiting slower. If you do get shocked... run around until it wears off as it increases the damage.

Max your lightning resist.
One nifty trick that has worked for me is to bind your primary bow skill to a keyboard button instead of your mouse buttons. It seems to make it easier to shoot while kiting. This is probably because my right (mouse) hand tends to get super tense from all the kiting, and my clicking finger doesn't react as quickly or accurately as a result.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
Many problems where people get 1-shot and have no clue as why could be solved by actually giving a clue to the player, in what type of damage that player is taking.

Some sort of damage symbol appearing in a corner to indicate what type was the last damage you took would GREATLY help players. You would know what resistance you're lacking.

About the Vaal Oversoul, who would know that 50% of that smash attack is fire damage if you didn't have these forums? Why would anyone think that the laser is 100% lightning damage ? Because it's blue ? It's a god damn laser, energy is thermal, so if anything it should be fire damage.

Other examples include the ghost pirates in shipwreck area, who have a portion of lightning damage in their melee attacks, and I'm sure there are a few more like this "not so obvious" elemental damage sources...

So yeah, veterans know these things, but new players have no clue, resulting in posts like the OP's.
"
Thalandor wrote:

About the Vaal Oversoul, who would know that 50% of that smash attack is fire damage if you didn't have these forums? Why would anyone think that the laser is 100% lightning damage ? Because it's blue ? It's a god damn laser, energy is thermal, so if anything it should be fire damage.

really, the average player isnt gonna look at that blue beam and think thermal, blue is ALWAYS lightning in every game. and the smash attack is clearly red for fire..i dont think the idea for damage symbols is bad...but i really dont think its required either...i would prefer people have to think about this or at least come and track down an answer, this is what makes the game good, when you dont have it all handed to you easily.
My main is a bow ranger on Merciless (Legacy) about to make the long climb. The Vaal "Mad Hoover" Oversoul is an appropriately though guy :-D. So basically, it's preparation and a tactical fight. You really need max lightning and fire resistances. Have a curse ready (temporal chains, projectile weakness, ...). Always keep moving and in addition to your bow use remote stuff like fire traps. If you can't get close enough to the Oversoul otherwise to place the traps, have a granite flask ready. It does take a while but you can nibble him down that way. :-)
Last edited by Alysma on Nov 24, 2012, 7:51:04 AM
"
Thalandor wrote:
Other examples include the ghost pirates in shipwreck area, who have a portion of lightning damage in their melee attacks, and I'm sure there are a few more like this "not so obvious" elemental damage sources...

So yeah, veterans know these things, but new players have no clue, resulting in posts like the OP's.

I actually did not know that about the pirates, though ofc having fought them many times on all difficulties I know how nasty they can be.

But yes one thing I realized when I first started doing Vaal, was knowing what type of damage the boss was doing, and knowing how much resists I should have for each type, also depending on the difficulty.

As you play more you start to get a better idea of roughly what is a good amount of life, and resists, but at times you can still be surprised at how much damage one of these things can do, and yet other times you can also be surprised how little damage Vaal can do haha.

But the fight really is all about the resists I feel, it really does not seem much of an issue if you can manage to get capped, though ofc it can take quite a bit of effort to get these caps at later difficulties. you will definitely need to invest more time into planning your passive tree to accommodate resistances as well as keep additional resistances pieces in your inventory for certain areas/bosses.
"
Desbris wrote:

But the fight really is all about the resists I feel, it really does not seem much of an issue if you can manage to get capped, though ofc it can take quite a bit of effort to get these caps at later difficulties. you will definitely need to invest more time into planning your passive tree to accommodate resistances as well as keep additional resistances pieces in your inventory for certain areas/bosses.

you dont need to walk around with capped resists at all times, just keep any good resist rings you can find or make and by the time you get to these bosses youl be fine when you equip them, all you need for most normal areas is enough to not be in the negative, and maybe a bit more...basicly 2-5 nodes depending on class/gear. that is not much to ask
The only thing I think required for this fight is max lighting resist. The hammer blow is easy enough to dodge.

I had no problem killing him on merciless as a 2H sword duelist 4 levels under his and having 2.3k health.

Like others have said learn which arm does which attacks and its really a breeze once you get that down.

Also dont rush this fight, one thing I find is I really have to take my time and work through this fight.

Can take upwards of ten minutes depending on how he wants to fight.

For instance, if he does the rocks a lot it makes it super easy as melee. The rocks dont fall next to him so you stand and attack.

On the other hand if he's constantly summoning minions and firing lasers it can be a lot harder.
S L O W E R
all classes need to move alot vs Vaal

sounds lie you are Too far away .. you need to see what arm his is using !!!
Learn to watch his 3 arms each looks differant and each does a differant thing when the arms stops and it faces you
good luck ... we want this game to be hard and a challange
...winers go play D3 TL2
Bonan..2hander,Miss Bitch..whitch, ThongBow..ranger

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info