Chris: ALT-F4 LEGIT STRAT

Chris, are you saying that if we're not using alt-f4 we're playing a version of PoE that is, in your opinion, too difficult? That this is a feature we're expected to use?

IGN: SplitEpimorphism
"
syrioforel wrote:
Chris, are you saying that if we're not using alt-f4 we're playing a version of PoE that is, in your opinion, too difficult? That this is a feature we're expected to use?

What I am hearing is that alt+f4 is a tool at the players disposal and encounters are designed with it in mind. Therefore if you do not use it, you are gimping yourself and asking to get owned.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
"
syrioforel wrote:

No, this is not what he is saying, at all.

And no, we don't specifically plan for quitting out as part of a boss fight. We however are aware it can happen, and some players use this option (including some, but only some, of our developers).

I played hardcore d2 for many years. I pressed alt-F4 once every few days on average. I cannot imagine an Action RPG design where it's blocked. We discussed this heavily when designing PoE. I'd love to find a solution (because I agree it's bad in principle), but being able to "Nope" out of situations drastically changes a lot about the game.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Also, I should add that the adrenaline rush of alt+f4ing out of the game at hardly any life and surviving feels like an artificial high to me. It isn't the true adrenaline you'd get from a well designed boss encounter. It is a fraud.

I would say that it's a matter of opinion and you should avoid stating such as if it is fact. If you feel it is an artificial high and a fraud, all the power to you. That does not mean others feel the same way. Personally I've never liked the so-called "well designed" boss encounters many MMORPGs boast about and much prefer this system. I've done it in D2 for years and came into this game expecting to be able to do the same here, and PoE did not disappoint.

EDIT : Wow Chris ninja'd me with a D2 reference too!
Last edited by Hrishi on Oct 10, 2013, 12:22:05 AM
"
Chris wrote:
I played hardcore d2 for many years. I pressed alt-F4 once every few days on average. I cannot imagine an Action RPG design where it's blocked. We discussed this heavily when designing PoE. I'd love to find a solution (because I agree it's bad in principle), but being able to "Nope" out of situations drastically changes a lot about the game.

I guess I don't like the idea of cheesing bosses by repeatably leaving and coming back at full life, refilling flasks, etc. I am very much about man mode, you either win without leaving, or you don't win at all.
Hence why I've been waiting patiently for a league that doesn't ever refill flasks or life when going to town.
Also, at Hrishi: I am not stating anything I've said as fact. These are all my opinions only. If it comes out of my mouth on a thread about balance in some fashion, it is likely an opinion.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Oct 10, 2013, 12:24:24 AM
It's amazing how you guys make such efforts to twist the words of the devs.

Oh, internet.
"
Hence why I've been waiting patiently for a league that doesn't ever refill flasks or life when going to town.

A permanent famine* league would be pretty sweet, I must admit.

Edit: changed from famish to famine
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Last edited by RulerofAsgard on Oct 10, 2013, 12:31:36 AM
Alt-f4 is valid for many reasons, but most importantly is technical difficulties of some sort. Desync for instance. Losing a character like that, not your fault at all, is terrible and logging out or exiting the game helps in cases like that. When the game is perfect - then I'd say lets go back to the drawing board and rethink this.
Meanwhile - i see nothing wrong with people using it. If you don't like it: don't use it. It's as simple as that.

It's silly to assume they design around this, but it would be stupid of them to completely ignore this practice, so it gives them more information and ideas on how to design bosses and other mobs, which is always a good thing.

TLDR: quit yer whining
IGN: MyOtherRangerDied // DontBeStupidAndDieAgain // GenericSporkerWitch
https://google.com
"
I guess I don't like the idea of cheesing bosses by repeatably leaving and coming back at full life, refilling flasks, etc. I am very much about man mode, you either win without leaving, or you don't win at all.
Also, at Hrishi: I am not stating anything I've said as fact. These are all my opinions only. If it comes out of my mouth on a thread about balance in some fashion, it is likely an opinion.

Fair enough. We do have the tech for that (we have run Famine leagues with essentially that ruleset).

In general we do allow players some options to choose their difficulty by how they play.

You can over level.

You can use twink items.

You can zerg down bosses.

You can IRONMAN.

We also know that players like the authenticity of players following the same rules they do. So we may do leagues with some of these enforced. If I thought enough people would be keen for 1 week (four months?) of Famine, I'd be keen.

If it helps you feel better, the people at the very top of the Hardcore and Onslaught ladders don't generally use Alt-F4 at all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info