Chris: ALT-F4 LEGIT STRAT

"
Mikekowa wrote:

I dunno did you?

Cute. Glad we had this enlightening conversation.

Off to see Wolverine.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford
Alt-F4 isn't a feature of PoE, it's a feature of windows. I don't see why at all anything in-game should be designed around it. It breaks the gameplay (a bit like if a character in a serious dramatic movie is entirely aware of and abuses the 4th wall to their benefit).

As mentioned prior there are much better ways of dealing with this than simply accepting it. Panic-buttons can become a fun part of ingame mechanics and come with tradeoffs. DotA 2 does this well and even has an entire type of hero designed around it, commonly referred to as "escape" heroes (A few of my favourites are Puck's phase shift -> orb jump, Anti-mage's blink and the Force Staff item. Fun!). Granted DotA 2 is a team game but there's no reason why a similar principle can't be lifted into PoE.

No matter how it's worded designing any fight around using a mechanic that isn't part of the game (and alt-f4 is by definition not, it is part of another program entirely) is going to penalise those who opt to use the tools given to them in the game itself. There's a more constructive way to approach things than just giving up.

A basic idea is a series of skill gems and supports that give escape mechanisms to players, a variety of strategic panic buttons. Perhaps a "beacon" skill gem that marks a part of the map for a certain duration and when the skill's triggered (like a remote mine), the player is instantly jumped back to that point. Maybe it would reserve a small amount of mana. Or an "Etherealise" gem that renders the player untouchable for a few seconds but has an enormous cooldown period. Maybe a "Contingency" gem that triggers immediately once you hit a certain percentage of life and jump you back to a pre-defined point but reserves an amount of mana. Lots of possibilities.
Last edited by OverUsedChewToy on Oct 10, 2013, 10:24:34 PM
Other games which want there to be a 'HARDCORE' experience, implement a delay, or feature which disallows the quick exit of a game if afraid of death.
that's the way it should be.
not 'HARDCORE unless you alt-f4 cause you fucking suck at the game'
GORLAK SMASH WORDS!!
--------------------
The Greatest Plate Vest Of All Time! http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/293910
So store. so item. http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/136100
Guess I'm not the only one then, good to see. Thought I was nuckin futs.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
Wow. When did this molehill become a mountain?
Tin foil hats are a lie propagated by the aluminium industry.
"
enshin wrote:
Other games which want there to be a 'HARDCORE' experience, implement a delay, or feature which disallows the quick exit of a game if afraid of death.
that's the way it should be.
not 'HARDCORE unless you alt-f4 cause you fucking suck at the game'
It's not that simple. As I discussed in detail above, sudden disconnects aren't just death-dodgers.

Yes, at one extreme of the scale you have true "altf4core" players who essentially play as recklessly as they would in Standard and rely on dodging to keep their character alive.

But on the other extreme end you have the victims of power outages, internet outages, or their wife getting sick of blowing her off and throwing the router across the room (this actually happened to me).

Somewhere in the middle we have desync dodgers, who play cautiously and almost never dodge, but when they get in a tricky situation because they suddenly "teleported" into a room, they escape out.

Not to mention players who are in absolutely no danger at all, but just happen to use Alt+F4 to close the game, and not always in town.

The biggest mistake you can make with this situation is pretend that your policy would effect only a single group. There are some serious collateral damage considerations here. Like a lot of collateral damage issues, it's a matter of weighing the benefit of punishing the guilty against the cost of punishing the innocent. To be fair, I guess there are a lot of possible opinions within that continuum, but opinions that make things sound so simple are probably not taking the subject seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thing I think we can all agree on: logout should not be instantaneous, as it currently is. Menu logout should have a delay which makes it no better of a death-dodging mechanism than using Alt+F4. Some of us would want longer, some of us wouldn't (including me), but I don't think we're going to find even one person claiming that logout should be a faster escape than closing out the game. I hope that, at the very least, we can show GGG a clear consensus on this one point.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 10, 2013, 11:58:40 PM
It's there because it was in D2, the game this one will forever be modeled after for better or worse, and they design their bosses in exactly the same way. End of discussion. If GGG was capable of getting out from under that shadow, they would have already done so.

Ancient and unwise, SSF only since 2012
Last edited by Caiada on Oct 11, 2013, 12:09:21 AM
"
Alt-F4 isn't a feature of PoE, it's a feature of windows. I don't see why at all anything in-game should be designed around it. It breaks the gameplay (a bit like if a character in a serious dramatic movie is entirely aware of and abuses the 4th wall to their benefit).

As mentioned prior there are much better ways of dealing with this than simply accepting it. Panic-buttons can become a fun part of ingame mechanics and come with tradeoffs. DotA 2 does this well and even has an entire type of hero designed around it, commonly referred to as "escape" heroes (A few of my favourites are Puck's phase shift -> orb jump, Anti-mage's blink and the Force Staff item. Fun!). Granted DotA 2 is a team game but there's no reason why a similar principle can't be lifted into PoE.

No matter how it's worded designing any fight around using a mechanic that isn't part of the game (and alt-f4 is by definition not, it is part of another program entirely) is going to penalise those who opt to use the tools given to them in the game itself. There's a more constructive way to approach things than just giving up.

A basic idea is a series of skill gems and supports that give escape mechanisms to players, a variety of strategic panic buttons. Perhaps a "beacon" skill gem that marks a part of the map for a certain duration and when the skill's triggered (like a remote mine), the player is instantly jumped back to that point. Maybe it would reserve a small amount of mana. Or an "Etherealise" gem that renders the player untouchable for a few seconds but has an enormous cooldown period. Maybe a "Contingency" gem that triggers immediately once you hit a certain percentage of life and jump you back to a pre-defined point but reserves an amount of mana. Lots of possibilities.

+1 to you
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
Amarena wrote:
In a way it's ironical

You implemented an inovative sync code to refrain cheating and hacking and yet you let anyone cheat at the game by waking up from a nightmare when you are about to die?

And I didn't get a macro rolling alt+f4 and /oos untill now... what a idiot I am!

Esc+Exit is much faster.

Further, it's not ironic. Since it's not cheating.

Why do people keep saying this? Chris has posted more than once that they are the exact same. There is no delay.
Last edited by kasub on Oct 11, 2013, 12:08:07 AM
"
kasub wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
Amarena wrote:
In a way it's ironical

You implemented an inovative sync code to refrain cheating and hacking and yet you let anyone cheat at the game by waking up from a nightmare when you are about to die?

And I didn't get a macro rolling alt+f4 and /oos untill now... what a idiot I am!

Esc+Exit is much faster.

Further, it's not ironic. Since it's not cheating.

Why do people keep saying this? Chris has posted more than once that they are the exact same. There is no delay.

That used to be the case but it was changed in a patch a few months ago. Alt+F4 now incurs a small delay before the character leaves the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info