[3.0] How to Flicker. Two Handed Weapon Edition!

Tried out. It's simple but amazingly well built toon, tho a bit boring: boom-boom-boom-loot :) As i've suspected, i'm too stupid missing int for levelling my Hatred, but guess what - seems i don't really need Hatred at all and probably should turn on the Grace, if any.
One weak spot i found here - FS might teleport you to the very centre of pack of nasties. Panic button could be Whirling blades or Leap, i assume.
Thanks, Korgoth, working just fine so far.
UPD: Got Herald of Ash, lvl 1 req is 25 int while i have 15. I'm gonna take +30 int node, where's fun when you can't set mobs on fire.
UPD2: Got both Heralds, the Ash one is a true bomd due to burning overkill dmg. Did Vagan challenge with dummies, won 17:4, lmfao.
Last edited by Kedisi on Aug 29, 2014, 1:40:44 PM
Herald of Ash is indeed a nice buff. Don't underestimate Hatred it's a HUGE damage boost. Herald of Ice is not really a buff for this build - it gives a set amount of damage which has no scaling with the physical damage nature of the build .. also it's pretty much impossible to shatter enemies with this build( which is a great strength of this buff)
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
I am not very experienced, so I will ask, what are the pros and cons of each weapon type (staves, maces, axes, swords)? and let's say I dont want tot ake resoltue technique and go blades, taking a single accuracy cluster won't make it right?
Last edited by Sammun on Aug 30, 2014, 6:49:00 PM
A single accuracy cluster usually won't be enough. The other problem of not taking RT is the crits ... you can't really crit often but if you do and you stumble upon a damage reflect mob you might kill yourself.
Well Maces and Axes have very good damage compared to swords, and staves have block chance which is awesome. They'll all do fine tho .
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
"
KorgothBG wrote:
Updated guide - no. Otherwise check pewpewpew's guide. Although i always failed to understand the reason to dual wield flicker strike since it is a 1h attack and it alternate weapons with each attack.

DW has small damage buff, attackspeed, and block for DW. But all around its going to be changes in defense.
A DW build will likely be ranger or duelist. And be picking up all the DW damage, crit, and block nodes. as well as very likely acrobatics, ondars.

I have a nice DW flicker build at the moment. kindof intend to sit down and compare 2h, vs 1h/shield, and DW build potentials.
Last edited by Casia on Sep 2, 2014, 10:54:31 AM
Well that's the problem for me - the DPS buffs are too small to compare to a 2h weapon, and the block chance/defensiveness is again too small to compare with a 1h + shield.
And when it comes to crit - there are some cool crit related DW passives but if you go for crit you are going to use a dagger, and with a good dagger and all the dagger crit + general crit passives you just don't need the DW crit nodes ( not to mention that they are too far away ).

I guess you could say that DW is a combination of 2h + 1h/shield + dagger crit. But again - in my opinion going for any of those 3 options is simply better.
Last edited by KorgothBG on Sep 2, 2014, 11:07:32 AM
yeah. this is the max build I have planed atm.
Swords largely, because I dont meet the int needs for daggers without investing in int on gear, and simply have found swords that fit my needs, and have not found daggers.
Some stuff might get swapped around. at level 68 atm, so clearly don't have all 120 invested.
I've already swapped things around quite a bit. I had duelist start nodes, and golems blood at one point. for more hp. if I decide current hp levels are too low, I can grab either of those, or some of the ones around constitution.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-fXVwcv66A4cbrZVmBLFMYKOKI_ZNko19MHx_K1FH1op3142_VvoFtd3n_MXUIxv2Z6AwcYO9h3Zbr92oSn0Y204qS3jBixX2tkE6QtunYnk0kwlYY3BcsO_j0_wknWJaWhoshb6nhNluad0NOrPC7LTFbIxirKc09vxHBtvnz-nQ0JP8644uCAAGwJwCEZdwo-dE0gMn1FJ0oFh1BiBKyD8nKk0VICzp2L01krXybqodyijb3-8XPhSOwHZW6J-C4JV9W6xHBqIX3DrtbbQ174FBgTptSojtG6phUu9OQKAhYHTx

DW specific:
37% chance block increase.
50% block recovery.
+242% phys damage.
+25% attack speed
125% crit chance.

this doesn't include damage/crit/block that is 1 handed, or dw/shield.

and for reference, DW innate is 10% MORE attack speed, 20% MORE attack physical, and 15% block.

Gear is not great. But some reference.

Run ash/ice/hatred.
(ice is not great, but there is basically no reason NOT to run it.)
6 frenzy's up:

1111 damage/hit, 91% chance to hit, 9attacks/s.
11.3% crit rate atm. 221% multi(most of the crit nodes have not been taken yet.)

35% evade, 40% dodge, 30% spell dodge. 52% block
Last edited by Casia on Sep 2, 2014, 12:00:49 PM
Well you see when it comes to crit if you can't reach at least 40% crit chance and at least 300-350% crit multiplier you are just better off without it. You crit so rarely that it doesn't really make a difference.. and you miss hits from time to time so actually you gain nothing from such a low crit chance/multiplier. And the main reason for that is that your swords have 5% base crit chance which is absolutely terrible. I can't comment on your DPS because you are low level and without good weapons.

"
KorgothBG wrote:
Well you see when it comes to crit if you can't reach at least 40% crit chance and at least 300-350% crit multiplier you are just better off without it. You crit so rarely that it doesn't really make a difference.. and you miss hits from time to time so actually you gain nothing from such a low crit chance/multiplier. And the main reason for that is that your swords have 5% base crit chance which is absolutely terrible. I can't comment on your DPS because you are low level and without good weapons.

Not sure your mathematical logic on that.

A base 5% crit with 150% crit modifier is 2.5% dps increase over base, assuming 100% hit rate.

It is of course, largely a question of investment.
Twin terrors. 3 points, 125% crit chance increase.
11.25% crit chance. up to 11.3(this is the crit I have invested atm)
Lets just say I'm using two foils. and no other crit multi.
150 crit multi* 1.4= 210% crit multi.

1110 damage/hit, 9 attacks/s. 9990 dps.
5% crit chance/150% multi=10239.8 (rounded up)
11.25% chance, 210multi=11,226 rounded down.
986.4dps increase.

3 points in lets say gallantry. .4 AS 34% phys damage. I am admittedly going to cheat and skip the AS.
35% physical

50-159 weapon.
130 ave
125% base flicker.
162 ave

23.4% str
+221% passives.
+48% phsy flicker
48% melee ms
48% phys melee splash.
=388.4
790.6 ave

36% less ms
16% LESS melee splash
10% more DW
48% more melee damage
=6
838 average

15% ash as fire, 34% hatred as cold.
1248.62 hit. (note I am using two 50-159 swords for this example, which is higher the my actual offhand, hence the 1248.6 hit here, vs 1110 above.
11237 dps at 9a/s.
11517.9 with 5% crit, at 150% multi.

Adding 35% phsy:
423.4 instead of 388.4=847.9,*1.06 more= 898.7 ave.
1339 av hit
12051 dps at 9a/s.
12352 dps with crit.

834 dps increase.

those 3 points of crit was a bigger dps increase, even with lesser average damage weapons calculated.
Of course crit will be valuable even in small amounts, since its applying on top of any physical damage values. another 35% phsy damage being added into the OTHER 400%(8.7% of 400) is obviously going to be less overall, then doubling your crit rate.

Your arguement would only make sense if I was relying on crit to proc effects. Which I am not. its raw dps.
All i want to say is that relying on an unreliable damage source( low crit chance) is not wise. Furthermore you should consider that if your first hit doesn't crit with Multistrike the next 2 hits automatically fail to crit too of course if it crits you get 3 crits. But that damage is inconsistent and thats something you can't afford with flicker strike in end-game. Not being able to kill fast enough results in loosing frenzy charges, that leads to loosing more damage, and that leads to loosing more frenzy charges and in the end you end up in the middle of a monster pack with flicker strike on cooldown and that can and it is deadly. You need a reliable damage source and that's why you need higher crit chance. You might say that the crit damage is just a "bonus" but the truth is that with 2 one-handed weapons you simply won't have enough damage per hit to kill fast enough to get charges. And by fast ennough i don't mean kills per second, i mean kill per casts, because you always need to keep your charges up and in order to do that you need high damage per hit ( not high damage per second ).

You said:
"A base 5% crit with 150% crit modifier is 2.5% dps increase over base, assuming 100% hit rate."
Well that's the problem .. you assume that you have 100% when in reality you don't.
Here's an example
Let's say that you have 10% crit chance with 150% crit multiplier and 90% chance to hit. Well that means that every 10th attack will deal 150% damage but that also means that you will miss every 9th attack due to your chance to hit. It even's out. To make crit worth it you need to invest in it.
A 5% crit base with 100% crit chance increase = 10% chance to crit, but a 10% crit base with the same amount of crit chance increase = 20% chance to crit. And that's why daggers are the way to go, you get twice as much for the same amount of passives,gear,support gems invested. ANd i'm not even bringing the fact that you have tons of insane and easy to get crit chance/multiplier passives exclusive to daggers.

And of course you know that your crit chance and crit multiplier is calculated in your damage per hit right? So if you do 1000 damage per hit with flicker strike if you crit with 150% crit multiplier you are dealing 1500 damage, because your crit chance and multiplier are already calculated into your initial 1000 damage per hit.
Last edited by KorgothBG on Sep 2, 2014, 1:52:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info