To all legit players

"
StillSingle wrote:
hopefully I've fleshed it out enough to remove any concerns?? feedback and refinement, what greatness is made from :)
I think your suggestion is basically what they are already doing, just with the addition of dynamic scaling. I agree that dynamic scaling is probably the best solution.

@globbi
The two issues I mentioned are solved with dynamic scaling. I was basically pointing out both of those things to show why dynamic scaling is the way to go.
"
duolc wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
XP is only one side of the story

The +50% quantity per person in instance is the other.

Please just for the sake of a directed debate, can we leave the MF out of this thread.

Quantity is very much part of the problem as it is another added benefit. Sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away and also distorts the data for map drops adjustment.

Fight censorship
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/
"
Mr_Bill wrote:
Quantity is very much part of the problem as it is another added benefit. Sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away and also distorts the data for map drops adjustment.
Map drops do not (edited "not" in, sorry, it was spelling mistake) increase with number of players. Map drops are always about you being able to find enough maps to continue doing them or not. It has nothing to do with boosting.

(Zakaluka's comment is still relevant)
Last edited by globbi on Oct 2, 2012, 12:09:56 PM
"
globbi wrote:
Map drops do increase with number of players. Map drops are always about you being able to find enough maps to continue doing them or not. It has nothing to do with boosting.

This is not actually the case.

In the dev diary, look for the "map drops" section. In the last paragraph it explains that bonus quant from being in a party doesn't apply to map drops, while inside a map.

Now, in the current state of the game, the player's personal quant doesn't play in either - the ONLY thing that currently affects map drop chance is bonus quant on the instance. IE: roll difficult maps, or maps with extra monsters. Those are your only choices for "chaining" maps. This last patch should hopefully be the last tuning needed, since I personally have had zero problems soloing for some time now.

So, the only thing the quant issue affects: item drops and currency. Is that enough to make boosting still unfair if the XP bonus is taken away? As we've brought up before it depends a lot on context: if you're in default or HC league, quant is the bigger issue. If you're in a race league, XP is the only issue.

Please, when mods say "stay on this topic" - please do so. This thread is about racing.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 2, 2012, 8:56:02 AM
I thought better of this post, it doesn't really seem constructive. Deleted.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 2, 2012, 11:55:10 AM
I park my 56 Ranger at the entrance of maps when I run my 72 Witch.

The extra 50% item quantity is great. Not having to compete for drops is nice. The extra 30% xp is just gravy.

I consider my self a legit player. It's a valid mechanic.
What if /player x was implemented BUT it carried a slightly higher monster scaling. Not sure what it is now, but if it was 50%, make it 60%

This way those who wish to play in parties legitimately are not punished, and those who wish to play solo with the increased bonuses from harder monsters will have the choice of either the pain in the ass of juggling alts or using player x

Would this work.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Oct 2, 2012, 1:35:53 PM
For me, the biggest reason for having this "/player X" feature, especially in beta, would be in finding and correcting imbalances. As it is, some people get to benefit from it, others don't. I've finished exactly one race and I will absolutely not play in another again because of the abuse associated with this (and other cheap tactics).

I don't mean to take a stab at those players who finished high in the races (wait, actually I do), but if you're relying on these mechanics to get there, shame, even worse if you try to show it off as some kind of accomplishment.
under /players X, difficulty scaling, as well as drop/xp scaling, has to be exactly the same as playing with a group.

Why? Otherwise we're right back to step 1. Botting yields a better result than playing in a group or solo.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
But were not talking about botting, at least not in script form.

Were talking about players who use alts to boost, whether it be xp or quantity, in races in order to gain the benefits for their main.

Like I said, I decided to give this a try, although it wasn't in a race, and with just one alt loaded in instance the benefits are substantial. Substantial enough that I WILL make 5 alt accounts in OB for racing purposes. I will do this, many others will to. (ill it for non-race play but that's not what were discussing). The benefits to the player are HUGE while their are 0 negatives. The only negative from having these accounts in races is the time spent walking each one thru portals, instances, etc. Like I said, its time consuming, and in races every bit of time counts

This is why is suggested scaling SLIGHTLY above the norm for a player x command. This way, I may have harder monsters to kill than if I were loading alts,BUT I will not be wasting precious time clicking on upwards of 6 different windows moving them about when necessary.

Using Auto-bots is one thing, a player manually handling 6 different characters can be a pain. This is why I made the suggestion to increase the difficulty above normal loading enough, so there is a penalty to the player and he still gains the rewards, but is not so large I may as well lvl and handle low level alts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info