I want to make a detonate dead build

I really like the skill detonate dead and I'm looking to make a build that's viable with it.

I was thinking about using the witch as a starting character.

Not sure if it's worth it but I want to at least theory craft it. The % based damage really intrigues me.

Obviously going to need a spell to kill with first, was thinking fireball. Totem Firestorm is also cool.

Is it possible to make this skill basically 1 shot things of the same type.

Anyone have any ideas, or actually done this?
Leaves are falling all around, It's time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay.
But now it's time for me to go.
The autumn moon lights my way.
For now I smell the rain, and with it pain, and it's headed my way.
Last edited by Chrono89 on Sep 24, 2012, 1:24:13 PM
I would either make a crit build around it or have tons of +fire damage and/or burning. It's a spell that doesn't benefit from spell damage so don't pick any of those nodes. To benefit from all those fire nodes you pick up you could also use molten shell to mop up melee attackers then lure the ranged mobs in to the corpse pile and use DD. Stick an Elemental proliferation on DD and other supports

Also keep DD at level 1 because all you get from leveling it up is a tiny bit of phys damage, increased mana and requirements. You could link it to all the added damage supports and it would only come out to like 30 mana per cast. I ain't so good with math btw.
Get all the fire and elemental passives and get fire damage % from gear. With about 180% increase fire damage, plus 20% increase aoe damage from aoe passives (Cus you want to enlarge DD's aoe), plus the -30+% resistance from elemental weakness, plus a mid level concentrated effect support gem (52+% MORE aoe damage), you end up with over 90% of corpse's life in fire damage. Add in a culling strike support and you 1 shot every monster of equal or lesser hp (not considering fire resist).

Theoretical setup: DD+Concentrated Effect+Culling Strike+Increased Aoe
Cast Elemental Weakness on mob, kill 1, use DD and watch as the mob dies.

.18*(1+1.8+.2+.3)*1.52=.902 => 90.2% of corpse's life in fire damage. Culling strike activates and kills all monsters with less than 10% hp from explosion.

With wands/witch equips you should be able to get a lot of increase fire damage. The more you can get from equips the less you need from passives. Concentrated Effect is what makes this possible. Neglect to use it and ur DD will be capped around 60% of corpse's life. Culling strikes makes sure you only need 1 explosion instead of 2 to kill similar monsters.

I wouldn't rely on crit'ing with DD. It's too much of a gamble. I'd rather just do 90+% of corpse hp 100% of the time.

Side note: same concept with inferno blow, except you work with 20% of corpse life instead of 18%.
As per above:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUB_oviruVj0FQw2jlw4CIiH70pmYAmAkTj81_tVl1VsubZm6gS80d3GAh6wpyxKGCjk4cffqtlVdK49X_tmS1htyTt4KgguRWnZRFytQsK0lk63KoVMr1m1oZziw-DhhvawHD0lhqR8tp_qsgeFgm_0tF7-OhKtkyLy0EdEQ-Ogp1PaS1FViUX_737qXFZfOmhYke48viTG5xn6TLUFl5YafUtu7x8hsoZZaSHCRfvGN7_P3ojqduWahi6bYQ268VUsdvT9hHES7wTayO-F-EUD-bWqte8gbjmYhIaFsMHMud50r5p_yilDpKArdhXYMW9XNnfFFXIbMD8c7rCpy5ZzgCKVEs20hzqxiETAs3aqMZEDfVEgqopxGIW8uOnmHqRU_ror8C_y8hmEqjukGlTJTLqueyWHGVq

Tie in with minion instability with +minion health and wraiths which also does fire dmg, and dual totems so you can have a corpse detonating one and a skeleton summoning one

By going +life instead of +ES/shadow side, you have a lot more skill point left for minions

Other supporting skills you can use are
fire trap
fire storm
fireball

This looks so fun now I wana make one :p

*Edit*

Oops.. failed... instability not effected by fire dmg increases :|

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
pepperbrooks wrote:
Does the passive "Minion Instability" receive increases in damage from other passives like "Immolation," "Fire Walker," and "Elementalist," or is the fire damage set at the maximum life of the minion?
The passives you're mentioning increase the fire damage you deal. They do not affect the damage dealt by your minions. When your minions explode, they deal damage to surrounding enemies.

Currently, due to an engine limitation we're going to hopefully get around in future, this damage is not really dealt in the damage system, so is not actually affected by the minion's stats - this will change.

However, stats which increase fire damage you deal will not start affecting damage dealt by your minions.
Last edited by wooli on Sep 25, 2012, 10:00:29 AM
"
wooli wrote:

This looks so fun now I wana make one :p

Same ^^

You can make a physical char with detonate dead, using infernal blow - like a Templar.

Infernal blow + maximized fire damage + maximized burning damage - that is some nice burning.

Also Detonate Dead with increased area of effect, chance to ignite and totem.

Everything would just blow up and burn.
Hey guys, awesome suggestions!

Level 21

That`s where I`m at right now

Final

And this is what I was thinking for a final endgame build.. believe this is a level 60 build. You get 14 points from the quests right?

Should I remove all the burn damage nodes or should I keep them? Burn damage only occurs on crit right?

Area damage should help this too right? What about those fire passives at the bottom? It's all good stuff right? :D

Totally Complete

Level 69 totally complete version.

Let me know what you guys think, where I can optimize this, cut a few points, etc..

Side thought, should I take blood magic and cut the mana regen? That might not work very good though i suspect.
Last edited by Chrono89 on Sep 25, 2012, 12:45:09 PM
anyone?
It's actually working pretty good. It's a really weird play style and I think it would suit a blood mage or archer best. I got flame totem and that seems to help alot along with elemental weakness.

There's alot of kiting involved.

Basically 1 bear can clear and entire group of mobs, It's pretty awesome.

I feel like there could be awesome synergy between detonate dead and righteous fire.

Right now I'm level 35.

I do need some input though as I'm sitting on 7 skill points. Are my builds good? How can I optimize them.

Please help!
Last edited by Chrono89 on Sep 26, 2012, 5:44:00 PM
Just looking at the life, you've got 68% increased max life by 75 points on the tree - that's not going to be enough to run maps with, especially without armor or resists of some sort. This is an issue I've brought up (life builds being ridiculously hard to manage in comparison to ES builds). If you have no problems playing it as an ES character, I suggest that's what you do - it'll eat up fewer passives for ya.

My other suggestion would be to run it as a Templar - you've already gone through the Templar's starting zone, and as a Witch, you had to pick up some unnecessary passives (minion stuff, 20 (or even 60)% extra mana regen).

Criticals are pretty strong right now, especially if you can run Power Charges and/or Diamond Flasks. Spell Critical nodes do affect it, but Spell Damage nodes do not (at least, I think this is the way it works - the "explosion" skills tend to get confusing).

Running all the way down to the bottom of the marauder zone for those fire passives probably isn't worth the investment.

If it were me (and I played ES builds...which I don't, currently), I might try something along these lines:

DD Templar

I threw it together pretty quickly, so there may be some things that could be changed (perhaps critical nodes could be fiddled with to be more efficient), but you get the general idea. I am not sure what kind of attribute requirements you're looking for, but the general to aim for is 124 in each attribute if you want max level skill gems of all colors (this is currently very difficult to reach). In any case, it's an 84 point build which would mean level 69 (I generally go 85 points for an even 70). Take a look, see what you think. These are just my suggestions; I cannot say for sure if it would work better for you or not - only you can decide that. ;)

EDIT: You asked about getting Blood Magic...this is perhaps my favorite node on the tree, but in order to make it work (well), you need life regen. That's tough to get on a build that's mostly focused on the northern half of the tree (oddly enough, most builds right now).
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 27, 2012, 3:37:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info