Leveling skill gems is boring.

I'm taking a break from this game but maybe this helped me to view things in a different way.

When you get say a skill like ground slam level up you just click it and boom...it just leveled up which i think it's boring because it no more than a notification than actually felling more powerful.

Games like Torchlight handled this in a different way by adding the tier system where it shows that when you say get your ground slam from level 4 to level 5 you will gain an added effect to your skill.
I really wish to see the devs make something similar as i believe this would not add any more complexity but will add more diversity to game.
FFA loot = Single Player Game
I'm going to have to agree with this. Just for the simple fact that PoE offers so many other avenues of complexity.

I'd love to see a more complicated skill leveling system, where you could choose from the different attributes to level each time you have the ability to level a gem.

For instance, when a gem is able to be leveled you could have the possibilities of either leveling the base damage, the mana cost/reservation, or the effect duration. This would put a whole new perspective on current builds and add another layer of complexity to the mix :)
I also agree with the author of the post. Although it may create a new possibility of even longer waiting for the open-beta, this idea would make a game "deeper" and much more interesting - giving a huge lot more variants of builds
this is a brilliant idea! it would add TONS of different content if they did this with each skill or even most. you could also have things like crit chance or multiplies! (know crit witches would love it at least...)

might even think of doing this with support skills too for even deep complexities.
So many build ideas... no time....
"
Elynole wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with this. Just for the simple fact that PoE offers so many other avenues of complexity.

I'd love to see a more complicated skill leveling system, where you could choose from the different attributes to level each time you have the ability to level a gem.

For instance, when a gem is able to be leveled you could have the possibilities of either leveling the base damage, the mana cost/reservation, or the effect duration. This would put a whole new perspective on current builds and add another layer of complexity to the mix :)

Disclaimer: I only got in to the beta yesterday.

While I agree that levelling up a skill gem isn't the most thrilling experience as it currently stands, I don't think this is necessary because we have the passive skill tree.

For example if you want to lower the mana cost of the spell, you can lower the mana cost of all spells by putting a point in to the mana node. If you want added effects like chill they are there etc. If we start adding this sort of levelling system to individual skills what is the point in the passive tree?

The skill levelling experience could be made more fun by implementing this: When you level the skill gem you can hover your mouse over the plus button to see what upgrade in damage etc you are getting by levelling. This will give the added perception you are more powerful.

I don't feel complexity should be added for complexity's sake.
IGN: Carmy
Mana node -- mana node? I heard this before, or maybe... nevermind, but it certainly reminds me of current mech used by one of top MMO's:

Adjustable level of energy, example only -- Magic Damage 10, Mana used 5 -- adjustable anytime to either higher/ lower.

Point by point, magic to magic & skill to skill.

Level restriction.
well for start, some visual change would help with the "feeling more powerful" also.
EG fireball lvl 1 is a tiny blob of fire and at lvl 20 it's a large ball of fire.

Or totems get somewhat bigger/more complex.

Summons look diff (eg skeleton at lvl 10 would gain "armor").

Would be easier to implement then rebuilding the way skills work completely. Yet provides a visual change and the feel of progress.

OFFTOPIC: armors would need better visual also, eg heavy str armor should be way more bulkier then a robe.
They should make a mini skill tree for each skill gem! Like letting players choose certain special attributes of the gems all (5?) levels. If players could choose every level then the skills might get far to imbalanced and away from their original purpose.
Hardcore Theorycrafter
I don't like the current skill gem leveling system either. I think they should totally remove levels or have a mini tree and the gems level up and you can tailor the gem to exactly what you're looking for in your build.

Maybe just be able to divert points into skill modifiers. Instead of spell damage you want more chance to ignite or burn damage.

Removing levels would create alot of issues though especially with things like clarity.
Leaves are falling all around, It's time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay.
But now it's time for me to go.
The autumn moon lights my way.
For now I smell the rain, and with it pain, and it's headed my way.
Don't have any good suggestion(s) to come with what OP has stated but the truth is levelling skill gems is not an exciting experience, but i am sure GGG could invest some time and think a creative and interesting way by improving the levelling way.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info