Discussion: Attack speed negative modifiers inherent to armour types?

No no no no.

Don't give them any ideas please Charan.

But really the most thing many people complained about and many of my friends who got into the stress test is that start of the game and how they feel that the entire game is very slow "mostly because of running speed"

In fact i think that they should REMOVE armor speed penalty to help speed up the game a little bit.

Remember this is a F2P title and with a title like this comes the risk that if a player download the game and felt that it's too slow he will not give a second thought about how awesome this game is and instead just move on to another F2P title and there are many of those laying around.

I understand that i'm talking about something out of topic at hand but hey i wanted to vent that out.

Ok and this is something related to what i said earlier.
Spoiler
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/starting-off-right

FFA loot = Single Player Game
Last edited by silentman on Sep 20, 2012, 2:38:52 AM
two more thoughts:

-an armour-based penalty on attack speed would a) even more disadvantage weapon users against casters (I see absolutely no reason of realism why it also should affect casting) b) exclude armour-based builds from very high attack speed options, and c) would "add" increased attack speed as one more mandatory stat to your equipment - just like runspeed on boots.

-but the biggest problem I see in the inteeraction with the stun/block system POE uses: its already difficult with an average attack speed, that you can that easily be interrupted by attacks of opponents - even if your attack is like finished (only the animation still runs - happening with things like ground slam, but also novas or freezing pulse - every attack that reaches you can completely "disable" your own attacking). Making attacks even slower now, would bring this problem into a new dimension...
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
To OP:
No need to nerf armour even more.
Armour is meant for tanky char but at current state in evasion armor with iron reflexes you can tank much better than armour, THIS makes me no sense.
How can an armor have twice the evasion than armour value? Iron reflexes convert 100% evasion to armour so basically you have at last twice as much armour now as if you're using basic armour gear. Then you have passives, a lots of them.
You will be happy at lvl70 if you achieve 6k armour in total that means like 38% dmg reduction. Compare it to evasion with iron reflexes, around 22k armour in the same level.
And then there is ES. Players with CI running with 6-10k ES basically means they have 6-10k HP without any movement penalty, but armour users should be happy with their 38% dmg reduction and 3k HP with movement penalty right? Heck ES users got new keystone to leech back their shield so right now armour isn't worth it compared to the other two armor types. Why do you want to nerf it even more?
"I'm programmed to say something that is kind and uplifting at this point, but there is apparently an error that is working in my favor."
Oh, you just had to bring up Iron Reflexes, didn't you?

I should ask the OP if he wants this thread closed to prevent any further sullying.

...Wait, that's me.

...Do I?

...Naw.

Still, IR. P-tooie!

PS I'm not 'making suggestions' here; I know which board to put suggestions in. The topic of this thread is not what the thread is actually about, but it's crucial nonetheless.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Alternalo wrote:
To OP:
And then there is ES. Players with CI running with 6-10k ES basically means they have 6-10k HP without any movement penalty, but armour users should be happy with their 38% dmg reduction and 3k HP with movement penalty right? Heck ES users got new keystone to leech back their shield so right now armour isn't worth it compared to the other two armor types. Why do you want to nerf it even more?

Ohh i'm sorry.
ES in fact is a cheap sort of armor when taken with CI.
With ES you will get frozen even if your cold resist is 75%
With ES you will be easily stunlocked due to your life being 1 so you may die faster.
CI users have no potions to save them when they take a puncture shot and watch as their ES is dropping while they have nothing to do unless they use phys damage with ghost reaver.
So please don't think that ES is OP.
FFA loot = Single Player Game
Last edited by silentman on Sep 20, 2012, 5:01:54 AM
"
Charan wrote:
The too long; didn't read version is the topic.

It's been a while since I've made something this general for discussion, but it was asked in GC a little while. Do armour types affect speed as in attack speed and movement, or just movement?

Of course, a quick glance at the C screen will reveal the answer. Most of us know it.

But it got me thinking. SHOULD heavier armour types incur a slight attack speed penalty? I'm not really asking from the point of view of balance, just the internal realism established by the fact that heavier armour types incur a slight movement speed penalty.

What's the difference between movement speed (running) and attack speed (swinging) as regards the weight and bulk of armour?

Sure, running in chainmail is definitely more exhausting than running in light leather or robes, but I should think that swinging a sword in chainmail would be slower and more exhausting than swinging a sword in light leather or robes. Maybe not to the same extent, but still.

Yes, this would be a nerf. Yes, this might negatively affect your favourite character.

Look past that. Does this make sense? If you were new to PoE and saw that heavier armours incur a slight attack speed penalty, would you be impressed by the attempt at realism or horrified that it might mean your intended build is now weaker/non-viable?

I would disagree with you, charan. Your need STR to wear the "Heavy Armour" and the "sub-Heavy Armours". Thus the points in STR will balance out the attack speed.
But if the game allows mounting the amours without the STR requirement, then i think there should be penatly on the attack speed and also movement.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
"
silentman wrote:
"
Alternalo wrote:
To OP:

Ohh i'm sorry.
ES in fact is a cheap sort of armor when taken with CI.
With ES you will get frozen even if your cold resist is 75%
With ES you will be easily stunlocked due to your life being 1 so you may die faster.
CI users have no potions to save them when they take a puncture shot and watch as their ES is dropping while they have nothing to do unless they use phys damage with ghost reaver.
So please don't think that ES is OP.

Stuns/crits treat CI characters as if their life is whatever it would be without CI. As that's likely a low number, that'd probably happen anyways but 1?
FFA loot = single player game.

"I'm sorry I steal all the things, it's the only way I know how to say I love you." - a FFA looter.
nvm
Last edited by WaffleS_ on Sep 20, 2012, 10:41:54 AM
If you're a bloke strong enough to wear that heavy armor you are as well capable to be efficient in it. That's what strength requirement means - please notice that your bloke is still able to lift that armor of the ground and carry it, he's simply unable to fight effectively in it unless requirement is met.

But then again them really strong blokes are never much of runners and heavy armors are designed for combat, not marathons, hence the movement penalty.

EDIT's: I just can't bloody spell.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
Last edited by JohnGrammaticus on Sep 20, 2012, 5:28:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info