[The Goddess Swords Discussion] 19th Jan, 2018: Volume has been fixed; Writing The Goddess

Now since Unleashed is the conclusion/finality of the Goddess evolution and NOT an upgrade of the Goddess Scorned alone, I have to ask: if you hit a wall with the Goddess Scorned, is it easy or hard to upgrade to a rare?

Given that you're essentially leaning on the pseudo-Avatar of Fire and we don't yet know the form the new Avatar of Fire will take, is it doable to admit that Scorned has reached the end of her functionality before 'the end' and embrace a rare that cannot, will not have the Avatar of Fire effect?
I'm like that one piece of ugly furniture too heavy to get rid of. Best you just learn how to live with it. If it comes down to you or me leaving, it's going to be you every time. I can do this all day if I want. Literally.
you know Charan, I'm really disappointed of the way you - and especially GGG - handled this whole "Goddess saga", to be honest.

you guys could have made Goddess Bound a craft-able sword as well. make me kill something crazy for a shot at dropping it, or a crafting material that becomes it after X quantity and a certain vendor recipe.

you know, a crazy boss that shoots ice from it's nostrils and 1-hit-KO spinning laser from it's ears, plus a character level restriction that forces you to fight it on level 2 wearing Hillock gear.
something that would make Brother Laz (Median XL) proud.
beat it = EARN your sword.

instead, you chose to bind it to the worst of RNG.
make it drop once in a millennium, and the craft-able Goddess Scorned depend on it.
impossible to drop. impossible to chance. need to be rich to buy in trade, and totally not worth it.

result: I've only seen any of the two swords, on the wiki page. and I'm sure I'm not alone at this.
"If everyone just blindly whiteknights out of their ass, poe will never get better" - Pewzor, nailing it.
Last edited by johnKeys on Sep 30, 2013, 2:39:54 AM
"
Completed 12 ChallengesjohnKeys wrote:
you know Charan, I'm really disappointed of the way you - and especially GGG - handled this whole "Goddess saga", to be honest.

you guys could have made Goddess Bound a craft-able sword as well. make me kill something crazy for a shot at dropping it, or a crafting material that becomes it after X quantity and a certain vendor recipe.

you know, a crazy boss that shoots ice from it's nostrils and 1-hit-KO spinning laser from it's ears, plus a character level restriction that forces you to fight it on level 2 wearing Hillock gear.

make it drop once in a millennium, and the craft-able Goddess Scorned depend on it.
impossible to drop. impossible to chance. need to be rich to buy in trade, and totally not worth it.

result: I've only seen any of the two swords, on the wiki page. and I'm sure I'm not alone at this.

Crafting weapons didn't exist until Scorned was added, a year after Bound was introduced.

If GGG were to go back and make Bound craftable, I think that would be pretty awesome and would probably get the Charan stamp of approval.

Don't let that stop your jihad against RNG, though.
Last edited by pneuma on Sep 30, 2013, 2:39:45 AM
"
pneuma wrote:

Don't let that stop your jihad against RNG, though.

Jihad is a religious war, while mine is simply a war for "gaming justice", if you will.

can you honestly tell me, a game where you "gamble" your prizes is more enjoyable, than one where you EARN them with sweat, tears, crazy challenges, and broken mice?

risk and reward man. risk and reward.

PoE currently has none of it, and Charan's swords had a chance to counter that fact a bit.
they didn't.

it's the same old "get lucky, or GTFO" story:
RNG a sword, so you can craft another sword with the sword you RNGed.
RNG a crazy-rare high orb, or an even-crazier-rare high unique, so you can trade for Bound, so you can craft Scorned.

I've read somewhere, that Chris posted somewhere, that PoE 1.0 will bring changes to the loot system.
fingers crossed, but I really don't expect much at this point to be honest.
"If everyone just blindly whiteknights out of their ass, poe will never get better" - Pewzor, nailing it.
Last edited by johnKeys on Sep 30, 2013, 2:54:17 AM
"
Charan's swords had a chance to counter that fact a bit.
they didn't.

Only if you ignore the order of events.
His second sword did counter that fact.
Now that it has been coded to be possible (because it wasn't before when Bound existed), the option presents itself.

"
I've read somewhere, that Chris posted somewhere, that PoE 1.0 will bring changes to the loot system.
fingers crossed, but I really don't expect much at this point to be honest.

Neither do I.
"
Now since Unleashed is the conclusion/finality of the Goddess evolution and NOT an upgrade of the Goddess Scorned alone, I have to ask: if you hit a wall with the Goddess Scorned, is it easy or hard to upgrade to a rare?

Given that you're essentially leaning on the pseudo-Avatar of Fire and we don't yet know the form the new Avatar of Fire will take, is it doable to admit that Scorned has reached the end of her functionality before 'the end' and embrace a rare that cannot, will not have the Avatar of Fire effect?

I made the build with the intention of never upgrading the sword. The theory was that the sword would provide enough damage to make it viable and it absolutely does. The only hurdle is figuring out how to apply that damage without getting killed yourself.

Today I killed merciless Piety solo and finished the game. It wasn't easy and there were deaths but I am satisfied with the build and if I can't make it much better thats fine.
Standard Forever
"
pneuma wrote:

His second sword did counter that fact.

no, it really didn't.

crafting a Goddess Scorned is like caching in a winning lottery ticket for 1 million dollars.
no luck involved here, right?
well, how did you obtain a winning lottery ticket in the first place?

two possible good solutions when Goddess Scorned was introduced, were to either change Bound and make it craft-able as well, or have Scorned *not* require Bound as a crafting ingredient.
meh.

this applies to many, many other things in the game as well.
for instance, even if an area has *theoretical* increased chance to reward you for your efforts, *if* you overcome it's challenges - the entrance to that area is guarded by a furious RNG, that will happily screw you over. I'm talking about the map system of course.

the current craft-able Goddess Scorned, is kind of like having Shrine Piety have increased chance to drop Exalted Orbs: a partial and very bad solution.
bad, because good luck obtaining a Shrine map, then rolling it with Exalts to increase your chance of dropping one from the boss.

RNG is everywhere. luck - or mostly the lack thereof - is everywhere.
I believe the proper term for GGG's design is "RNG clusterfuck".
a great phrase, coined in a reply to one of my earliest threads on the subject.
Last edited by johnKeys on Sep 30, 2013, 3:42:39 AM
"

can you honestly tell me, a game where you "gamble" your prizes is more enjoyable, than one where you EARN them with sweat, tears, crazy challenges, and broken mice?

risk and reward man. risk and reward.

I don't even feels like there would be something that much "sweat, tears, crazy challenges" in this game. Risk? ask some friends to help, or use the lv70+ character to do the quest. Risk gone, hardness gone. And if the sword would be craft-able, it'd be a lot less powerful that how it is now. From something very special you can use from 7-35+, it might become just.... another random nice rare where everyone can have it so easily.

They could have made it so that only if you play tons of hours through the hordes of evils, and collect the X number of certain special goddess keys, to open the door to the underworld, and unsealed the tiny of sword fragment, using as a part to assemble the sword back. But again... it's not that hard to do with the a late game character. And until that time, would you care enough about the sword?

And in another side, a lot of player would not be able to get their hands on the sword, because it's too hard for them.

Please describe what kind of challenges, to obtain something OP like the goddess bound, yet still available for mass amount of people, doable during the appropriate levels, but not too easy too much that you can have 1 per character in your account.

The way they are doing now is proper enough, for me, to let only someone with some specific builds in their mind, to try hard enough to get 1 in their hands, from the RNGesus.

"

Finding an upgrade for my current build seems to be quite difficult since I'm building toward 80% fire damage with Crit. Unless I could find a nice phys sword, with high roll fire damage and 20% increase fire damage (possible?), with high crit chance and full attack speed....

Oh wait, that'd cost me a few exalted, and I would be vulnerable to physical reflect, unlike now when I'd have to be beware of elemental reflect, which got taken care by max fire resist.

It's not that easy when the tree has already built up on a certain based, unless there would be that so called "UBER HELLISH SWORD OF INFERNAL FLAME". :P
Last edited by twintales on Sep 30, 2013, 4:13:00 AM
"

beat it = EARN your sword.

I don't get why people disagree so much with making epic items rare (colloquially referred to as RNG). PoE is from a lineage of games like the Diablo Series, Torchlight, etc. Games based around getting phat loot that was not only extremely powerful but extremely rare. That was what made finding those items so satisfying.

Also I think you're exaggerating RNG here. The amount of wealth you acquire is 90% self-determined. Someone who runs around with no IIR or IIQ that plays 1 hour a week is going to have significantly less wealth than a Low-Life Sporker with 100/400 who's been multiboxing maps for 100s of hours. This is an exaggeration of course but even considering that most players will fall somewhere in between those two poles its literally guaranteed that wealthy players are those who are using their time efficiently and invest the most time thereby marginalizing the impact of RNG.

That being said i bought the sword for like 10 chaos.
ign Exdunn
Last edited by Exdunn on Sep 30, 2013, 4:29:09 AM
"
iamstryker wrote:
"

I made the build with the intention of never upgrading the sword. The theory was that the sword would provide enough damage to make it viable and it absolutely does. The only hurdle is figuring out how to apply that damage without getting killed yourself.

Today I killed merciless Piety solo and finished the game. It wasn't easy and there were deaths but I am satisfied with the build and if I can't make it much better thats fine.

Thanks, that's pretty encouraging to hear. While I appreciate how static my items are, inevitably, there will always be more items to try with them, and potentially new nodes/keystones and skills.
I'm like that one piece of ugly furniture too heavy to get rid of. Best you just learn how to live with it. If it comes down to you or me leaving, it's going to be you every time. I can do this all day if I want. Literally.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info