[The Goddess Swords Discussion] 19th Jan, 2018: Volume has been fixed; Writing The Goddess

"
EDIT: I should have seen that coming. I really should have. The hint is in this post and I didn't put it there.
Please feel free to take a moment of your time to imagine Rory, Rhys and I smirking at this point :P
The writing is all Rhys, and he did an excellent job.

And unfortunately I had the last of those sour lollies yesterday night, and won't be able to by more until at least the weekend.
"
Completed 7 ChallengesKillurself wrote:
Trying to figure this out is definitely the most fun I have had in awhile though that's for sure.
Glad to see you're all enjoying yourselves
"
I also know they're probably watching this thread with glee.
Indeed. I'm home from work now and still following the thread :P
"
Completed 15 ChallengesGlaciez wrote:
@Mark ggg, is there anyway you can confirm if someone has the sword yet and are keeping the recipe a secret?
No. Someone could probably look it up at work tomorrow, but I don't know who'd have that capability other than Thomas, and he's away.
"
thelemite wrote:
I think this is all a red herring

I am suspecting that charon and the devs all know the recipe and is just using our frustration as a entertainment tactic to amuse themselves.
I can assure you we didn't tell him the recipe. We know it, but he doesn't.
"
thelemite wrote:
Charon said the devs changed his signature but if you look on the original post it clearly says last edited by charon on aug 20th.
Because we changed his forum signature, not his post. If you edit your signature, it won't make every post you've ever made update it's 'last edited' time.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 21, 2013, 8:11:37 PM
"
iamstryker wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that Rhys is just far too good at writing vague riddles.
Yeah, Rhys is pro at this. That's some cryptic crossword level stuff right there.
"
Completed 1 ChallengeAux wrote:

Spoiler
Chunderface

Grats!
✮ Please contact support@grindinggear.com if you need any help!
"
Completed 1 ChallengeAux wrote:

Spoiler
Chunderface

Well done!
Code warrior
"
Completed 15 Challengessidtherat wrote:
that poem/riddle most likely described all 3 charan's swors - and was NOT a clue for the recipe.
No, that's describing the recipe. We couldn't make it too easy, but the whole poem is hints about the items in the recipe, right down to the poem having four lines being a hint at requiring four items.

The only bit which isn't part of the recipe is the "an oath fulfilled makes" at the end, which of course describes the Goddess Scorned that you get from the recipe, by referencing the flavour text.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 24, 2013, 10:30:32 AM
OK, so here's how the riddle works. I assumed people would know that it required The Goddess Bound.

There are 15 descriptors in the poem, which is far too many to reasonably be 15 ingredients, so obviously multiple ones refer to the same items. There are least three, given the first phrase. Some people suggested there might be five ingredients, since the first and second lines have five, and the third and fourth lines sum to five, but this logic is flawed. You can't just add the last two lines together.

There are four ingredients, hence four lines to the poem (though not one ingredient per line; that would have been too easy).

"
Three so fine,

Three items with quality (potentially max quality).

"
one divine,

A red herring, intended to make you think of Divine Orbs, but really just referencing the Goddess Bound.

"
and one a matching bruise,

The flavourtext for the Goddess Bound mentions an "elegant bruise", and since Elegant Sword is the base type for the Goddess Scorned, obviously this refers to a "matching" Elegant Sword, where it must match in quality, sockets, and links.

"
Two that burn,

Two items that deal or cause fire damage/burning. One of these is the Goddess Bound.

"
two in hand,

Two of the items are equippable in the main/off hand slots.

"
and one that sits unused,

One item is a currency item.

"
Two that spark confusion,

A deliberate WTF/red herring. "Spark" is a synonym for "Ignite", as in Chance to Ignite, but there is also a Spark skill gem. "Confusion", by cryptic crossword design, indicates that things here are not to be interpreted literally (or indicate an anagram). In this case, "confusion" is more like "con fusion" i.e. "with fusion", referencing the Orb of Fusing.

"
one that gives,

An incredibly vague reference to a Support Gem. Intended to imply Exalted Orbs to doomsayers.

"
one that takes,

An incredibly vague reference to an Orb of Fusing, which takes away quality... which is exactly what it does when combining two max quality swords into a zero quality Goddess Scorned.

"
And one that weeps when all alone...

Another reference to a Support Gem, which is useless alone.

"
an oath fulfilled makes.

Obviously, this just confirms that this poem is describing the recipe for the Goddess Scorned, whose flavourtext mentions an "oath fulfilled".

It was truly delightful to see so much community involvement, and so many fascinating ideas and imaginative speculation...

I had forgotten about Moonsorrow's flavourtext (which I also wrote). It does fit quite well for the last line, but is too high level and it doesn't really make sense in any other way.

Clearly, I will have to make the next recipe clue poem (The Goddess Unleashed?) even more obscure and devious.
Code warrior
Last edited by Rhys on Aug 24, 2013, 6:44:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info