:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

Episode 19 of Kimetsu no Yaiba was just... wow. One of the best episodes across all anime I've seen. It was either immensely impressive traditional 2D animation or Ufotable managed to hide their CGI so damn well that I couldn't differentiate between it and the more traditional styles. Add to that the absolutely fantastic soundtrack and the ridiculously awesome camera work... that scene gave me the chills. I really need to calm down a bit and not fanboy as hard over Ufotable as I am right now, but DAAAAMN was that a good episode.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"If I start 3.7 with a claw viper strike build, will I be happy?"
"If the answer to that is not yes, then we fucked up."
"
tsunamikun wrote:

nobody want you to take away your posivite view on apocrypha, but don't expect others to share it, and please skip the "I know more than you" speeches.

The overwhelming opinion on apocrypha has been negative compared to the earlier releases. You aren't missing much. Not sure what Solwitch is going on about, being butthurt over practically nothing.

"
FCK42 wrote:
Episode 19 of Kimetsu no Yaiba was just... wow.

Also, seconded on Kimetsu no Yaiba being pretty great. The stylized CGI looks amazing right now.
(⌐■_■)
"
RPGlitch wrote:
"
tsunamikun wrote:

nobody want you to take away your posivite view on apocrypha, but don't expect others to share it, and please skip the "I know more than you" speeches.

The overwhelming opinion on apocrypha has been negative compared to the earlier releases. You aren't missing much. Not sure what Solwitch is going on about, being butthurt over practically nothing.

I mean... it tries to do completely different things than the previous ones did. I'd also argue that it's probably a LOT better than Deen's Stay Night from 2006. The animation in Apocrypha is stellar, though in a way that's very different from Ufotables works. It's much, MUCH more classic 2D animation and a Sakugafest during larger fights, whereas UBW and Zero are perfect examples that, contrary to popular belief, it's entirely possible to make CGI and 2D animation nearly indistinguishable from each other. Which is something that apparently so far only Ufotable really managed to accomplish to that degree.

The story is also a completely different one in Apocrypha. It's only loosely connected to the original fate series and, at least from my point of view, only serves as an excuse to have a lot of servants fight each other. It's really the characters and fights that drive Apocrypha, while I feel like Zero and UBW were primarily driven by their fundamental story. Fights and characters in those two were the cherry on top.

All of them are fantastic show though in my opinion, but for different reasons.
Exactly so. Also, the Deen version had two things better than any other Fate to date: the Kenji Kawaii OST and the voice work. Rag on the Deen version all you like, but it was the show that gave Fate its most important seiyuu. It also did a better job of explaining the Holy Grail War system *and* Shirou's...particular leaps in power that becomes much more significant in UBW. Strange then that the otherwise bloated UBW by Ufotable actually glossed over his Projection training...

Anyway, Apocrypha was very well received in Japan and in the industry. That's all that really matters, given Western weebs typically don't financially support said industry anyway, at least not beyond whaling Fate GO. Anime-wise, they're just big mouths yelling into their own void, still unable to accept that anime isn't made with them in mind. Also, and this is a curious thing, for all the vocal backlash in certain circles, Apocrypha has been consistently one of the most cosplayed Fate series at recent conventions, so I'm guessing the Netflix effect is a thing...although we are starting to see a few more Ishtars and Casgils, soooo...

__

GRANBELM is now absolutely the best of its kind since Madoka. This week's episode was a stunner. I thought Cop Craft might be the season's sleeper but nope, it's a show that could easily be dismissed as a Fate/Madoka wannabe, when in truth it's more grounded than either. Somewhat ironic that Aoi Yuki, Madoka herself, is the X factor in the show.

__

The rest are pretty much on course.

Tower defence gimmick? Nope.
Main NPC with a name straight out of Diablo? Double nope.
Other games far more worthy of my time and attention? That's three strikes and yer out.

See you in 3.9.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Yeah, sorry, but that statement cannot go without a comment from me. Do you REALLY think Kimetsu no Yaiba episode 19 was merely "on course"? I mean, COME ON. Give how much of a stir this single episode created, you gotta have more to say about it than it just being "on course".
"
FCK42 wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Yeah, sorry, but that statement cannot go without a comment from me. Do you REALLY think Kimetsu no Yaiba episode 19 was merely "on course"?

I completely do. I get that you've been off gallivanting around the metal circuit or whatever, but Yaiba is just that good and I've said as much several times here. While episode 19 was very well done, it wasn't without precedent and it certainly wasn't a 'sakuga' episode if a 'sakuga episode' is typically significantly better than the others. Maybe a little less reliance on the 3D modelling trickery, although with ufotable it's increasingly difficult to tell. That's also to their credit...

Spoiler
Although I'm fairly sure dad's kagura dance was CG, it was of a similar level of quality to Chika's dance in Kaguyasama ed 2.

Yaiba started on course to be one of the best animated series ever, and it's still on that course. Aesthetically, it puts many anime movies to shame. That is its course.

At this point it seems redundant and even a little pointless to praise it -- it's a ufotable work with a solid, very popular source and Kajiura/Shiina doing the tunes. It has a ridiculously good cast, bordering on legendary right now. Everything is stacked in its favour, which means it is held to a higher standard than others. So far it's clearing that standard with seeming ease and there's no sign it's going to stop.

I've never been one for the chorus, so I'll leave the Yaiba gushing up to you. I've more interesting, challenging fish to pluck from the sea.
Other games far more worthy of my time and attention? That's three strikes and yer out.

See you in 3.9.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Aug 12, 2019, 6:34:24 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Yeah, sorry, but that statement cannot go without a comment from me. Do you REALLY think Kimetsu no Yaiba episode 19 was merely "on course"?

I completely do. I get that you've been off gallivanting around the metal circuit or whatever, but Yaiba is just that good and I've said as much several times here.

Now that's just plain mean. I was gone for just 6 days, you make it sound like I've missed the majority of the current season.

And yeah, I KNOW that Kimetsu no Yaiba was pretty much destined to be great, but I did NOT expect the last 5-ish minutes of episode 19 or the amount of publicity it'd get. The last time I saw an anime episode get that much praise from so many people it was Violet Evergarden episode 10.

I don't think it's wrong to praise something that's genuinely fantastic.
The GF recently rewatched some of the original Sailor Moon (which she's been avidly collecting now that there are decent bluray releases, finally) and I have to admit, Mitsuishi Kotono's voice was pretty damn grating back then. I'd never seen it in the original Japanese so it took a little adjustment. I feel bad admitting this because she's an absolutely legendary seiyuu. Maybe it was just the sound quality on the transfers.

__

Cop Craft was awesome this week. There really isn't an anime like it out there, or at least there hasn't been in at least a decade.

Kochoki continues to be violently neglected, lowering my general opinion of the anime community by a decent amount.

Abandoned Beasts' quality dropped this week, and the entire episode was too easy to predict from the title alone. Still, there are some intriguing things going on behind the scenes, so we'll stick with it.

__

I remain conflicted on the announcement of Tsuda Kenjirou as Manji in the much-anticipated forthcoming Blade of the Immortal adaptation. In Cop Craft, we do get to hear much more of his range after years of enigmatic cameos and obvious bad guys, so it's possible he'll do the role justice. We'll see...

At least a decent director and studio got their hands on it. I can't think of a more appropriate director for Blade of the Immortal than the guy behind Shigurui.

See you in 3.9.
eh manji doesn't talk much anyway :P Depending on the tone they will set in the adaption we will see if it fits. hmm gonna read the manga again, don't even remember much anymore.

hmm and my first anime (without knowing it was one) was either Flanders no Inu or Alps no Shoujo Heidi.. too long ago to remember which one it was (and you would think TV stations liked to traumatize kids with what they translated :D)
Legion Builds:
Physical_girlie: pure phys cycloner using berserker/champion ascendant
Scourge_girl: scourge arrow using raider/inquisitor ascendant
"
tsunamikun wrote:
hmm and my first anime (without knowing it was one) was either Flanders no Inu or Alps no Shoujo Heidi.. too long ago to remember which one it was (and you would think TV stations liked to traumatize kids with what they translated :D)

Definitely Heidi for me. It took me a long, LONG time to realise that it wasn't just a "normal" cartoon. Wasn't it made by what is essentially Ghibli nowadays? I remember reading something like that...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info