GGG pls explain the new Tempest Shield to me!

"
Rhys wrote:
"
Startkabels wrote:
"
any chance that could "fix" Tempest Shield in the process?

This player asks to fix the system that forces Tempest Shield to turn off when switching areas.

This is GGG response:
"
Tempest Shield isn't an aura and uses a different system, unfortunately.

What an unsatisfying response, make an exception please. To be honest I don't care what mechanic it uses, all I know is that it is weird that I have to keep activating it.

Don't you think it is very illogical and user unfriendly that they need to activate Tempest Shield each time they switch an area?

I mean beside the mechanic it uses, what is GGG's own explanation for this? Why do you want it turned off when switching areas? You build the game, please don't hide behind your own mechanics.

He asked if this upcoming change to auras would affect Tempest Shield, to which I replied that, no, Tempest Shield isn't an aura, so changes to auras don't affect it. That's all.

Yeah, it does suck that you have to keep recasting Tempest Shield. It uses a different system to auras, and I'm told it really isn't easy to make it persist between area changes. But don't worry, I'll keep making fun of Mark until he finds a way.

I think the question is why NOT make tempest shield run on the aura mechanic? It reserves mana for an effect, just as auras do, with only difference that it only affects the user. You could probably make it run as an aura BUT disable the aura radius in the code and it would work as it is now (only affect the user), but under aura mechanics.

This would fix the whole issue with recasting. Only "issue" is that you would have to recode TS to the aura mechanics.
Last edited by Zealflare on Aug 19, 2013, 9:29:29 PM
Auras aren't able to be used with the vast majority of support gems unlike tempest shield. Gameplay wise it was designed that way but consider it from the programmer's perspective.

Auras as an programmed effect are effectable by a small number of things. Mechanics wise, it checks for increased buff stats, mana and health pools, and radius mods. It can use checks for player proximity as well, which is a programmed function made for a vast amount of uses in the game.

Tempest Shield has many more things that can effect it support-gem wise and therefore the skill itself is vastly more complicated in the program than auras are. It has to check for increased damage, not even wrath has to check for increased damage for example, that is done for the attacks themselves. It has to check for blocking effects that can occur from its own damage, such as power charge on crit support. It has to check for critical passives that effect it as well. Most of all it has to check the blocking/reflect system itself for every block to inflict the damage onto those it has blocked. There are many factors in the game that effect all of these, such as curses. This is disregarding how the program actually executes what is occuring as well, I'm just describing the surface of the water. It can be vastly more complicated maintaining all these occurences than we know.

The solution instead would be to recode auras to tempest shield's mechanics and possibly righteous fire's mechanics while also fixing recast, but this is not an adequate description to fixing the recast issue itself, and this may be a counterproductive suggestion as well.
"
Zealflare wrote:
I think the question is why NOT make tempest shield run on the aura mechanic? It reserves mana for an effect, just as auras do, with only difference that it only affects the user. You could probably make it run as an aura BUT disable the aura radius in the code and it would work as it is now (only affect the user), but under aura mechanics.

This would fix the whole issue with recasting. Only "issue" is that you would have to recode TS to the aura mechanics.

The reason you can't do this is because Tempest Shield does damage. Apparently, spells (using the current coding) can't do damage if they weren't cast in the current instance. They can certainly make it so that tempest shield stays on between instances, it's just that it wouldn't be able to deal damage unless you re-cast it.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Aug 19, 2013, 9:47:51 PM
"
Zealflare wrote:
I think the question is why NOT make tempest shield run on the aura mechanic?

Uhh, you'd have to ask Mark, sorry. I don't really know how it works. My understanding, though, is that it does fundamentally different "stuff" to what auras can do.

[Edit] lol, ninja'd. By people who know more about it than me, no less.
Code warrior
Last edited by Rhys on Aug 19, 2013, 9:52:21 PM
"
maskedmartyr wrote:
Auras aren't able to be used with the vast majority of support gems unlike tempest shield. Gameplay wise it was designed that way but consider it from the programmer's perspective.

Auras as an programmed effect are effectable by a small number of things. Mechanics wise, it checks for increased buff stats, mana and health pools, and radius mods. It can use checks for player proximity as well, which is a programmed function made for a vast amount of uses in the game.

Tempest Shield has many more things that can effect it support-gem wise and therefore the skill itself is vastly more complicated in the program than auras are. It has to check for increased damage, not even wrath has to check for increased damage for example, that is done for the attacks themselves. It has to check for blocking effects that can occur from its own damage, such as power charge on crit support. It has to check for critical passives that effect it as well. Most of all it has to check the blocking/reflect system itself for every block to inflict the damage onto those it has blocked. There are many factors in the game that effect all of these, such as curses. This is disregarding how the program actually executes what is occuring as well, I'm just describing the surface of the water. It can be vastly more complicated maintaining all these occurences than we know.

The solution instead would be to recode auras to tempest shield's mechanics and possibly righteous fire's mechanics while also fixing recast, but this is not an adequate description to fixing the recast issue itself, and this may be a counterproductive suggestion as well.

I believe this is in essence a very nice post. Thanks!

And thanks Rhys for at least trying :)
"
Zealflare wrote:

No.
Auras do one thing:
1) Put a buff on the user (with a radius). Buffs can be transferred between areas, because they are a simple list of stats.

Tempest Shield does two things:
1) Put a buff on the user (without a radius). Buffs can be transferred between areas, because they are a simple list of stats.
2) The spell continues to actively be in effect, listening for events of damage against the player, checking if they were blocked, and actively dealing damage to those things. This is not a buff, it's the skill you actively cast continuing to actively do things in the world.
We cannot transfer the skill that is still executing from one area to another. Tempest Sheild cannot "use the aura mechanics" because the main part of what it does is fundamentally not an aura, it's an ongoing active skill.
I'm surprised that one or the other has not been generalized.

A "Persistent spell" has a radius (Tempest Shield is zero), provides a buff, and has a triggered action (auras have no action).
Removing damage from TS would be a terrible move. There's actually a lot of cool things you can do with that damage; for example, there are folks with 6L TS with huge damage and Life Leech support emulating Aegis Aurora, but without the Aegis Aurora.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Removing damage from TS would be a terrible move. There's actually a lot of cool things you can do with that damage; for example, there are folks with 6L TS with huge damage and Life Leech support emulating Aegis Aurora, but without the Aegis Aurora.

Wait... who said to remove damage from TS? o_O
Spoiler
"
Startkabels wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The script that breaks is that of damage-dealing: Skills need to be activated in a zone to deal damage. When transferred, TS will still grant the Block (just like Auras still grant their Buffs), but won't be able to deal damage. They accidentally had this live in Closed, when they added Aura transference.

TS was implemented long after the tech for activating Skills and dealing damage (obviously). When that particular mechanic was created, they didn't prepare for a skill that can be cast in an earlier area and still deal damage far beyond that. As such, the engine does not support this functionality at the moment. Can't just "make an exception" and tell it to work. Software isn't simple.

My answer is then quite simple: Get rid of the damage and boost shield block a lot.
That answers pneuma's question; by the way, it's a horrible idea.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 19, 2013, 10:29:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info