GGG pls explain the new Tempest Shield to me!

"
Startkabels wrote:
"
any chance that could "fix" Tempest Shield in the process?

This player asks to fix the system that forces Tempest Shield to turn off when switching areas.

This is GGG response:
"
Tempest Shield isn't an aura and uses a different system, unfortunately.

What an unsatisfying response, make an exception please. To be honest I don't care what mechanic it uses, all I know is that it is weird that I have to keep activating it.

Don't you think it is very illogical and user unfriendly that they need to activate Tempest Shield each time they switch an area?

I mean beside the mechanic it uses, what is GGG's own explanation for this? Why do you want it turned off when switching areas? You build the game, please don't hide behind your own mechanics.

He asked if this upcoming change to auras would affect Tempest Shield, to which I replied that, no, Tempest Shield isn't an aura, so changes to auras don't affect it. That's all.

Yeah, it does suck that you have to keep recasting Tempest Shield. It uses a different system to auras, and I'm told it really isn't easy to make it persist between area changes. But don't worry, I'll keep making fun of Mark until he finds a way.
Code warrior
"
Zealflare wrote:
I think the question is why NOT make tempest shield run on the aura mechanic?

Uhh, you'd have to ask Mark, sorry. I don't really know how it works. My understanding, though, is that it does fundamentally different "stuff" to what auras can do.

[Edit] lol, ninja'd. By people who know more about it than me, no less.
Code warrior
Last edited by Rhys on Aug 19, 2013, 9:52:21 PM
"
Zealflare wrote:
I think the question is why NOT make tempest shield run on the aura mechanic? It reserves mana for an effect, just as auras do, with only difference that it only affects the user. You could probably make it run as an aura BUT disable the aura radius in the code and it would work as it is now (only affect the user), but under aura mechanics.

This would fix the whole issue with recasting. Only "issue" is that you would have to recode TS to the aura mechanics.
No.
Auras do one thing:
1) Put a buff on the user (with a radius). Buffs can be transferred between areas, because they are a simple list of stats.

Tempest Shield does two things:
1) Put a buff on the user (without a radius). Buffs can be transferred between areas, because they are a simple list of stats.
2) The spell continues to actively be in effect, listening for events of damage against the player, checking if they were blocked, and actively dealing damage to those things. This is not a buff, it's the skill you actively cast continuing to actively do things in the world.
We cannot transfer the skill that is still executing from one area to another. Tempest Sheild cannot "use the aura mechanics" because the main part of what it does is fundamentally not an aura, it's an ongoing active skill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info