Shield Charge build? Ideas?

Hey guys, I think this post has to be in the build section, but I don't know what class to take, so I just post it here.

I was planning on making a Shield Charge build. I have a few questions.

What's the best class I could take?
Does the weapon I take matter? What's the best weapon I could take?
What's the best shield I could take?
What should the passive skill tree look like?

I couldn't find a good build on the forums with a good explanation how this build should work. If someone has a link to a good build, please share it with me, I'd really like to make a build like this :)

Thanks
I really want to make a build like this, does no one have an idea how to build it?
it's a movement/utility skill.
You cant dps with it , i tried , it's too low.
Follow whatever shield build you like and use it to move and whatnot , but you will need
to build your toon around another dps skill.
I have a character using Shield Charge, though it's still in the works so I can't exactly help with the passive tree.

For weapon, you want one with lots of damage on it. Attack Speed doesn't seem to change the skill much so a slow weapon would be fine.

For shield, high resistance with high life/es.

"
fraz81 wrote:
it's a movement/utility skill.
You cant dps with it , i tried , it's too low.

Even though it has a More Damage multiplier on it? It seems to run just fine for me even with Melee Splash. Haven't really went far with that guy though so I can't tell if the damage is gonna drop off later on.
Last edited by Obscurin on Aug 16, 2013, 12:58:10 PM
Shield charge is for mobility and utility. If you make a build revolving around it as your main attack, you're doing it wrong.
"
Obscurin wrote:

Even though it has a More Damage multiplier on it?

that is part of the "utility".
The other being the stun and the actual movement. The stun also needs the damage to proc so it's all related imo.

Your heavy strike, or whatever other skill gonna really outdps shield charge if used as main dps skill. By a lot.
double post
Last edited by fraz81 on Aug 16, 2013, 1:52:22 PM
I have one in the works. My planning includes Heavy Strike and Leap Slam to buildup distance from the boss and clean mobs.

With this in mind, I'm using maces.

However, my goal with this build is finishing Cruel. Not even thinking on reaching maps.
I've mostly played melee since closed beta.

I mostly use shields.

I always have Shield Charge if using shields.

Shield Charge is a fine single target skill (for bosses),the bread and butter skills however for a no frills melee build for me are Leap Slam for crowds and Heavey Strike for champs/uniques.

I find Shield Charge linked with Stun+leeche and used at max range as effective as it ever needs be.

It is a great utility skill,but fails in many situations,for example tight or close quarter combat,especially with rooms/corridors with a lot of environmental junk placed in them.Hitting any piece of environmental junk or pillars (anything not an enemy for that matter) stops you dead in your tracks and garners zero damage result.While this sucks for you,it can be used to your advantage when fighting mobs with a charge ability (Roahs and the knight guys act 3).

Even as a boss fight skill,it's main use is to get to the boss quickly with some damage incurred,hit a few times with heavey strike and then get out safely/fast again with shield charge.best use in conjunction with decoy totem to hold the boss still,so you don't miss your target and also to turn the bosses back to you (you don't want any boss facing you when you're charging and the boss then doing it's one hit kill move while you're movement locked)

Having said all that,feel free to try make it work in a different way for you,I know I have.It just isn't at all effective as a mainstay skill for anything but boss fights.It doesn't suck because it's underpowered,it's was intentionally made as a utility skill is all. =)

EDIT: Oh and since you have a shield,do yourself a favor and use those shield passives,nothing says screw you more to mobs than 75% shield block and having a granite with endurance charges to back it up.Also consider Tempest Shield gem.4% shield block is nothing to sniff at.

As far as using the build with maps,make something,not melee. hehehe

Last edited by Temper on Aug 16, 2013, 7:25:48 PM
I have been using a combo of Shield charge, whirling blades and spectral weapon.. I use Whirling and Spectral for spamming low lvls and shield charge for the rares and above.. Shield charge in to the main target and whirling blades for distance and shield rerun.. Currently lvl 58 and still going strong in merciless.. Only been playing this toon for a few days..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info