Several questions about game spell mechanics and crafting

while we're talking about game mechanics can someone tell me if crit chance modifiers and crit chance passives affect spell crit?
"
Malice wrote:
"
RG_PankO wrote:
I am hitting with Infernal Blow.
It converts 50% of phys dmg to fire dmg, so correct me please if this math is wrong:
if I hit with 100-100 dmg whepon and I have +50% fire dmg from passives and + 100% phys dmg from passives I would make the numbers will be like this:
fire dmg without passives: 100/2 = 50
fire dmg with passives: 50 + 50% = 75 total fire dmg
phys without passives = 100/2 = 50
phys with passives = 50 + 100% = 100 dmg

total: 50 fire and 100 phys = 150 dmg per hit.

You're close but the thing you're missing is that the converted damage also gets bonuses from the type it is converted from applied to it.

So the Physical portion will get +100%, while the fire portion will get both +100% and +50%, for a total of +150%.

Fire: (100 * 0.5) * (0.5 + 1.0 + 1) = 125
Physical: (100 * 0.5) * (1.0 + 1) = 100

Are you sure with the physical part Malice? Because if you check the link i posted above mark_GGG double the physical bonus when he did his calculation (it might be a typo on his side, but it might also be a feature)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
"
Sony_Black wrote:
Are you sure with the physical part Malice? Because if you check the link i posted above mark_GGG double the physical bonus when he did his calculation (it might be a typo on his side, but it might also be a feature)

Oh, yes that looks like mark made a typo. He's explained the same mechanic quite often so I'm sure that's how it works.
Last edited by Malice on Sep 12, 2012, 1:51:53 PM
I've fixed the typo in that post, if anyone can find the original post I was quoting that from and point me at it I'll fix it there too, but I've made enough posts that finding a specific one is difficult.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I've fixed the typo in that post, if anyone can find the original post I was quoting that from and point me at it I'll fix it there too, but I've made enough posts that finding a specific one is difficult.

Ah OK, sorry about the confusion... it was actually the first post i clicked on after my quick search :P
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
I thank to everybody that posted in the topic, you have been in great help.

I want to ask you about shields - block recovery and chance of block.
What does the shield can block actually? I noticed that it blocks arrows and melee attacks from the skeletons for example.

But what about the blue cold and the fire skeletons which hit with cold and fire dmg? Can the shield block their attack? Do the block completely remove the attack? How often can it block attacks? What if I run into 10 mobs and all attack me, and what if I am against 1 target, let's say a boss?
Please throw some knowledge at me.

Does that amulet that says that converts 50% of the block chance to spells will block attacks from those nasty cold skeletons that love to free my ass?
Will the shield be able with that amulet to block the last boss' lightning attack that one-shots me?
Oook, after wasting 30 jewers and 10+ fusions I decided to come here and ask why my evil plan didn't work :(

I want to use Tempest Shield with supported gems for blind/monsters flee.
The problem is - it doesn't work even if the skill description says that it will work :(

Screen here: http://s13.postimage.org/ktooylgdj/screenshot_0008.png

So what does Tempest Shield really stack with exept reduced mana cost.

I let 1 mob to hit me 12497792 times until he killed himself and he wasn't blinded neither flee, so I am pretty sure this doesn't work.
"
sage2050 wrote:
while we're talking about game mechanics can someone tell me if crit chance modifiers and crit chance passives affect spell crit?

Yes they do

"
RG_PankO wrote:
I want to ask you about shields - block recovery and chance of block.
What does the shield can block actually? I noticed that it blocks arrows and melee attacks from the skeletons for example.

Shields block attacks, that is, anything that uses a weapon. Block recovery is an animation that your character does when blocking, but it only happens if you would have been stunned by the attack if it wasn't blocked. Faster block recovery mods speed up the animation so you recover faster.

"
But what about the blue cold and the fire skeletons which hit with cold and fire dmg? Can the shield block their attack?

No, those count as spells. It's just a matter of experience to know what is and isn't a spell, for instance the snake things that shoot green blobs, those are attacks and can be blocked. But the wierd pointy-head tentacle things shoot a thing that looks like a black wand attack, is actually a spell that can't be blocked.

"
Do the block completely remove the attack?

Yes

"
How often can it block attacks? What if I run into 10 mobs and all attack me, and what if I am against 1 target, let's say a boss?

There is no limit to the amount of times you can block. If you got attacked 1000 times in one second you could theoretically block every attack.

"
Does that amulet that says that converts 50% of the block chance to spells will block attacks from those nasty cold skeletons that love to free my ass?

Yes

"
Will the shield be able with that amulet to block the last boss' lightning attack that one-shots me?

I don't know.
Last edited by Malice on Sep 12, 2012, 9:48:41 PM
Woah, Malice, thx for the reply.
The thing that made me most impression is about the animation that the hero do after blocks attack - actually I don't see it but it is because I have a point on that passive cannot evade, cannot be stunned - so it is very important for a shield wielder.
I guess if 10 mobs attack one after another in 100 milliseconds delay one of other if the player has not that passive he won't be able to block, let's say his really lucky, all of the attacks, because his character has to complete the animation between every attack, is that correct?

Can anyone please answer my question about the Tempest Shield? http://s13.postimage.org/ktooylgdj/screenshot_0008.png
I spend lot's of orbs to 4 sock and link my boots and then it was for nothing :/
I have Blood Magic on so that 20% lose of HP is a great deal for me and the spell by default doesn't worth it, but I thought with a few support gems for Monsters Flee and Blind when I go in a room full of skeletons when they hit me hard at least part of them will be "stunned", will go do their business elsewhere for a moment, but it didn't work.
Ok, I just made a test, after a lot of mobs hitting me the shield managed to blind a few for a short duration of time and actually the blind didn't do anything - they continues hitting me, I tried to see if they can follow me, I runned they went after me :/ I don't get it how this blind works.

You can see on this pic the mob on the left is blinded by the shield.

That's the visual effect of blind, right?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info