Several questions about game spell mechanics and crafting

Hello guys

I am a duelist with this build -> http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQQBBubJgQdrlNUJFgOqCmXZTguCpKYOhOkcDvSWEQ9Iu-IZ1d4IKRnjEymGwI8qum1eNDa1ajTfSzw3lwhEN8Qjf0ddgsJTT2zCVHnnAGGKaihoDWGZbtz8m3FpIN11yqz1d88CWXn5G8V631gQf0zSBIkb7dyJg5MkihcTm4yM_i-NqRj_liPKQaBs8-OoL3qJqkgB87L3UEez9dY3tOqHW7ei0Gq51kRhv5wDPs0SrI7PZvgt0UgtKNS2H1TUucAg1YyD9NfMo_nczZ574ytoRegBjrHqO24_88py5qoOCjCW1QR6nYSydv2pYj-vZ_Pp5YNbdNjZxq_8pTUUygGufZG1nyOvUpRm

I am hitting with Infernal Blow.
It converts 50% of phys dmg to fire dmg, so correct me please if this math is wrong:
if I hit with 100-100 dmg whepon and I have +50% fire dmg from passives and + 100% phys dmg from passives I would make the numbers will be like this:
fire dmg without passives: 100/2 = 50
fire dmg with passives: 50 + 50% = 75 total fire dmg
phys without passives = 100/2 = 50
phys with passives = 50 + 100% = 100 dmg

total: 50 fire and 100 phys = 150 dmg per hit.

Alright second question:
What exacly does the passive skill "Unwavering stance" do?
It says cannot evade - sounds bad, and also can not be stunned - sounds awesome.
The thing is I haven't seen stun in the game or I didn't recognise it.
I have only been frozen - which is like stun, you can not move/attack, but no stun like in other games.
What's this stun actually?

Other question is about crafting.
Like I said I am a 50 lvl and I saved some mats and I want to start crafting.
What are good items to start craft on/with?
Items with already linked sockets? Items with awesome stats but bad sockets?
What rings/amus are good for crafting?
There are amus with 20% rare items and are white.
I should apply to them a chaos orb and hope for best results or?
Please explain me what is good to craft and on what item to start work on.
Stuns are mostly only really short interruptions - but they do cancel your current attack/spell so they can be quite annoying.

EDIT3: stuns can be more obvious when someone has huge +stun duration modifiers - there are builds which actually manage to 'stun lock' enemys (stunning them fast enough that they never get to finsih an attack or spell)

EDIT: about the damage: i think it goes this way:
you deal 100 base damage, have +100% phys and got 50% damage converted (to fire) and +50% fire damage.
You'll deal: (100*0.5)*1.5 = 75 fire damage (you convert 50% and get the improved fire damage on it) and
100*2 - 100*0.5 = 150 pyhsical damage (you ge the phys modifier on the full base damage, but you have to substract the converted damage)

So you deal altogether 225 damage (150 pys and 75 fire)

EDIT2: though i'm not 100% sure if i did it correctly ;)

EDIT4: forget the above calculation - i most likely got it wrong :P

Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Sep 11, 2012, 5:01:31 PM
If I were you, I'd run a forum search for "mark_GGG conversion".

He's posted repeatedly about how the conversion mechanic works, and my understanding of it is way different than what sony black posted above. Doesn't mean I'm correct, just means it'd be worth looking up mark's explanations. He's put them all over the place.

I know, though, that my understanding is at least a little bit flawed. So I won't try to put the correct mechanics down here.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
"
Zakaluka wrote:
If I were you, I'd run a forum search for "mark_GGG conversion".

He's posted repeatedly about how the conversion mechanic works, and my understanding of it is way different than what sony black posted above. Doesn't mean I'm correct, just means it'd be worth looking up mark's explanations. He's put them all over the place.

I know, though, that my understanding is at least a little bit flawed. So I won't try to put the correct mechanics down here.

Yeah just searched it - i am most likely wrong :(

Here is the topic i'm currently checking: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20721/highlight//page/1#p321293. I hope this info is still true.

(though he adds 20% instead of 10% for physical damage - it seem if you get only half the ohys you get double the bouns, which sums up into the same number i have calculated - so at least the physical part above should be true; IF i read ths right i have calculated to little fire damage)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
Current OB success:
Last edited by Sony_Black on Sep 11, 2012, 5:07:41 PM
Alright, thx for the replies.
Please answer the the other questions too please, about craft and so on.

Also I find maps now, I am lvl 52.
Do I need 60 lvl to do the maps?
They are all 60 lvl maps that I find.
Also how do I use them?
About crafting - you can definatly already put your alchemy orbs to good use on high lvl jewelery (try to find them with max implicit stats if possible - e.g. the amulet whch gives + to all stats has a max of +20).
On other equipment - if you think you need something stronger badly use alchemys, otherwise i peronally would still only make magical items on lvl 50 (since you'll still find better equipment).

My personal preference for crafting is to find white items with good links (aat least 4L -> check the vendors regularly, actually two of my current items on my lvl 57 templar where bought there) make them 20% quality (takes you only 4 armores/blacksmiths because white items get 5% for every one used on them) and than use alchemys/chaos or transmutation/alteration/augmentation on them (depends on the item if it is something i think i might use for a long time i alch it, otherwise i rather go for transmutation).

IF i find a really great rare i'll of course try to get the sockets/links i need (IMHO linked sockets are far more important than stats) - but it seems that crafting a item with good sockets into a good magic/rare is far easier than t get the right links on an already rare item (but as i said if you find somthing really strong it can be worth it - but it'll take a LOT of orbs and is advisable only on items you are quite sure you'll keep (almost) to the end)
E.g. i've found this shield:
Unavailable

And since i was searching for a shield with all resistances and the fire res allowed me to use a saphire ring and topaz ring without additional fire res and still have maxed resitances (i also had really good examples of both those rings in my stash). Luckily my old shield didn't have linked sockets either - this one will surely still be crafted to get those 3 linked (but as i said for now it'll do since my old shield wasn't better).
A quick look on the item page here http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/armour told me that this shield has the highest armor in the game except anotehr tower shild which is lvl 67 (so very, very late endgame) - that is the reason i decided to craft it into an item i can use untill i find that other (which is as i said very far away). I will probably use also some of those orbs whih add mods to rare itmes on it when i find them (hoping for a +armor mod - its the only thing missing to make it perfect for me)

EDIT: for the maps question: you'll get access to a special area where oyu can open them when you beat the act 2 boss on merciless
Current OB success:
Last edited by Sony_Black on Sep 12, 2012, 5:37:36 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Sony_Black thx for the great answer.
I do share you opinion about the linked sockets - they are far more important.
I dream for an armor with 6 linked sockets so I can boost my main attack skill with 5 support gems. Atm I am with 4 linked sockets. The weapon sockets are just luxury for me, the important part is to have good dmg because it applied to all the spells.
So it's worth it to craft on rings with 30 res, ot +20 stats, or +20 rarity, like these:
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Although the orbs of +1 rare stats, if the rare isn't with max stats, are pretty expensive :/

I assume for rings and ammys people only alchemy ones with higher item levels but I have found some good rare rings with lower item levels. The item level may or may not be important to you. But if you need a good resist ring I would alchemy a higher level resist ring with maximum base stats.
"
RG_PankO wrote:
Sony_Black thx for the great answer.
I do share you opinion about the linked sockets - they are far more important.
I dream for an armor with 6 linked sockets so I can boost my main attack skill with 5 support gems. Atm I am with 4 linked sockets. The weapon sockets are just luxury for me, the important part is to have good dmg because it applied to all the spells.
So it's worth it to craft on rings with 30 res, ot +20 stats, or +20 rarity, like these:
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Although the orbs of +1 rare stats, if the rare isn't with max stats, are pretty expensive :/

Its definatly worth crafting those rings if you have found them in the high lvl areas ;)

Jewelery still has an item level (e.g. a ring found with a new character on the strand will have a really low item level, while stuff in merciless will have a pretty high lvl) so if you are going to use alchemy orbs first make sure that those rings aren't to 'old' (i made that mistake in the begginig, because i didn't know that there is a difference betwen a +30 res ring from normal and one found on the higher difficulties).
The itemlvl of rings/amulets and belts define how good the mods on them can be (check the item page here on the webpage for more info about which lvl is required for which mod - e.g. a ilvl 12 ring can get at best max life +29, while an ilvl 44 can get max life +79 (of course you can also get unlucky and still get the weaker mod with the higher lvl item))
You can get the item level by picking up the item (so that it is on your mouse cursor) and typing /itemlevel in the chat (you'll ge tthe ilvl written in the chat)
Current OB success:
Last edited by Sony_Black on Sep 12, 2012, 10:44:17 AM
"
RG_PankO wrote:
I am hitting with Infernal Blow.
It converts 50% of phys dmg to fire dmg, so correct me please if this math is wrong:
if I hit with 100-100 dmg whepon and I have +50% fire dmg from passives and + 100% phys dmg from passives I would make the numbers will be like this:
fire dmg without passives: 100/2 = 50
fire dmg with passives: 50 + 50% = 75 total fire dmg
phys without passives = 100/2 = 50
phys with passives = 50 + 100% = 100 dmg

total: 50 fire and 100 phys = 150 dmg per hit.

You're close but the thing you're missing is that the converted damage also gets bonuses from the type it is converted from applied to it.

So the Physical portion will get +100%, while the fire portion will get both +100% and +50%, for a total of +150%.

Fire: (100 * 0.5) * (0.5 + 1.0 + 1) = 125
Physical: (100 * 0.5) * (1.0 + 1) = 100

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info