[0.9.12] Show us your interesting characters and be featured on our YouTube channel!

0nin, it's the Static Blows cluster that allows for 20% chance of shock.

It's a very simplistic and strong build. Could swap elemental proliferation for GMP and do better, as well as actively casting firestorm instead of running around while the totems spread shock everywhere.
"
0nin wrote:
Chris, you're aware that a Flame Totem does too little Lightning damage per individual hit for the game to ever apply Shocked, right? :3

You can increase your chance to shock separate from critical strikes and damage, with Static Blows and Elemental Weakness.
Last edited by BurnOutBrighter on Oct 14, 2012, 6:46:06 PM
Doesn't matter. Shocked duration depends on the amount of lightning damage done compared to the max HP of the target hit. If this percentage is too low, the game doesn't even bother applying Shocked.
Exactly. When flame totem came up, I thought the same: "cool, I can shock everything!". But then I realized pretty fast that you cannot exceed the 300 ms shock duration with fast firing abilities. Especially not if you are only doing a portion as lightning damage.
http://www.roadatlas.eu
0nin may be right, its fairly difficult to tell.

If that's the case its a fairly easy solution of swapping the lightning damage out for faster casting, or ANY other support gem, this build can adapt in that way, which is what makes it extremely viable and successful.

It will still be extremely powerful, even if you just leave added lightning damage in, its still providing a DPS boost and is very easy gem to get, and you get it very early on.

The only points that would need to be adjusted spec wise are the two adding shock on hit, and they can be placed anywhere really.

I didn't get to thoroughly test this build as it was being reset onto Legacy and I wanted to get a good start on the fresh leagues, but that's what everyone else can do :D (That and I used a good 150+ fusings trying to 5-link that staff, I ran out)

If the shock duration is 300ms however, then it will be doing its job (assuming it is applying), you're firing substantially faster than that, and even having a 40% damage increase half the time it is an increase non-the-less.
Last edited by Neonspyder on Oct 14, 2012, 8:32:49 PM
Azura - level 44 Marauder (caster)

Hi I just made my new character and its one that I have had the most fun playing yet. It has slight drawbacks from needing stat requirements early game, but it is not much of a problem late game
Gear

Most Notable
Unavailable

All other gear - going for cast speed
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

I spend a lot of time on low life, so I have a lot of rarity normally
Skills
  • Haste - aura to increase attack speed
  • Shock Nova - linked with concentrated effect + iron will (main attack)
  • Lightning warp totems (secondary/main attack, I always have these up)
  • Enduring cry - I have 5 endurance charges while fighting
  • Enfeeble - support curse if needed
Playstyle
I cast endurance charges constantly and keep my totems up at all times. At the start of a group of mobs I cast totems which will follow me around so I dont have to cast them too much.
I kite mobs along with my totems, getting in close to shock nova them. If there are blues/rares I will use my curse just in case.
Moltern shell was essential early game before I reached blood magic, but then shock nova begins to surpass it.
I use potions to keep my health higher when I cast my totems, but once they are up I let my health drop a bit lower to get bonus rarity from my unique boots. If I let my endurance charges expire then I will immediately heal because it is too risky to stay low hp without at least 3 charges.
I died one time (due to internet problems on my end, so I disconnected, wasnt dysnc), but before that I was in Hardcore up to level 42.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Metronomy wrote:

Hi I just made my new character and its one that I have had the most fun playing yet. It has slight drawbacks from needing stat requirements early game, but it is not much of a problem late game
Gear

Most Notable
Unavailable

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Skills
Playstyle
I cast endurance charges constantly and keep my totems up at all times. At the start of a group of mobs I cast totems which will follow me around so I dont have to cast them too much.
I kite mobs along with my totems, getting in close to shock nova them. If there are blues/rares I will use my curse just in case.
Moltern shell was essential early game before I reached blood magic, but then shock nova begins to surpass it.
I use potions to keep my health higher when I cast my totems, but once they are up I let my health drop a bit lower to get bonus rarity from my unique boots. If I let my endurance charges expire then I will immediately heal because it is too risky to stay low hp without at least 3 charges.
I died one time (due to internet problems on my end, so I disconnected, wasnt dysnc), but before that I was in Hardcore up to level 42.

my favourite thing from that post. THE COLOUR FONT! :D brb gonna steal that

edit: is this an iron will caster? didnt see u mention it. and going low life in HC must be exhilarating i imagine
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Last edited by Invalesco on Oct 18, 2012, 10:49:30 AM
"
Metronomy wrote:

Gear

Most Notable
Unavailable

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Skills
Playstyle

Lightning... Warp... Totems?
"
Crossflip wrote:
Lightning... Warp... Totems?
Visually it is very fun, I dont have to re-cast them for every mob encounter (because they follow me) and its lightning damage which syncs well with my shock nova.

I could use spark but then I have to worry about totem placement, and cant spend so much time tanking.
Last edited by Metronomy on Oct 18, 2012, 7:31:17 PM
"
0nin wrote:
Doesn't matter. Shocked duration depends on the amount of lightning damage done compared to the max HP of the target hit. If this percentage is too low, the game doesn't even bother applying Shocked.

The only way this can work is if you combine these totems with a high critical multiplier and then use a diamond flask - then your totem will apply shock continuously during the diamond flask duration.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info