Just add a colorblind Option?

I can't be sure, but I think most people don't like the changes to the socket graphics. It's not necessarily the size of the socket holes now; it's just that the colors look like something out of a cartoon. It really doesn't match.

I have no idea how hard this is to implement, but why not just add a colorblind option that when you toggle, it changes the color of the sockets from something a little more gritty to what you have now? This should make everyone happy (assuming the colors you have now do actually help colorblind people see). It just seems strange to me you'd make it look worse for the majority just to help out the (I assume pretty small) minority?

Otherwise, I really like the patch; great work!
Last edited by snarge on Sep 10, 2012, 10:40:03 AM
Unavailable

To let everyone see what I'm saying.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I will agree... it's not that the color/design are bad... it's just that I find it's out of place from the rest of the game...

like OP said... Cartoony... does not match the dark/gritty look of the game...

Maybe a simpler solution would be to revert the color cheme back, and add a row, in the item description with something like "G<->R<->B B R<-G>" (but prettier :)

Completely agree. This color scheme on the new sockets looks way too elementary. I can understand the need to accommodate the color blind (some 8% of males are said to be color blind) but not at the cost of sacrificing the art direction of the game. I'm fine with the new links between the sockets, as that has kept the same gothic/gritty feel. These colors on the new sockets used are not in the game in ANY other place. It's one thing to highlight something for usability, its another to highlight a lack of art consistency. I'm, sure the devs are getting sufficient feedback from the Color Blinds (they love this moniker I'm sure) and will adjust the art accordingly. I mean, even adding a texture layer/art on top of the socket colors may detract from the plainness of them as well. It very well could be the fact that they are so plain that makes them stick out even more... not just the colors
I agree. This should be as an option in the UI to turn on the enhanced colors.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
I agree
Its actually not too bad if you just give it a chance. Primarily I like the links. Much thinner than before. Honestly before, I couldn't tell what an item was sometime due to the number of sockets and links on the item. At-least now you have a slightly better chance.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root - Thoreau, Henry David
How about taking this a slightly different path?

Instead of the bright colors why not go with gem shapes?

Red = Vertical 4 sided diamond
Green = Cut square
Blue = Horizontal Diamond

... or whatever.

With gems/Supports to match

Or you could go with a visual like 3 gem clips in red, 4 gem clips in green and 5 in Blue.

Thus with the shapes as a solution to the CB folks out there, we can stick with the darker/dingier colors that are so much more appropriate to the atmosphere of the game.

-- Providing opinions since I was old enough to tell my sister she was ugly.
Last edited by GrimJahk on Sep 10, 2012, 4:35:06 PM
Agree, the shape/colour looks out of theme
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/49509/page/1
Go to the link above to follow the proper thread on the subject.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info