Ethereal Knives + facebreaker = OP ?

Thanks a lot to all! I will try the dual totem build + FCR and projectile dmg. Starting as a templar looks the best choice :) I hope I can tank while totems kill stuff.

Edit: on a second thought I can also kill stuff and make use of Life/Mana leach since EK delas phy dmg.
At the end I should be getting triple EK shooting.
Or I can start as a ranger and use only one totem and taking more projectile nodes...
Last edited by Nazgull on Sep 11, 2012, 6:31:54 AM
"
Charan wrote:
They might have affected physical spells earlier than the beta phase (I can imagine it on alpha) but there's no way it'd make that far. :)
For the record, they did not. It would actually be significantly harder to make them do so, as spell damage is not affected by weapon-specific increases at all and does not care about weapon types.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
They might have affected physical spells earlier than the beta phase (I can imagine it on alpha) but there's no way it'd make that far. :)
For the record, they did not. It would actually be significantly harder to make them do so, as spell damage is not affected by weapon-specific increases at all and does not care about weapon types.

Noted and fair enough.

I do appreciate these insights into the inner-workings of the mechanics, too. Each one makes any future suggestions I might make that little bit more hesitant and considered. ;)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Nazgull wrote:
make use of Life/Mana leach since EK delas phy dmg.

Life and mana leech support gems apply to any damage dealt by the linked skill and not just to physical. You can use those with spells regardless of damage type. Ice Spear and Fireball work just as well as EK. Life or mana leech from other items and passives apply to physical damage dealt by your attacks and since EK is a spell, not an attack, those sources of leech do not apply.
"
BlastMonkey wrote:
"
Nazgull wrote:
make use of Life/Mana leach since EK delas phy dmg.

Life and mana leech support gems apply to any damage dealt by the linked skill and not just to physical. You can use those with spells regardless of damage type. Ice Spear and Fireball work just as well as EK. Life or mana leech from other items and passives apply to physical damage dealt by your attacks and since EK is a spell, not an attack, those sources of leech do not apply.

in the item prefix list, in the life/mana leech sections, it says physical damage, and no mention of attacks or spells.

are you sure leech on gear won't work with the physical damage from ethereal knives? have you tested it?
the path that can be chosen is not the correct path to choose. such is the nature of the Dao.
"
Dao wrote:
in the item prefix list, in the life/mana leech sections, it says physical damage, and no mention of attacks or spells.

are you sure leech on gear won't work with the physical damage from ethereal knives? have you tested it?

I've pointed this out once before, and as Mark mentioned:

Unavailable

The item prefix list does not list it correctly, but items in game do. They won't work with physical spell damage because they're not attacks.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Sep 12, 2012, 12:44:15 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
That item prefix list is currently grabbing internal stat names that weren't intended to be exposed to users originally. Some of them are mildly misleading like this because things in the game engine change function over time. I suspect we'll set up a way for them to get pretty names at some point, but for now they're showing you names which weren't set up to be understandable and sensible to players.
It's already been debunked but in case you wanted a screenshot, it does not work:

http://i.imgur.com/BpAA1.jpg
"
Dao wrote:

Yes. As I mentioned it is a primary skill for one of my characters. Look past the fact it deals physical damage and focus on the relevant point: it's a spell, not an attack.
"
Dazanan wrote:
It's already been debunked but in case you wanted a screenshot, it does not work:

http://i.imgur.com/BpAA1.jpg

THANKS! that was the correct answer to the OP :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info