Evade Useless

I have heard rumors that evasion is a useless bonus, compared to armor and energy shield. Because the chance that you do get hit it will hurt a lot...insta gib.
They have plans to revamp the evasion system. It's mostly an issue in hardcore, but can also be annoying in the default league (I presume).
Fourier - Level 41 Templar (Hardcore League)
FourierII - Level 55 Duelist (Hardcore League)
HC Ladder Rank: 7
There have been a lot of balance and playability issues brought up with evasion. GGG is definitely looking into ways to address these issues.
Forum Sheriff
I haven't heard anything like that. But if it is that way, I'm sure they will work on fixing it. That's that the beta is for: fixing as many issues as possible, including balance ones.
How will I know limits from lies, if I never try?
"
Prymull wrote:
I haven't heard anything like that. But if it is that way, I'm sure they will work on fixing it. That's that the beta is for: fixing as many issues as possible, including balance ones.

Well the issue with evasion is that it's based on luck.

So you either take 100% of the damage from a shot, or 0%. With armor, you consistently take reduced damage (say, 50% reduced damage).

In a hardcore setting, you don't really want to rely on luck, so you'll favor a persistent 50% damage reduction over a luck based evasion system. The problem with rangers is that, by default, they are squishy, and at some point in the game, if they have an unlucky streak of failed evasions, they die.

Whereas if they had had armor instead, they might've survived the damage burst.
Fourier - Level 41 Templar (Hardcore League)
FourierII - Level 55 Duelist (Hardcore League)
HC Ladder Rank: 7
Evasion can be rebalanced for chance to dodge, and then apply evasion DR to critical hits... problem probably solved.

You could also give them chance to evade magic.

I think with these two fixes their chances for being unfairly killed within the context of suitable play will be minimal.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:
Evasion can be rebalanced for chance to dodge, and then apply evasion DR to critical hits... problem probably solved.

You could also give them chance to evade magic.

I think with these two fixes their chances for being unfairly killed within the context of suitable play will be minimal.

I doubt that would solve the problem if the game is anything like D2. (no beta here so iam just theory crafting)

You dont need to critical hit to do alot of damage. Even with 75% Evasion the chance of 3 consequetive hits would be 1,5%
and even without crits this would mean instant death on a squishy class. If you consider the amount of strong enemies in a ARPG this could hardly be called "minimal".

On top of that evasion is overated on any squishy class anyway. Evasion as does armor scales with flat HP that is mostly available in the str tree. This means agi or int classes with alot of armor would still be rather quishy and dont break the system in any form if the would have acces to armor.

A mauroder with 500hp and 50% reduction would still have 4 times the EHP of a ranger with 250HP and the same reduction, or in other words he would get 2 times the value out of every point of armor.
(This also means that the energy shield what equals +flat EHP is much stronger then armor on low HP classes )

The only easy fix could be to either add armor or HP to evasion items at the cost of lower evasion properties. Or to completly rework evasion to something that is no longer evasion. Even a change in the RNG system could not solve it since ARPGs are way to crowded with enemies.(like change 25% to every 4th atack)

Last edited by Droggeltasse on Aug 25, 2011, 4:51:27 AM
In the Beta Manifesto (please everyone, read this), we described our feelings on this. The way that armours work will probably be changed dramatically soon so that characters don't need to rely on trying to get close to 100% evasion. Its variance is just too hard to survive through on higher difficulties.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Aug 25, 2011, 4:38:34 AM
"
Chris wrote:
In the Beta Manifesto (please everyone, read this), we described our feelings on this. The way that armours work will probably be changed dramatically soon so that characters don't need to rely on trying to get close to 100% evasion. Its variance is just too hard to survive through on higher difficulties.

You're up pretty early...
Still, how about an idea to make evasion work like 100% dmg reduction for N hits in X secs. Something like "energy shield" counted in hits, not health points. That wouldn't let evasion classes to take a lot of dmg, but still can save them from short-term bursts. What do you think?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info