I really think you should reconsider not charging atleast something for the game

Its good points and concerns but the F2P w/ microtrsnsactions will be adaquit I think. If you really want to pay for it just get like 20$ worth of microtransactions. GGG isn't going to change its stance on this and know there's money to be made this way.
I too want it to survive for the long haul like many of us and the F2P model will do that. Constant new people and people will pay hundreds over time if they like it enough. Look at LoL people spend a lot on the skins and one comes out every week basicly.
Hardcore Ladder:
Kronic_z Marauder Level 37
Kronic_DMT Witch
i haven't played it yet but if its as good as it looks its worth it for everyone to pay at least for the game itself. i'm hoping this game can be a long term quality game :)
First it is important to understand that "free to play" is a business model and it does not mean the game is free !

You can either create a f2p business model or you can put a reasonable retail price and dont focus on additional f2p content at all. In other words 15$+ retail and no ingame shop or f2p !

It is quite simple. A ingame shop (f2p system) can only work with a sufficient playerbase and not charging anything for the retail product is a easy way to secure this.
Every additional content that will be added to the game costs money and the revenue is based on the playerbase you already have. If you have 1/5 of the playerbase you would get 1/5 revenue with the same costs for development and you can pretty easy get to a point where the system will break and you will make less money in the long run.

And it is obvious that the competetors Torchlight 2, Diablo III and Grim Dawn will make it quite difficult to establish a sufficient playerbase.

I think a intelligent f2p model would be best. It will be for sure a bigger risk then a small retail price but could pay off in the long run.
The problem is that there is not much announced about the f2p system other then no p2win, but that does not say much.
You need a way to lure the playerbase into the shop and allow them to get used to it before they even put money in the game.

This could be done by selling very cheap convenience. You could for example reduce the stash size to 2 pages and sell a increase to 4 for 1$. It would be a no-brainer for people that played for a long time and make sure that people are used to the shop.

Another way would be to create a way to earn the shop items through ingame currency earned, like LoL does it. When you first use the LoL shop with real money you already used it countless times before what makes the final step to invest money alot easier.

But a retail price will most likely harm any ingame shop to the point that there is no reason to create one in the first place. This game is not LoL and it is not Terraria. Its no unique game with a certain charm !
Its a solid H&S aimed at players that liked D2 overshadowed by giant competetors and it will need something to get a solid marketshare if it wants to become more then a small indie game nobody has ever heard of.
Last edited by Droggeltasse on Aug 24, 2011, 7:56:16 AM
Yes, I dont like microtransactions on any game.

Even though GGG say that the purchases will be for nothing that buys 'power', I still dont like it that people have access to other things through the f2p model.

I agree a f2p model is successful in other games BUT... this is a type of game that, as of late, has been hard to come by, so people will pay for this!
I personally think it should stay F2P . WHy ? Because I for one , WILL be buying spell effects , toon skins , and hopefully, different hair color , faces, etc. Anything that I can buy to make my character look uniquely mine I will buy. I cant wait for this game to open so I can use the cash shop!

Instead of going retail and paying 10$ why not having this as an option i.e a donation system which only gives you a small perk, a title or something else. But nothing that harms gameplay or widens the gap between newcomers and "elitists". So anyone that wants can help through donating a small sum equivalent to a realistic retail price.

Furthermore a F2P with well and up to standard microtransactions for aesthetics should be the way to go. But do note, these items/skins/spell looks shouldn't be made all at once, they should flood the market but instead grow in a moderate pace as the community and willingness to pay grows.
If you want to support GGG, just use microtransactions. You can consider it as donation.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
It's common sense for the most part, take LoL for example: F2P, over-charge for skins/RP. The average person thinks "oh I used to spend $15/mo on WoW or some other P2P, so I don't mind spending $ on this" most people spend $ on LoL believe it or not.

If LoL had charged a base price or a monthly fee it would be nowhere near the success it has driven out of people.

Casual people have $, this will be exploited for many years to come.

The only concern is GGG needs to get a bit creative on what they can sell to make people stand out in uniqueness without taking away from the game. Their ideas aren't too bad so far.
It'd be great if they would charge a little for beta keys. Smart idea, while the game stays as a f2p game post beta, and I'm positive that thousands of people wouldn't mind paying right now for the beta keys.
Women are good for three things... Cleaning, cooking, and Betas.
i do agree that micro transaction suck balls. i would love to pay for the game as long as its not rush on the market for a quick buck. charge me 50$ i dont care but plz avoid micro transaction at all cost.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info