Officially Supported Linux Client

>>Still not enough for a port, unfortunately.

But you can't count the number of users leaving the horror of Win8 for green pastures. Or is that darker dungeons. Either way, build it and they will come. Hell, I'll pay $50 for a native Linux port.. Lets pay them to make it!! :

Can GGG put up a Kickstarter project for a native Linux port and see how it goes?
Last edited by DoblyTufnell on Apr 5, 2013, 5:26:33 AM
Kubuntu
+1 for Linux Kickstarter
I guess a head count is still going on. I would probably be in for a kickstarter.

Linux Mint 14 Nadia
I'd rather they spent time on adding poll support to the forum.

lol, the numbering in this thread is waaaay bonkers and a proper poll would help.

I would also support a linux client. OR increasing Wine compatibility.
Brutus. Do you even sync?
Last edited by AnnanFay on Apr 7, 2013, 2:40:47 AM
I'm a bit conflicted... on the one hand, a really nice Linux-native client would be good; on the other hand, the only really nice Linux-native games I can think of have been made by devs like Id Software that like to develop cross-platform from the beginning. The last Linux port of a Windows game that I've played was the Linux port of Torchlight 1, and.. uh.. that wasn't the best. It's playable, but six months after release it still has the same bugs it had two weeks after release, which is somewhat disappointing.

Meanwhile, the Windows version of PoE works rather nicely under Wine, and if making an officially-supported Linux port would prevent GGG from working on the kinds of graphics performance and netcode issues that currently affect both Windows and Wine, I think that would be more trouble than it's worth.
Hate to admit it, but this game prompted me to setup a dual boot with Win7 so I could play PoE the way nature intended.

I had previously had it running in Wine on Ubuntu 12.10 and the ATI catalyst 13.2 (I think) drivers. It ran at a pretty solid 30 fps, but got pretty choppy in busy fight scenes. Especially when running with a couple of mates.

Not only that but my Xonar DG sound card sounds lots better in Windows. Worked Ok in Ubuntu but the Windows drivers make it rock and roll.

I'd still pay for a Linux port of the game however. Having to restart my pc to load Windows feels dirty. :)

PoE runs just fine on my Win8Pro desktop, but I am hating using Windows.

At current, trying to run PoE on Kubuntu 12.04 64bit and I get an error which does allow the game to even start. So, a native Linux client would be simply amazing!
Archer here, pun intended.

Kickstarting the port would be awesome.
Linux is the way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info