Hostility on Global Chat

There's enough on the forums to suggest prices. Doesn't mean we need to ask the ratio of such and such to such and such. I see that so many times. Really annoying, and I don't even trade. If I ever did...I'd check the forums.
IGN: redeux
"
Charan wrote:
One large problem is that the forum community and the in-game community are two very different beasts.

If we say that 90% of people who play a game will either visit a forum rarely or not post more than once or twice, the forum user-base may vastly differentiate from the actual player-base. Rarely do forums reflect upon a games actual player-base.

What truly annoys me is those people who show their disdain whenever another who thinks differently or seems to be complaining, when in-fact they could start a civil discussion without being condescending about the issue at hand. Often I see such discussions but a lot of the time there is one guy who acts like an idiot and other times nobody seems interested. Unfortunately there is no way to fix them.
Last edited by thenile12 on Aug 11, 2012, 9:36:04 AM
"
pretty stupid here sorry. if a person ask a question and you think its stupid why answer then? just ignore it and move on. your not god here so chill out

If you think my tips are stupid, then why respond? It's almost a if you felt obliged to weigh in on something you could quite easily ignore. Amazing! Thank you for quite elegantly summing up the problems.

The hostility is not a result of more trolls, the hostility is the result of an increase in the idiotic behaviour i outlined earlier, which incites upstanding chatizens such as myself to froth at the mouth and rip the offenders limb from limb.

On your second point; well, you're entitled to that opinion.
Last edited by RavenousRaven on Aug 11, 2012, 12:29:46 PM
I recommend to people I know starting the game to turn off global chat until they leave the first difficulty and to ask people they know are friendly for advice instead of using the forums.
Ancient and unwise, SSF only since 2012
This game community is mostly made of Diablo 3 haters, so these people are haters and whiners, no wonder why they are hostile on general chat.
"
thenile12 wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
One large problem is that the forum community and the in-game community are two very different beasts.

If we say that 90% of people who play a game will either visit a forum rarely or not post more than once or twice, the forum user-base may vastly differentiate from the actual player-base. Rarely do forums reflect upon a games actual player-base.

What truly annoys me is those people who show their disdain whenever another who thinks differently or seems to be complaining, when in-fact they could start a civil discussion without being condescending about the issue at hand. Often I see such discussions but a lot of the time there is one guy who acts like an idiot and other times nobody seems interested. Unfortunately there is no way to fix them.

This, god this. The community is atrocious. It's too full of nerdy elitist fanboys who can't take any form of criticism to the game or anything in general. Any time anyone says something against their opinion they're flamed out of global chat and told to go back to D3.
Last edited by muccmaster on Aug 11, 2012, 1:17:01 PM
Most of you guys are pretty ignorant and butthurt.
At the time i startet to play i discovered that general chat is really friendly and there are always People who help you. So if youre a Noob why wouldt you ask a question if you would get a nice and fast answer from a friendly community.
What do you want Global chat for Game related chit chat about stuff YOU think its worth talking about.
I can only speak for me, but the community in Global chat is one of the reasons i continued playing this game.
You arent and will never decide what is posted in General Chat cause General Chat is General chat. Also you dont have to decide what items are good and what are crap items.
People will always ask noob question, will post crap items and complain about this and that.
You seem to never played an MMO of anykind before.

Get over it.
Sorry for my bad english.
The community is everyone's responsibility. If you don't like global chat or are in a solitary mood, feel free to silently hide it and go about your business.

I've always made a conscious effort to answer legitimate questions truthfully, no matter how repetitive or noobish, and help people get better at understanding the game whenever I can. As a result, chat tends to improve immediately (and I've noticed a similar effect when Charan is in chat, and a few other people). It doesn't demean me any while I'm in faffing about in <difficulty> Fellshrine to throw a few words of wisdom from the Mechanics thread into global chat.

Obvious trolls and/or lazy assholes ('d3 is better', 'this game sucks', 'everyone in this chat is butthurt', 'fuck you kid, you suck at this game', 'your items are crap and you should feel bad', etc.) are easy to /ignore, and a trade channel should fix the item and trade ratio spamming soon enough.

Global chat is far from a lost cause, and is much better than most games. It's always possible to make it just a little bit nicer and just a little bit more informative. The glass is half-full, after all.
"
Lockenheada wrote:
Most of you guys are pretty ignorant and butthurt.
At the time i startet to play i discovered that general chat is really friendly and there are always People who help you. So if youre a Noob why wouldt you ask a question if you would get a nice and fast answer from a friendly community.
What do you want Global chat for Game related chit chat about stuff YOU think its worth talking about.
I can only speak for me, but the community in Global chat is one of the reasons i continued playing this game.
You arent and will never decide what is posted in General Chat cause General Chat is General chat. Also you dont have to decide what items are good and what are crap items.
People will always ask noob question, will post crap items and complain about this and that.
You seem to never played an MMO of anykind before.

Get over it.
Sorry for my bad english.

Is 'bad english' your excuse/reason for this hostile tone?

Also, I bolded the part of your post that isn't always going to be the case. There will be in-game moderation and what 'is posted and what isn't posted' will very much be decided by those in-game moderators, who will have the ability to mute players.

People WILL always ask questions, and they will always post crap items and complain. That is NOT what this topic is about, however -- even if the OP used those as the starting point. 'Hostility' is the issue and rather ironically, you've been hostile in your reply, not to mention somewhat irrelevant.

When there is moderation, it won't be to deal with people asking newbie questions, or people trying to trade (unless they're doing it in the wrong channel), or even people who give 'smart' answers -- it'll be to deal with people who use any of these as an excuse to directly and abusively target people for ridicule and mockery. I do know the difference between a smartarse response and a personal attack, although it may vary for different people, and that'll be up to the in-game moderators to deal with as well.

__

@pneuma: I've sort of slackened off a bit there, combination of life stuff, forum duties and actually playing the game. The recent population explosion has left GC reeling. We really need a more appropriate chat system, but it's folly to think Chris and the GGGang aren't aware of that acutely. Let 'em finish act 3 etc first.

Then we'll get to work on the community. Because until this game is truly Open, we have no real idea of what the community is going to be like. Oh, there are some hints...but nothing is certain yet.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 11, 2012, 3:58:36 PM
Instead of having a /vote mute system, I propose a we have a /vote disemvowel system.
HAIL SATAN!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info