Question....

"
Rhesos wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
There will be trade NPCs that deal with currency items and we intend to have them offer something for any item you bring them. This part is still under development.

Nice to hear... Will be quite tough to balance i can imagine...

@Tertium_Quid: I don't think of getting something with value for something without any value, more the way getting something which is useful for something that isn't useful for you anymore or was never useful for you. I just think that some kind of npc trading system for low value items would be nice because i always thought that such trades between players are too time consuming (in comparison to the outcome) and boring... That's just my opinion!

I think having a vender who can trade low level items is a great idea. I also think it would be cool if the vender can deny some items from even being acceptable to offer (like the planks of wood) it would add some realism to the mechanic.

Also, thanks to everyone for answering some of my earlier concerns. With few exceptions, the community for this game is one of the best I've come across. Although, sadly, that often changes after the game is released for some reason.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Also, thanks to everyone for answering some of my earlier concerns. With few exceptions, the community for this game is one of the best I've come across. Although, sadly, that often changes after the game is released for some reason.

Wittgenstein, the reason communities often change is that once they get to play what they have been looking forward too they either like or dislike it. Either way neither group is likely to make as many posts as they did before the game came out, as they will be preoccupied playing or looking for another game to play... It is no ones fault, this is part of human nature: to always look for the next best thing, whether it is equipment or some other thing to fend off their boredom.
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2171378

Not sure if you guys heard of this, but it shows if you're a good enough trader you can conterminously trade up till you can get very high level equipment. Even though its in real life i think the concept applies to virtual goods as well because we all know virtual goods can cost a lot of money...cough blizzard.
Yes good sir, I enjoy slaying mythical creatures.
"
Tertium_Quid wrote:
"

Wittgenstein, the reason communities often change is that once they get to play what they have been looking forward too they either like or dislike it. Either way neither group is likely to make as many posts as they did before the game came out, as they will be preoccupied playing or looking for another game to play... It is no ones fault, this is part of human nature: to always look for the next best thing, whether it is equipment or some other thing to fend off their boredom.

Yeah, I meant more along the lines of "I don't know why this has to be the case with every game I play. People should get over themselves and not complain so much about every little thing they dont like as if the developers made this game for you personally." But thanks for the response anyways!

The worst I've seen a came community break down was over BorderLands. Pre-game was awesome. Post-launch was nothing but complaining.
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
The worst I've seen a came community break down was over BorderLands. Pre-game was awesome. Post-launch was nothing but complaining.

I thought borderlands had like 5 DLC packs?
Yes good sir, I enjoy slaying mythical creatures.
yeah there are 4 dlc's
all of which are in the game of the year addition for free
(which is pretty sweet)
Yes, BL had a lot of expansions. However, the player base did nothing but find reasons to complain about everything that was in all 5 expansions.

-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Chris wrote:
There will be trade NPCs that deal with currency items and we intend to have them offer something for any item you bring them. This part is still under development.
Interesting. Some random thoughts:
* The more useless items that can be converted into currency, the greater the rate of inflation.
* could negate the "increased farming difficulty" aspect of the gold-less economy (get all items, trade for x)
* The most valuable/most universally useful thing that can be obtained in this way will become the de facto gold standard, unless it is so readily available that it is also worthless.

It might be worth considering offering only non-tradable items or services in exchange for junk items, if you want to offer something of value. Possible services:
-Whetstone in NPC form
-Health/energy refill NPC
-Storyteller NPC (possibly with embedded hints for finding treasure)
-Potion refills
-Gambling mini-game (poker or 3 shells or whatever), item given to NPC is wager
-etc.

I guess by doing that you'd kind of re-invent gold sinks though, just called "junk item sinks" instead. Bah! Economics, who needs it?

I guess in a system with unlimited resources (loot), where nothing ever wears out or becomes obsolete, inflation is pretty much inevitable.
New question! I tried looking for an answer to this elseware but couldnt. I assume that the beta won't be started until all the class's are unveiled. However, the beta is supposed to start early this year. So, either the beta will start without all 6 class's or else all 6 class's are finished but not yet unveiled. Anyone know which is which? Thanks.
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Malice wrote:
* The more useless items that can be converted into currency, the greater the rate of inflation. * could negate the "increased farming difficulty" aspect of the gold-less economy (get all items, trade for x)

Unless useless items are converted into the lowest tier currency(ies). And remember, the game is designed to encourage players to use the currencies on themselves, possibly at a higher rate than trading them.

"
Malice wrote:
* The most valuable/most universally useful thing that can be obtained in this way will become the de facto gold standard, unless it is so readily available that it is also worthless.

Each class and player will most likely have a unique set of needs.

"
Malice wrote:
It might be worth considering offering only non-tradable items or services in exchange for junk items, if you want to offer something of value.

That does sound like a fun idea and adds to the realism of the game IMO.

Edit: typos

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info