Random BSODs

Ok, so now I'm getting random shutdowns from PoE. I know my processor isn't overheating, been monitoring it's temps, and I know I've got the graphics set within the capabilities of my card. system specs:

core i5 3.3
geforce gtx 560 mv
8 gigs ram
onboard sound, Asus 38z77-v lx
seagate barracuda 500 Gb, with plenty of room on it

I read some posts where people were having trouble with a given sound card, but I know I'm not using it (no sound card).

Help pls! :-)
In a lot of instances it is the video card drivers at fault.

First you have to look at which number you have on your nvidea desktop, if your running a newer one it's very likely the culprit.

What you have to do to fix it ~ Erase any and all instances of the old drivers from your HD. In every folder!! Reboot.

Re-install and hope that fix's the problem for you. If for whatever reason this doesn't fix your problem Google "how to properly install Nvidia geforce driver sets". There is a long forum post with step by step pictures and explanations.

Good luck.
Oh lovely. I had so hoped it was something possibly complicated and tedious. :-P

Thanks for the response and the advice. I'll go about fiddling with my vid drivers now. Happy hunting.
rule of thumb is BSOD's are usually memory issues

if you can read the DLL on the BSOD screen, if it's your graphics card it'll be like 'nv4_disp.dll'. if it's your RAM, it will say a different dll each time (or at least 2 out of 3 times).

could also be your power supply -- but if it were it would not always BSOD, it would sometimes restart and/or shut down randomly.

also a good idea to run this when you get BSOD's
Start -> Run -> cmd -> chkdsk /f
might have to start "cmd" as admin.. getting alot of BSOD's can eventually cause issues on your hard disk and corrupt your windows install.
Last edited by pilnomi on Aug 3, 2012, 9:44:08 AM
Do you have the BSOD dump file? You could post it and it'll let us more clearly pinpoint the issue.

It's been said I think already but generally BSODs are tied to hardware not software, RAM is a likely culprit. I was getting a lot of BSODs and I "re-seated" my RAM sticks and cleared it right up.

Also make sure all of your hardware is running the current drivers.
Last edited by BLACKKETYL on Aug 3, 2012, 10:26:55 AM
Im just curious for the sake of knowing, where would I find the dump file for the BSOD's?

I use XP but I am switching to Win7 when I am finished building my new computer, so it could pay to know these things.

Cheers!
BSOD can also be frequently linked to a root kit issue. I would be sure to check into this as well.

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

The above link can help with that.

As far as the dmp location, I havent had this issue in a long time, not since moving to Win 7, actually. As such, I am a bit rough on that.

I would first check for C:\Windows\MiniDump

I used to use a program call BlueScreenView, this may help you.
...narf
"
pilnomi wrote:
rule of thumb is BSOD's are usually memory issues

Quoted for truth.
If it's not sound card driver, gpu driver, or unstable overclock, it is more than likely bad ram.
Run Memtest86 on each stick one at a time.
"
pilnomi wrote:
rule of thumb is BSOD's are usually memory issues...

This guy knows what he's talking about.

And "usually" is really like almost always.

The fast path to testing this is either pulling out memory chips until it works, or doing the same in reverse.

It could be a stick or a mobo slot... flip a coin.

Dont havent any bsod or rsod for 12 years so that nice ;) have 35 temp of gpu when playing poe .

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info