Worth of gold/currency

Greetings

today i have a question about the currencysystem in the game.. in many games like diablo etc.. is the currency in the later gameplay not really something worth that means you have billions but you cant use it for anything special.how is the currency in poe taken out of the economic cycle, so what can you spend it for.. i hope there a some systems=) hmm there are some for sure:P
The devs have mentioned that there will be very little gold in game. Players may only receive a few coins in an area. The focus of the economy is more on items than gold.
Forum Sheriff
I find in most online games where trading is possible, the player-base sort of does away with any value that the devs have assigned to gold. They (the players) almost always eliminate currency from the trading scene, and replace them with items.

(i.e In D2 you would trade gems/skulls/runes for items, and gold was nearly worthless and only really used to revive your merc.)
Well, the real reason that Gold has no real value in games like TQ or d2 is that Gold doesn't have enough in-game value to be worth using as trade. There are three major things to look at when you consider making gold valuable.

1. Gold has to drop respectably.

That is, Gold can't just drop all the time and in large quantities. This quickly diminishes the value of Gold, however if balanced right this could be null.

2. You must have enough Gold sinks in the game to give gold a reasonable value.

Gold sinks are those annoying things that people love to hate, but without them Gold wouldn't be worth anything. So if you want a gold economy, you need to have gold sinks.

3. Finally, the goal is to take as much gold out of the economy, that is put into it.

By using enough useful gold sinks, gold will become worthwhile to the player population. If everything costs gold, then guess what, people are going to want gold.

This requires balancing gold drops so that, whatever is collected can reasonably be used up by the player with enough in-game services.
Happy Days Abound.
and still there was the gold finder barb for the gambling game in d2 :)

But of course silver is right: Money sinks are important for such a game!
I agree with the need for sinks. I personally really like to see games actually functioning on the in-game currency so having some currency sinks and low drops would be nice.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
trading with other players will far more be important in the game than gold
"And the timer said let there be light!"
"And there was light, The timer said Let there be thunder, And there was thunder"
"And the timer said LET THERE BE TORTURE STARVATION AND INSOMNIA, and there was all of these things struck down upon.... anyone who gazed upon its deathly figure.."
This discussion is from February 1st and 2nd. Check out the dev diary about how they are using other currencies from February 8th

http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2011-02-08/dev-diary-currency
By not having a single form of currency, that will make it harder for gold spammers to find something to spam about. Granted, I am sure they will find something, but it will be more difficult.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info