Respec system

So today i was talking with some guys on the global chat about the respec system. Many said that they didnt really like it because it didnt have much room for making mistakes.
While we were talking i thought of a new idea for the respec system.

Basicly it involves leveling down. You level down to regain the skill point from the last node you picked. Then you have to level up again to get acces to that skill point and the assign it to whatever node you want it on.
Some said that this could break the game. i don't think thats gonna happen but this is purely hypothetical.

So basicly instead of being limited to a pair of respec points you can theoreticaly start all over again (but making a new character would seem smarter to me) with the only problem being that you have to level up all over again. I think this is a better respec system than the current one and i hope that the devs will read this so they can think about it.
please leave some feedback on this but dont come with posts like "this is shit" because that doesn't help me one bit.
And i dont really see a point for this as why would i want to go trough the level again just because of 1 skill point then i like the current "respec system" but neither the current or your idea leaves room mistakes or changes.

Your option if a player makes a mistake he must decrease in level to change that skill point just to gain that level all over again?
So if a person where to change some Skills further down he would have to decrease hes level a lot and maybe ending up lvl 1 with hes character?

Atleast with Respec points it gives more room for mistakes than your idea i think, you gain these points in quests and trough Orb of Regret, where the only downside is the limited amount of Respec points you gain trough Quests and the price of Regrets.
As Xelef pointed out, you get respec points through some quests, and you can always trade for orbs of regret.

Personally, I think it would be really neat if you could respec at the end of every act (or maybe just at the end of normal), but I know a lot people will disagree with me on that.
The respec system is fine as it is imo. Do you really want a shallow easily changeable character that anyone can copy within a few hours or one that will actually represent your identity?

Current system even encourages trade in which people who want to respec will trade with those who are comfortable with their build.
This is a variation on my experience penalty suggestion.

Yet another variant would be like the advancements system in EverQuest 2 : you switch your exp gain between levelling and "training". When training you don't level but you're grinding for refund points.

They're all somewhat unsatisfying/unoriginal solutions.

But I hear you... I still haven't respecced my Default League Ranger. I just can't be bothered to restart a char atm, I just want to play the new Maps. So I've tested one build in Legacy, and now I'm going OCD with the passive tree and not playing the game yet.
I understand all of the posts but it doesn't allow easily chaneable characters because youll have to regain all the levels that you want to do over again and you'll have to make sure you can still use your gems and gear.
Also my respeccing idea allows for much more room for mistakes as you can technicly go all the way back to level 1 (i dont see why youd do that but eh) and make a whole new char.

And as a final note @ DeF46 i think my idea is good but i think your idea is better because it still gives the orbs of regret function.

This doesn't say that i think that my idea should just be gone with i still think it's a viable option and i thank all of you for the feedback. This is a one man idea so getting more people into it will allow the idea to develop
I still hope that GGG will see this thread and consider this an option just like def46's.
The current respeccing system is excellent and the more you play this game the more you will understand why.

I can understand that new players that dont feel like their first character is killing "fast enough" or is "tanky enough" and want to switch around but really the first 12 levels takes like 2 hours. Just make a new char

I say new char because your characters gets like forged with the decisions of passives, gear and skill gems you have so even if you get a full wipe and say level 40 its really hard to make a new build. Honestly I think anything that makes respeccing easier will actually make the game harder because changing around passives with no gear/skills to support it will just not work.

And ofcourse it will be boring when you tried all combinations...

Thats my experience since I started the closed beta 2010
Last edited by devmoon on Jul 25, 2012, 8:12:58 PM
"
devmoon wrote:
The current respeccing system is excellent and the more you play this game the more you will understand why.

I can understand that new players that dont feel like their first character is killing "fast enough" or is "tanky enough" and want to switch around but really the first 12 levels takes like 2 hours. Just make a new char

I say new char because your characters gets like forged with the decisions of passives, gear and skill gems you have so even if you get a full wipe and say level 40 its really hard to make a new build. Honestly I think anything that makes respeccing easier will actually make the game harder because changing around passives with no gear/skills to support it will just not work.

And ofcourse it will be boring when you tried all combinations...

Thats my experience since I started the closed beta 2010

fair enough i can understand your reasoning and the way you think about it made me realise that you're right so ill agree with just sticking to the current respeccing system
I rerolled 3 characters so far, highest was lvl 30 templar. Now i am a ~50 Marauder and it finally pays off, as i enjoy playing through in a particular way now, which i didn't find before.

You might undergo pain, disappointment, joy, expectations like high hopes on certain passive skills and what not by playing your first characters until you find what you are looking for, if you are at all...

And that process gets more complex while testing out certain unique items and trying to adjust them to a smart skillbuild, but then you might have stored away enough orbs of regrets xD:

It's like life in many ways
There are a few differing ways to get repsec points. And honestly, I would suggest you try the orbs before using points gained via quests.

My only reason for this is that you will find members with a large stock of the orbs, that simply have no use for them, and trade them quite cheaply. Myself included.

While I am currently out of orbs after my most recent trade, I am sure I will gain more. If you ever see me in game, and are in need, please feel free to ask.

My most recent trade was 10 orbs of regret for a single orb of alchemy. I have numerous others trade regret rather cheaply as well, as we have simply never had a need for them.

That said, I know GGG is trying to keep their plans for their Shop purely aesthetic, but I would like to see Orbs of Regret added on a per orb basis, for a reasonable but stern price.

Regret is the one orb in the game that will not have a significant impact being sold for cash, provided you can not purchase a straight up"full respec" and prices are kept at a stern enough rate that it simply will not be worth the cash to abuse it.
...narf

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info