How is a tank supposed to beat the Oversoul?

I got the 1k3 hp, 90 life/s, and 900 dps lightning strike on my marauder currently at lvl 46, already at merciless

really 300 dps is just suck man, I got that dps at lvl 20
IGN : Hungryneko
"
0nin wrote:
You guys want some more context?

After killing him eventually, I went on to Merciless. Hillock killed himself on my Templar Shield while I stood there smiling. Hailrake couldn't bring my hp below 50%. The Totem boss in the Ledge couldn't scratch me, and he's also a spellcaster.

GEAR IS NOT THE ISSUE.

Hillock on Merciless is not supposed to be more difficult... he has far fewer tricks and is generally less powerful.

That said, as always goes with these threads, you need to post your entire build:

-all items used
-passive tree
-your level
-your total derived stats that are relevant to your build

unless people post their entire builds, you are going to get only two things:

-people telling you how they do it (ie. change build)
-people guessing that your build is flawed
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Act1 is a breeze at any difficulty so it doesn't mean anything.
you admit that you're able to kill him, but it takes too long for your liking.

You want all bosses to be ezmode d1 style encounters, like the ones in act 1? Oversoul is a refreshing change.

I have an alternative solution to this perceived imbalance. Make the other encounters more mechanically complicated, like oversoul. That should level things out.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Jul 24, 2012, 12:59:33 PM
Just accept that all builds should have there weaknesses, and it seems like you found yours.
"
Zakaluka wrote:
You want all bosses to be ezmode d1 style encounters, like the ones in act 1? Oversoul is a refreshing change.
I expect a specialization in survivability, as opposed to damage, to not be completely gimped against this encounter. I'm fine with him being more difficult than Merveil, she's a complete breeze with this build. I'm not fine with the difference in difficulty being so immense.
I find Whirling Blades to work great against that boss. Makes it easier to get in and out quick when you know its about to start doing all that craziness that it does.
"
0nin wrote:

Almost all of his abilities stop you from hitting him. Gotta run from the laser, gotta run from the explosion thing, gotta run around to kill adds. You're only allowed to DPS the boss when all the adds (or at least the ranged ones) are dead, and when he's busy casting cave-ins or frost patches.

For most builds, that's not an issue. For TANKS, it's a HUGE issue.

I only play quite tanky builds, due to being in hardcore. I believe you are having an issue because of two things.

One: Your gear/weak build as previously said. Just because you can manage an easy, earlier fight, doesn't mean everything should be a cakewalk. 300 dps is what you have around level 20. Actually, my recent ranger had 457 DPS at level 19. Same with the 1k Hitpoints.

You said earlier that shield block is your main tank stat, which will give you a disadvantage against pure spelldamage mobs like this one. At least until you have the proper passives and gear. The earlier fights you mention can have all their damage blocked once you are in melee.

Two: Mobility. Having decent mobility, makes this fight a lot easier. Doesn't matter much what you use, as long as it helps you speed away upon the start of the explosion animation.

This means you can stay in close combat all the time. Shield Charge/Whirl out, then click right back in again, as the explosion will have gone off. He does absolutely no damage in melee when he summons, and use the falling roof abilities. The debris from the roof seldom lands next to him as well. Making it the safest spot to be.

Also Ground slam is a very bad singletarget skill. Viper Strike/Puncture/Heavy Strike/Glacial strike, even Infernal Blow is a better choice for using against bosses. Glacial strike doesn't really do much against the end bosses, though, unless you are specced very heavily into cold damage.

"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
Last edited by jawsofhana on Jul 24, 2012, 2:03:29 PM
Yeah? My level 27 duelist has 2500 dps, 5000 health, is 50 feet tall and shoots lightning bolts out of his ass.
Beat that.
Last edited by Blacknsilver on Jul 24, 2012, 2:15:00 PM
Your point on mobility is sound, it may have been the difference between an incredibly tedious and just a patient, drawn-out fight. I've started using Shield Charge, we'll see in Merciless A2 how much of a difference it really makes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info