How is a tank supposed to beat the Oversoul?

So now I've beaten this guy on cruel, and preparing to face him on ruthless. He is far from unbeatable, as all his abilities are choreographed. Everything happens in a predictable sequence. All you need is enough life and resist to survive 1 energy beam, as getting hit by that is the easiest mistake to make. If you have that, the rocks should be no issue.

There are moments when it's safe to close and melee, moments when you have to kite his attacks. And the ice mechanic makes positioning fairly important. In essence no more difficult than brutus, just more to know.

Approach the fight with some patience, be ready for it to last 5 minutes. Slow down, go back and spend some time with him on normal just kiting his attacks and learning how to spot the mallet.

Oh and as someone else said, dealing with the summons comes down to having shield bash. Should be your go-to as a tank anyway for dealing with snipers and stragglers, yes?

I only play HC.

Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Jul 24, 2012, 11:11:33 AM
I believe that most of his attacks do elemental damage (lightning for the laser, fire for the slam), meaning that armour won't do you much good in this fight. Try getting some lightning and fire resist gear. Also, 1185 health is really low for a tank. My spellcaster witch has almost 900 and is in act 2 cruel.
"
0nin wrote:
My single-target Glacial Hammer does 300 DPS. It also makes me more susceptible to the explosion. It doesn't help.

Ok, this means that your gear is seriously messed up. I do more than that at half your level (with glacial hammer) and I've been doing exclusively shield block rate passives. You need WAY better items than that. I've just been using rare 1H's that I find - nothing special.
Last edited by RegulusX on Jul 24, 2012, 11:39:36 AM
Either you picked up Catalyze or you have a bunch of support gems attached to it. I don't, because I have all my mana reserved on auras and am using Blood Magic supports on GH. I don't want it to tax 50 mana per hit, so I'm bare minimum on the support gems there.
1185 hp at lvl49 is no tank. Thread over.

I get more hp than this when I make a ranged character...
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Jul 24, 2012, 12:15:58 PM
Ugh. Gotta love it when the thread is suddenly about how much you suck and nothing else matters.

THE ISSUE IS NOT THAT I CANNOT SURVIVE. THE ISSUE IS THAT THE ACT OF SURVIVING CAUSES SO MUCH DPS DOWNTIME THAT ANY LOW-DPS BUILD SPENDS AN ETERNITY KILLING HIM. THIS UNLIKE ANY OTHER BOSS IN THE GAME, WHERE HIGH SURVIVABILITY REDUCES YOUR DPS DOWNTIME, WHICH MAKES UP FOR YOUR INNATELY LOWER DPS.

Clearer?
Hey, it's clearly your fault for not being decked out in uniques/rares with perfect stats.
/sarcasm
Last edited by Blacknsilver on Jul 24, 2012, 12:29:22 PM
I think this may be just a gear issue. You may be right at the wall where your gear being outdated has suddenly become a problem, where before you were able to get by with it. Without seeing your gear and build, there's no way to say for sure, but your life does seem rather low for being a highly-defensive character at that part of the game.

Regardless, I don't think any character will be able to be so tanky that he can whittle down such a boss with an extremely low-damage skill without it being highly challenging.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
so it's not about being able to defeat him, it's that he's no longer an efficient way for you to farm?

Farm the chest area off rivers & streams maybe? 11b allows map drops in that area as well now, I believe.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
You guys want some more context?

After killing him eventually, I went on to Merciless. Hillock killed himself on my Templar Shield while I stood there smiling. Hailrake couldn't bring my hp below 50%. The Totem boss in the Ledge couldn't scratch me, and he's also a spellcaster.

GEAR IS NOT THE ISSUE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info