Results for Aug20 4 hour competition!

Too bad i don't know anyone so i have 0 chance of receiving some beta keys.

By the way, for the next time, maybe was better to gave the keys to someone that aren't already playing..
"
evilandrex wrote:
Here's a part of my log book I would like to share with everyone detailing my observation on Manoka's and my way through this event.
"

8/19/2011
-I'm writing this part from a mobile device, sorry for any problems.
-GOT 4TH IN LADDER RACE!!!!

-Played a Shock Nova witch duo'd with Manoka who was a Shock Nova Templar.

*we have practiced our duo for two days. trying out multiple different strategy but it was always a tank + witch. The strategy that we decided to use was something we didnt practice. I was skeptical at first but from a duo stand point, it was brilliant. You had the raw power of witch then you have the hybridized tanking power house of the Templar.
*With this combination, not only did we had no troubles with single bosses (which is why we decided against double witch) we could also create a lovely dead pile of bodies around us.
*The main strategy was to kill many monsters higher level than us as fast as possible. This was done in one of two ways.
*The first way I'll name the ball. It called for a combined spam of ice nova and shock nova while the both of us were very close together. This simply abused the fact that both of us have heavy amounts of aoe damage. We would kill all the monsters running towards us without ever needing to actually take damage.
*The combination of the two skills is what made this strategy truly powerful. Ice nova could cover for the weakness of Shock nova while Shock Nova covered the weakness of Ice nova. Shock nova would take apart weaker enemies attempting to get to us. then the monsters that do reach us will get frozen and still take a considerable amount of damage because of shock.
*Our second method involved the templar's superior power to tank. The templar would take the lead and get the attention of the monsters while I would try to maximize the damage output of my shock nova keeping them at a distance. This would involve much kiting on my part but once again Ice Nova helps with my need to need to move away from the enemies.
*In an act of pure genius my partner specced into getting power charges. From what I heard of him requesting me to use ice nova more often I assume it had to do with shattering enemies. From my perspective his character got turned into more of a support caster. Rather than the pure damage I was specced into he had more conditional damage.
*Double nova was the core build but we had a couple of other skills to act as utilities or bridging points. For me these skills were: Ice Pulse ; this was my early game power, it was continually spammed until I obtained shock nova, Cold Snap ; this was taken as a long range disable to deal with pesky ranged monsters slightly out of reach of our other skills.
*From my observations of my partner he used nearly the same skills but in a different manner. Ice Pulse; once again a bridging skill but also a boss killer. The skills superior disabling and damaging capabilities made it an obvious choice. this was chosen over ice spear because of its superior power earlier in the game because of its bridging capabilities, Shield Charge?; Manoka had picked up this skill purely for utility he could get in front of me and to different locations faster.
*I do not know how Manoka's skill tree looks other than knowing that he gained power charges.
*My own skill tree was based on pure damage. Starting from the left choice of blue I went up and grabbed the elemental damage plus the electrical damage bonus. Then ignoring everything up ahead and took the most direct way up to the electrical part of the web. Incidentally along the way there were quite useful things there especially the energy shield stuff. In the Electric tree, I tried to take evertything that wasnt Shock weapon damage and resist self shock. Generally everything there was useful considering the nature of shock.
*Our equipment was beautifully set up. None of our equipment (other than potions) were needed to be shared. Both of us were looking for different things. He looked for armor. Because he was a templar he could wear all of the heavy armor giving him heavy amounts of tanking power. he had a shield to further increase his tanking power and then I think either a dagger or wand for more damage. His role was to soak damage and be a conditional damage dealer. This set of equipment helped him do that.
*What I needed was survivability and continual pure damage output. This was achieved by collecting only energy shield armor. Energy Shield allowed me to constantly cast spells even when being damaged. This allowed the kill strategy "The Ball" to work out better. I picked up wand and focus for the obvious reasons.
*Our strategy was practiced and simple. It involved multiple check points and quick thinking.
*Hillocks had to be done solo. The idea was to kill just enough to reach level 2 after killing hillock. It involved running at hillock killing things along the way. For me as a witch it required me to kill the rock spiiter that could jeopardize my life.
*We killed things when they begun to mob up as we run past them. With our powerful aoe damage this was the most effective way. We did not clear any areas just enough to finish quests and be on the same level as the monsters. When we were the same level as the monsters we moved area to maximize xp.
*We actually started out as a group of 4 but we quickly found that our new found members were holding us down. We immediately split out of the group and back to our duo. I'm not sure if 2 people is the sweet spot or simply because they were unpracticed.
*We kept killing without stop until our first check point, Brutus. After killing, looting the chest, and reaching the waypoint outside we returned to town to collect our rewards from all previous quest. This should put us right at level 10. Starting our shock novas.
*Our next checkpoint was forest encampment. We skipped the award for Merveil because I already got a Cold Snap gem from drop but this is where we could've gone back and get it.
*Our kill order for the bosses here were Alira, the Bandit, then Oak. Between Bandit and Oak we dropped by at thicket to take the major exp there because of the easy monsters. We kept our levels below the monsters we were fighting continually to maximize xp.
*Rinse and repeat in cruel. We made it nearly to merciless as level 30 in 4 hours.
*The biggest bug we encountered was that I didn't know my partner crashed going into cruel and thought I had to kill hillock solo. I went ahead and did so but to find out I have bugged the instance for him and he was stuck outside. We had to reset the section to get him through.
*Our crash problems was mainly countered by a practiced way of regrouping. If either of us crashed the remaining player would wait for the party to reform then create a portal for the other to use never stopping killing monsters.
*I truly believe better players using our build could do better than duo witch that beat us.

In the end it was a good and fun race. But it was intense, so intense I dont think I would do it again. Too much for a newbie APRG player like me. Good Night.

I normally don't quote walls of text like this but I just want to say that was an excellent write-up and I want others to see it.

The strategy you both worked with was elegant and sound. Thanks for posting that. :)
YOUはSHOCK!
Selvarajah - Lv30 2H Marauder
Last edited by JasonRyanAU on Aug 20, 2011, 9:23:39 AM
"
Kaotus wrote:
thanks chris! What'd you think of the stream?

damn why did i go to sleep xD
me gusta
Wow.... seriously... Keys for gloating folks who are already in.... Nice...
My cousin finished 11th trying to get a beta key for me lol. His comp crashed but he still went hard haha
"
Slicer wrote:
Yes, it was Shock Nova.

Draeg and I planned our builds in advance and did a dry-run. He went endurance-charging, Frost Nova Tankwitch, I went shocker.

Both of us started out with one point in improved movement speed. The reason should be obvious.

I went through the lit tree to get power charges. In retrospect, the power charge thing might not have been the best of ideas. Even though I got "power charge on kill shocked" and "power charge on crit", those two things didn't happen enough for it to be worth all the points- although it was awesome while it was active, it would have probably been more efficient if I had just tossed the points into cast speed and lit damage.

And now, if you'll excuse me, my head is going to explode.

Yeah, I went to the conclusion power charge wouldn't be good in a 4 hours race because you won't have enough crit to make it efficient.
I myself rushed the 7+4+4+4 movement speed at start and it was pretty good.

Ok so I'll try to explain how I did one of my biggest failure in video games haha.
First, it was obviously better to play a duo nova thing, but I would try solo, I did practice for solo, and I would see how I'd do. Seeing as how Hartlin came 5th finally, it couldn't be so bad I think, but I'll never now how it would have gone to the end.

Basically, I fell asleep around 6:30 am, I was playing bad because I was tired and anyway I had so many crashes / desync that I died like 10 times in those 2h20, resulting in me being 20 min late from my practice (and since I did some things better, I should have been better than my practice, but no luck + mass crashes isn't so great.)
When I stoped, I was level 19 and around 11th or 12th ladder wise. It wasn't so good, really. With my practice performance I would have been right behind Slicer and Draege for the 20th level (around 1h50 played), but I don't know what a Solo templar can do against those who abuse the dual nova thing with the new 75% bonus xo).

I know noone cares, but well :

I played a cold templar with Freezing Pulse, put all the first point in movement speed 7+4+4+4, then went to cold damage (the big one).
As they said, I didn't return to town before brutus (or I shouldnt).
The good thing with playing templar is shield charge, so I just rushed the whole rocky climb / prison thing (and I ended up diing 3 times in prison level 2 because of desync (ok I'm safe. Oh no I'm stuck in a wall. I'm safe again. Ok I'm stuck in the same wall. I'm dead. Of course if you're playing duo, you won't die and lose 2-3 min each time)).
After Brutus, I just ran and Freezin pulsed everything, and killed Merveil at lvl 10 solo (it was actually real quick, you just open up a portal so you can suicide run her when you're out of potion, took me only 1 death abusing the AI of the second form)

Act 2 : I killed almost nothing and run to the 2 bosses. Experience in act2 is far superior at experience in act1, so even when you kill almost nothing (and you'll die on archer sometimes, thats normal) you still manage to be around 13 when you finish both quests.
Then I shield chargeed / phase ran through all of cath of bones, pool and streams, and started grinding thicket.
At this point, due to all the crashes and lag deaths I had, I was like 3 level below the 10th. After 30 min of thicket, I was only 4000 experience behing the 10th.

Now you have to understand that anyway Cruel is hard for a single player and I guess dual nova will own monsters easily, but I still think I would have a chance at top10 farming ledge / thicket in cruel.
But anyway I was like dead tired, I almost fell asleep on my keyboard, so I messaged Draege to congratulate him and I went into my bed with a sad face haha.

So, I didnt even try to finish the race, I'm bad. GG =)
Last edited by Utukku on Aug 20, 2011, 10:44:51 AM
I can't believe there's actually people complaining about the beta key prizes. It's not like the people who win the beta keys are going to hoard them. They're still going out to people who don't have access to the game. >_>
http://i.imgur.com/s570b.png
Wish i could win one for my friend. Had so much lag and walk back that it was unplayable for me.

Also i made the mistake to roll a marauder instead of a witch.

Was not my night!

Good job to winners.
"You Cant Tame The Beast"

Last edited by Bee on Aug 20, 2011, 11:31:48 AM
Hi, how about one key for me? I would like to help... i´m waiting for so long days for one key. (December 2010)

I thank u all so much for sending me one!
Last edited by xmagro on Aug 20, 2011, 11:39:54 AM
The thing with power charge on crit/kill shocked (and monsters get shocked on crits) is that power charge, itself, increases crit.

So it's the first power charge that takes a bit of luck to happen, and then the next four are much easier.

Of course, with all the sheer spamming of Shock Nova I was doing, it was inevitable that I'd get more than a few crits.

And I had the "share power charges" thing. I think a party based around that could dominate an eight-hour ladder.
NotSorry: Bot d3 for cash, play POE all day

CaptainBurns: The game is just a means by which to kill things.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info