ZiggyD's Pure Burn Damage Searing Bond Fire Trap Templar

G'day! I've been working on this one since Searing Bond came out, my main goal to see how far I could push the skill and how good a build that focused on purely burning damage could be.

VIDEO GUIDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxSgUA9krzY

I take no other offensive passives besides the Pyromaniac cluster. Everything else is either utility (dual curse, totem range, minion instability, eldritch battery) or survivability. That said DPS is still pretty good, good enough at least. Searing Bond does about 1.3k dps per beam at level 18 (16+2). Hopefully that will be close to 2k per bean at level 22. Fire Trap is better than Searing Bond, and they both stack with each other and minion instability ignites (which is ~1k total DoT)

Skills Used:

- Fire Trap (Increased AoE & Increased Burning Damage)

- Searing Bond (Increased Burning Damage)

- Zombies (Chance to Ignite, Minion Life, Fire Penetration, Elemental Proliferation)

- Elemental Weakness

- Flammability

- Ice Shield

- Purity, Clarity, Discipline, Determination

Also plan to add in Vulnerability later when I can get some windscream boots (with better other gear to offset).

Passive Skill Tree:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAP0CcQSzBVsMfRB_EmkTWxRNFLAXHBdQGS4ZhRo4GmwkqiWvJ-0qmCynNuk5UjowOtg8BTwtPydI50wtTdhObVRJVcZV1lgHWfNaK18_ZOdmnm6qcXl6uIFvgh6DOIuMjHaPRpBVm6Gdrp48n9-iAKPypwinhKyYrKquk7c-uJO53bw3wBrE9saexq7MvM9l0NDUFdSP2Qva3dsL42rnUudj7DjvDu988i_yRfPd99f60v4K

Eldritch battery is optional, I like the flexibility but if I were still in HC I may stick with the ES for a good while longer. I was... uh... 'transferred' to default thanks to some Act 2 suicide mobs.

Required Gear:

- Any level 13 Searing Touch staff, preferably 3 link.

- Later, a 4, 5 or 6L searing touch.

- Some rings, ammys or gloves with DEX (approx 110 should be enough total on your character sheet).

- Defensive AR/ES or AR gear

MO:

- Throw Fire trap > dual curse > explodes and mobs burn down.

- (when tri curse) throw fire trap > dual ele weakness and flammability > trap explodes > vulnerability.

- Searing bond on top of elites and stand either on top of them (max damage) or a ways behind them (2 beams).

- Searing bond totem in doorways or rooms, fire trap > dual curse.

- summon zombies in your free time.

This build was amazing fun to level and still feels pretty good in end game maps. It farms well and works okay with most groups. IMO the fire trap explosion + conc effect + ele proliferation setup a lot of people use is probably stronger overall but it was good to see how far I could push pure burn damage as an offensive option.

Feel free to ask me anything I might have missed!
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
YouTube.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
Twitter.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
PoE and Strategy Gaming Content
Last edited by ZiggyD on May 13, 2013, 1:45:06 AM
Hey man enjoy your vids I'm really considering trying this looks great fun

Forgot to mention try out gmp fp with leech / ele equil debuff ur mobs another 50^
Last edited by kilikai on May 20, 2013, 11:23:01 AM
hey ziggy im trying out a different sorta burn build using cold snap and cold to fire and i was wondering which curse gives you the most damage. flammability is what i have been using for the ignite and i was wondering your opinion of the lowered fire resistences versus vulnerability being multiplicative.

on a side note watched your youtube vid for this and im def relooking at some of my other skill setups. thanks
@Armenhammers
Isn't casting two totems a little slow without any cast speed nodes/fc support?
I'm hoping that faster casting helps with totem cast speed as I plan using that at some point. Looking for an answer on this as well. Assuming yes, but since searing bond has some funky differences it's worth asking.

I can't seem to get much info on whether monsters close to the totem do burn or just have a chance to be burned when close.

I'm sure the difficulty will scale, but last night I stopped at level 25 and things were going almost too well. With ancestral bond and a 5 socket searing touch, I'm facerolling my way to vaal. Toss a trap, throw up totems, trap explodes, stand on trap and make a mini triangle. Nothing gets close enough to touch you.

This is pretty damn fun. When I get home from work, I'll test to see if the bond lasts if I use a skill like whirling blades or leap slam for maneuverability. Just for the lulz.
ign defnob
Thanks so much for this build ziggy, I am a newer player in PoE and this is the first build I have played with no problems with progress. I have tried others and hit a gear wall and just found it very hard to advance but not with this build. I am currently in Act 2 merciless and loving every minute of it. To anyone thinking of trying this build just pick up a 4L or more searing touch staff and don't look back.
Am I missing something? Why chance to ignite/fire pen on a zombie that has no fire abilities.....did you mean to have added fire dmg in there?
"
Consequence wrote:
Am I missing something? Why chance to ignite/fire pen on a zombie that has no fire abilities.....did you mean to have added fire dmg in there?

Minion Instability causes the zombies to explode in fire when they reach 33% life. So buffing fire on them helps that explosion damage, which is why he got the zombies in the first place.
the points from the passive tree are gone is it just me? started this build and now i dont know where to go
This tree needs updated badly...I really want to do this soon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info