when sound is turned off....

when both volume levels are turned all the way down does it free the CPU cycles?

or is my CPU still processing the sound?

Last edited by vapor on Jul 6, 2012, 1:49:42 PM
?
bump....

Im going to assume no, but I guess I can't be 100%. Bur simpply sliding the volume down, imo, wont do anything for processing.
The answer is 42.
"
dieslave wrote:
Im going to assume no, but I guess I can't be 100%. Bur simpply sliding the volume down, imo, wont do anything for processing.

thought you were gonna say you were only 42% sure ;)

sure would be nice to have a dev/staff answer though

Just turning the sound down won't do anything. If you change the shortcut to add -nosound at the end it MIGHT reduce CPU load.
I am fairly sure that simply moving the sliders all the way down will not reduce the CPU load, however running with the --nosound parameter (add it to the PoE shortcut, outside the quotes) should eliminate any CPU usage associated with your sound drivers. This is because while running with --nosound it doesn't use the sound card at all, as if it wasn't there.

If you are using a discrete sound card then the CPU saving probably won't be much, or barely anything. Onboard sound tends to use up more CPU, but it might not be much either, depending on the speed of your CPU.
thanks

i have a core 2 duo e8500 3.16 ghz

i do have onboard sound

trying to reduce mouse pointer stick and stutter

it happens in frequently while POE is running
only while is it "up"
minimized on task bar while i do other tasks it is fine

i'll try this tomorrow and see what happens

you can probably turn the onboard sund card off completely in your bios
you'll save some cycles.. however i dont think you'll notice any improvement, its just not enough cpu cycles to notice..

however, let us know if it helps you..
Things with "increased" and "decreased" in the tooltip are additive ... where as "More" or "Less" are multiplicative ...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info