About loot

Please, don't kill me if this is a question asked millions of times.

Is the loot in PoE more or less random (like D2)? or is it based off of mob type (like Titans Quest)?

*I said "more or less random" because obviously certain high end drops will only fall from boss mobs.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
They haven't said specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be like D2. What makes me think so is a quote from one of their Dev Diaries.

http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2010-11-29/dev-diary4

on the other hand, Action RPGs generally approach item drops in a completely different manner. All monsters have a small chance to drop all items of their level or less.

And now Wittgenstein, I'm afraid I have to kill you...just kidding! :)
I am a poor freezingly cold soul
So far from where
I intended to go
"MAGIC FIND" GEAR

I didn't wanna create a topic for this but...

I saw that items can have a
+% Increased Rarity of Items Found

Don't you think it'll get people into the same vicious cycles of never actually wearing all their nice battle loot cause they are wearing their "magic find" loot to find better... Battle loot (or even to find better magic find loot!)?

Personally I think the whole "magic find" concept is a total blunder because of this: people seldom wear their true battle gear, often preferring to wear "magic find" gear...
>> Allow Home and End keys to quickly travel through the Stash!!!
"
markus7 wrote:

Personally I think the whole "magic find" concept is a total blunder because of this: people seldom wear their true battle gear, often preferring to wear "magic find" gear...

Interesting, I don't think I ever really worried too much about MF gear on all my characters, I pretty much just tricked out one or two characters and farmed with them. Which I thought was kinda fun...

The thing is, the way MF works in PoE may be a lot different than D2. For one, the drop rates may just be a lot different. PoE has that collecting mod (increases number of item found) which I don't think D2 had.

D2 also had some unique and set items that came with high magic find (goldwrap, shako, Tal's set, oculus, etc). Which made the mod a bit easier to trade/farm for. Don't know that PoE will have this.

Also, with D2s crafting system, you could add high magic find to items by adding Topaz to armor, and I believe there was a rune that added to MF as well. Then there's runeworded items like Enigma. PoE's crafting system seems to revolve around randomness (http://pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/171). So, I doubt such thing will be possible.

Also, in D2 it was pretty easy to farm bosses, even in hell if you were powerful enough. I guess my point is that I doubt things will work out the same way.

I don't really have a problem with MF. It's on the decision of the player. Do they want to maximize their survival and kill rate, or sacrifice it for MF?

I am a poor freezingly cold soul
So far from where
I intended to go
Thanks for the info! Glad it isn't like TQ... that was the one thing that kept me from loving the game. Honestly, I killed the last boss and all he dropped was whites.. the first time I killed him lol.
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
---
being able to add/increase magic find on gear would be nice , something specific to work towards. a spot of order in the chaos of random .

they might consider coding mf as an -extra- mod on gear rather than being one of the mods that could fill an items max number of mods.

how about making all magic grade items have magic find ? magic attracts magic .

magic find gems : could have standard mf+per level of the mf gems.
possibly mf gems that draw their quantifier from other effects that the player has equiped .
--mf/p/lv of other gems equiped.
--mf/p percent of specific ele boosts.
--mf/p specific ele damage.
--mf tied to base attributes or other stats

possible quantifiers are limited only by the effects/numbers present in the game already .
I personally LOVED my mf builds, and often if I only had a few minutes to play, a few MF runs would fill the time perfectly.

From my experience/observation, people wear MF gear often (or all the time) to find the perfect gear for their dueling characters.
I love lamp
So far playing the alpha, I'm yet to see anything in PoE that allows you to easily focus your character on magic find.
Unlike D2 you can't just fill all your sockets with topaz.
However if you try hard enough you could eventually find a complete set of magic and rare gear with MF on every piece. This would take a considerably larger amount of effort if you also want that gear to have good sockets and combat mods.
man why was this thread resurrected? lol
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
because I had a different view on the matter.
I love lamp

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info