Nightmare's Hardcore Duel-Totem Hybrid Templar Guide

Hey guys this guide is showcasing an Armor/ES HP build. The reason I am currently running this build is because i feel I can survive a lot better at this point in the game then i would if i was CI/Low life (Do you know how many times Ive dipped into my health? Haha so glad I'm not pure ES). I do however intend to go low life when i can afford the necessary items for it.

Frequently_Asked_Questions

Why Choose Templar over Witch?

Choosing Templar over witch is just a personal Preference. Both have a Decent standing when trying to play duel totems, in my opinion.

Why use Armor/ES gear over pure ES gear?

In almost any Duel totem build the "Body and Soul" nodes will be taken. I feel going Armor/ES makes greater use of these nodes and allows room for more error then just relying on Granite Flasks to provide Armor against close range attacks and Titty Bitches.

Why use Spark over (Ice spear/Ethereal Knives/Freeze pulse/etc.

Spark has several advantages. It deals very effective AoE damage, but it also does fantastic single target damage by placing the totem on top of a mob. On top of this, it has the capability to shock targets, causing them to take 40-120% more damage from both your attacks and those of your party. Ice spear is limited to ranged usage since it must travel a large distance before it transitions to second form and explodes on the target. Ethereal knives suffers from 2 significant problems: mana cost that is too heavy to be supported with CI/low mana and extremely slow cast speed (cast speed scales doubly on totems - the totems are placed quicker and cast more often).

Gems_&_Links

Helm - Spell Totem > Minion Health > Raise Skeletons > Faster Casting
Chest - Spark > Spell Totem > Faster Casting > Fork > Increased Critical Damage > Lightning Penetration
Gloves - Bear Trap > Bear Trap > Bear Trap > Added Fire
Boots - Purity > Discipline > Clarity > Reduced Mana
Shield - Conductivity > Faster Casting > Elemental Weakness
Weapon - Enfeeble > Faster Casting > Temporal Chains

Bandit rewards note: This is all personal preference, as for that I chose to Kill all the bandits in each act for a skill point. Why do you ask? because specs change, skills change, new gear gets created and put into the game. (Getting all the skill points is a lot more flexible then getting the +40 HP from oak then wanting to go CI).

General strategy:

Normal - Buy a Silver-branch with +1 or +2 to bow gems and use poison arrow. You should be at least level 33-35 before leaving Docks and finishing Act 3.

Cruel - Spell totem is rewarded from Merveil's Lair toward the end of act 1 cruel. You will want to add faster casting as a 4th link as soon as you get it since totems scale so well with it (Faster casting improves the speed at which you place totems as well as the speed at which the totem itself casts). As far as progression is concerned, I prefer to overlevel the zones slightly by camping in ledge, fellshrine, and Docks.

Merciless - Double spell totem will likely become viable during ledge farming in merciless. Fellshrine should be farmed until your gear reaches 2,000 HP & 2000-2500 ES (Including discipline). Act 2 progression should not begin until after getting to at least in your 60's I would also strongly advise that you always join a public party.

Endgame - After acquiring endgame gear and leveling in maps, you can continue getting a mix of dps nodes and support nodes. Spell damage/elemental damage/lightning damage add more per point until you can invest heavily into critical nodes and gear.

Current_Equipment_at_level_75

Credit @
Willywonka_HC - Nice guy, got a lot of great information from him.
Dominion - Learned from his guide to help build my own
Last edited by NightmareCF on Apr 23, 2013, 12:15:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info