Regal Orb Petition

"
Insomnis wrote:
I've noticed this Default ladder the Regal face value is declining quite a bit; some don't understand how they work, others just don't feel they work well enough to place any value on them. In the past they were near the Gem Cutters Prism in value, now they are hard to exchange for more than a Chaos Orb. They are nice as they stand but I wanted to make a petition to get the extra stat added bumped to 2 instead of 1 addition stat to a magical item. Currently most magical items have 2 stats a prefix and a suffix then once regaled gain a 3rd out of 6 possible if you use Exalted Orbs on them. I feel granting 4/6 possible stats on a rare wouldn't be too over powered and it would make regaling and rolling items with Alterations more appealing. If I'm alone in this thought, let the thread die out; if you agree with the idea sign it and keep it going. Thanks!

The change would frustrate people who have Regaled there gear currently so to avoid drama I would suggest the change come at a migration period.

it's not out of 6. it's out of 7 for rares

out of 2 for magic
No I'm pretty sure it's 6. Some mods like Armadillo's have more than one effect.
"
pneuma wrote:
The devs don't need to change anything, they've already made their decision.

The drop in the value of regals is because people are getting wise to the "rares of the same name" recipe and they're flooding the market.

Likewise, there's nothing wrong with the value dropping. Just because it was X in the past doesn't mean it must be X. As an example, a divine is a rarer drop than an exalted, but since you'd only use 0-1 divines on a crafted items and anywhere from 3+ exalted, they latter are much more valuable despite being more common (demand up more than supply up).

This will change in the future. Divines will be the end game orb.

Also, like it was said before, Exalted and Regals rarity should be swapped, and a removal of the regal recipe is a must.
Last edited by Worldbreaker on Jun 3, 2012, 9:40:00 PM
Some thoughts on this from my experience in beta.

With every char i make i have had several regal orbs rotting in my stash each time. If one wants to gauge the worth of an orb, one must consider the usefulness of it, and how often it drops. Since ive had so darned many on each patch...i really think the orb and possibly its mechanics should get a good look over.

And to the guy who said this would affect alteration orbs,
I have on more than one occasion burned through 300 alt orbs and still didnt get the mods i wanted on the item. So i dont think this will really be a factor..alts will always be somewhat useful.

The main thing i think is that the problem with the worth of a regal orb somewhat depends on whether or not you have an exalted orb. A 3 mod rare is not very great compared to some of the rare items you can find out there, so the only way to really make the regal useful is if you have 500 alt orbs or an exalted or two (although even that is a gamble).

An alternative to the previously suggested option of making it add a random number of mods, would be to have it reroll the 3rd mod instead of add it.

The usage pattern would be:

1) many Alterations-> perfect your first two mods.
2) Exalted->add your 3rd mod.
3) many Regals-> perfect your 3rd mod
4) Exalted(s)->add your 4th, 5th and 6th mods. (no rerolls possible)

If I'm honest, I think I still prefer the previous suggestion though.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
Last edited by TJJ on Jun 4, 2012, 12:03:04 PM
I think 1 random mod with a 10% chance of adding a 2nd random mod would be a reasonable bump to an otherwise (nearly) worthless orb. I signed the op's petition, but I like the idea of random quantity of mods better.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
I agree for the most part.

The biggest problem with regals is you don't need many - ever. It's too costly to make the perfect 2 mod with alts/augs, and if/when you do get the combo you need, 1 regal is all you need.

It's never worth rerolling all the alts/augs so you either stick with it or try to stack alcs/chaos for rolling mods on another same ilevel item.

If regals stay the way they are, they'll become even more worthless once the majority catch on. At the very least, they should have a divine-like effect on the current mods then add a random. Or choose another of the great ideas in this thread.

I have plenty of 3 name rares and I choose to make 2 name alc because there's no reason for more regals. I'd rather alc items since I usually can expect a 4-7 random mod, two of which are almost always something I could use - same as 60 alts and a regal if you ask me...
I'm the Ps guy: Psomm, Pso, Psong, pso-on and pso-phorth.
Just to clarify this again, a rare item can only have 6 mods.

Some mods have two effects (IPD + accuracy, or Armour + stun recovery). You can see more than 6 lines of text on an item, but there is never more than 6 mods.
"
Psomm wrote:
I agree for the most part.

The biggest problem with regals is you don't need many - ever. It's too costly to make the perfect 2 mod with alts/augs, and if/when you do get the combo you need, 1 regal is all you need.

Well put.

The sinks for spending Regals are too few, and the means of their creation are too many.

Massive oversupply leading to worthlessness.

I think that's the one problem with hzflank's suggestion:
"
hzflank wrote:
I agree with the OP.

Although I would prefer for a regal to add a random number of mods. Perhaps:

1: 55%
2: 35%
3: 8%
4: 2%

While this change would certainly make Regals much 'better', it wouldn't necessarily increase demand for them.
You'd still need to burn through lots of alts/augs to get your good/perfect first two mods before you had need of your Regal.

However the one thing it would do is reduce the demand (and thus value) of Exalted orbs.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
Last edited by TJJ on Jun 4, 2012, 1:18:07 PM
I agree regals are worthless. I got some nice stats on a ring and regald it, resulted in it giving me 8 int. talk about a complete worthless regal, like 8 extra int helped my character in any way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info