Map Management Resource

"
kompaniet wrote:
"
Guys, any general tips on how to maintain currency when rolling high level maps? After running what seems like 4-5 high level maps (75+) I went from around 30 chaos to 10 chaos.

I chisel and alch and chaos those maps until I get at least 1 pack size bonus and good quality along with no half / no regen or anything too dangerous.

It's costing me around 3-4 chaos on average per map and it's eating my stockpile up. Any tips?

http://maps.skyl3lazer.com/1000-data-points-first-impressions/

One can nearly sustain a pool doing nothing but transmute and alterations (+chisels on higher maps).

Clearly if your goal is to constantly be in high level maps, this is a terrible idea but for the solo player who has less concern for these things, its viable.

Still, the empirical study is accurate as far as I know although I'm fairly doubtful on the impact of rare monsters.
Last edited by Lyralei on May 19, 2014, 11:26:17 AM
Just wanted to say thank you to Lyralei and the other contributors for this tool. It has been my most referenced piece of information for Path of Exile.

Thanks and may RNGesus be with you
"
Guys, any general tips on how to maintain currency when rolling high level maps? After running what seems like 4-5 high level maps (75+) I went from around 30 chaos to 10 chaos.

I chisel and alch and chaos those maps until I get at least 1 pack size bonus and good quality along with no half / no regen or anything too dangerous.

It's costing me around 3-4 chaos on average per map and it's eating my stockpile up. Any tips?
1. Choose the right build. If you want to lament build diversity I'm not going to blame you, but a good mapping build is naturally resilient against as many map affixes as possible. For example, if you're planning a life-based Righteous Fire character, you should be assuming you're under Vulnerability and half recovery when you're theorycrafting it, so that those affixes aren't automatic rerolls for you. Build to the map affixes if you want a good map runner, and you'll spend less Chaos on rerolls.

2. Accept challenges. Some map rolls have good quantity but appear to be death traps. Such maps can normally be completed anyway, but to complete them without dying means taking things very slow and playing very cautiously. It can also mean adapting solutions; for example, my map-runner has capped resists and available mana without Purity of Elements, so when I roll an Elemental Weakness map I just turn on that Purity to overcap all of them. Another example is subbing in some Sanctified Manas to deal with half regen. If you're brave and resourceful, you'll spend less Chaos on rerolls.

3. Refine your evaluation rubric. I'm not knocking pack size, but you shouldn't need all of your maps to have it in order to be "good." Try to work out what maps without pack size are still good enough to run. Once you get to 77 or so I think you can start becoming super picky, but at the level you're describing you still have to moderate currency expenditures.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 21, 2014, 9:35:06 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
1. Choose the right build. If you want to lament build diversity I'm not going to blame you, but a good mapping build is naturally resilient against as many map affixes as possible. For example, if you're planning a life-based Righteous Fire character, you should be assuming you're under Vulnerability and half recovery when you're theorycrafting it, so that those affixes aren't automatic rerolls for you. Build to the map affixes if you want a good map runner, and you'll spend less Chaos on rerolls.

2. Accept challenges. Some map rolls have good quantity but appear to be death traps. Such maps can normally be completed anyway, but to complete them without dying means taking things very slow and playing very cautiously. It can also mean adapting solutions; for example, my map-runner has capped resists and available mana without Purity of Elements, so when I roll an Elemental Weakness map I just turn on that Purity to overcap all of them. Another example is subbing in some Sanctified Manas to deal with half regen. If you're brave and resourceful, you'll spend less Chaos on rerolls.

3. Refine your evaluation rubric. I'm not knocking pack size, but you shouldn't need all of your maps to have it in order to be "good." Try to work out what maps without pack size are still good enough to run. Once you get to 77 or so I think you can start becoming super picky, but at the level you're describing you still have to moderate currency expenditures.

Thanks. For build diversity my impression is that relatively few builds can handle no regen / half regen / blood magic mods. My MoM EB EK build cannot handle these mods and I'm forced to reroll when they come up.

I suppose that's a problem for 99% of all "good" builds right now, especially since recently I notice that a lot of builds are going EB AA, and my impression is very few of these builds can do even half regen.

My strategy right now (for our discussion and for others' reference) for sustaining at least a 75 map pool is just to chisel and alch all 75 and higher maps, and right now I'm not picky as to whether I got pack size / magic / rare mods. Just as long as I am confident that I can run the map without dying once is good enough for me.

Great advice from Scrotie about using mana flasks and Purity to potentially deal with the more difficult mods though, so thanks for that.
"
I suppose that's a problem for 99% of all "good" builds right now, especially since recently I notice that a lot of builds are going EB AA, and my impression is very few of these builds can do even half regen.
If by "good" you mean cookie-cutter, then yeah, probably. But it doesn't take that much modification to transform a cookie-cutter AA build which can't handle half recover, to a build which can. You will be weaker overall, but for map running, the ability to handle (or perhaps even shrug off) the half recover affix is priceless. My AA Incinerator loves running half regen.

In terms of Blood Magic, yeah, I'm at a loss. In terms of zero regen, I've got an item switch plan in the works (involving Sanctified Flasks), but I haven't quite gotten it to work yet, and even then I'd probably have to sub in a lower-level AA.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 22, 2014, 3:22:16 AM
I agree with ScrotieMcB. A good build is capable of doing almost any map mods.

My facebreaker duelist can do any map and any mod. Blood magic, reflect, no regen, half regen. All doable. Not a problem.

This build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/445390
Last edited by kompaniet on May 23, 2014, 10:20:08 AM
Thanks a ton for this! I finally got high enough to start maps for the first time, so this was greatly appreciated.

My only question is in regards to what level to run certain maps to. I'm currently 72 and have just been chaining 66 maps for now, building up a supply of 66-68. At what point should I stop doing 66/67/68/etc? Is it just dependent on my supply of maps, or is there a best level to move on to the next level of maps?
Yeah you really should build around being able to do 50%

Blood magic and no regen are the only mods I can't do

Sometimes I'll forgo certain combinations, like splitting,+fleet +chain.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1000307
"
Zinki wrote:
Thanks a ton for this! I finally got high enough to start maps for the first time, so this was greatly appreciated.

My only question is in regards to what level to run certain maps to. I'm currently 72 and have just been chaining 66 maps for now, building up a supply of 66-68. At what point should I stop doing 66/67/68/etc? Is it just dependent on my supply of maps, or is there a best level to move on to the next level of maps?

If you are in Ambush, move up as fast as you can survive. Hitting a Cartographer's box in your highest map will get you a much needed infusion at that level.
Doomed for Life
"
SirDragos wrote:
"
Zinki wrote:

If you are in Ambush, move up as fast as you can survive. Hitting a Cartographer's box in your highest map will get you a much needed infusion at that level.

Suggestions on Cartographer boxes? Use an Alch/Chaos, or just spam Alt until you get a decent upgrade to number of items dropped? Found my first one in a map above levle 70 last night. Went for 50% improved number of items but I think on a magic box "x additional items" may be a better roll if x > 5?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info